You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

top and tail

rd1rd1 Member Posts: 4
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
i just tried out one of sky's new 6 man sng tourneys, "top and tail", where as i'm sure you're aware, payouts are awarded for first and 6th place.
on the first hand i was dealt 23s and was happy to go all in against 3 other opponents in the hopes of getting last place prize.
against me, to the best of my memory, were A5, A3, and Q10.
A5 hit and made a pair of fives, the rest of us missed, so i was expecting to win the prize for last place based on the fact that i had the worst hand after the river, only to find out that because of position, someone went out before me, even though we all went all in, with the same number of chips at the same time.
your views please Mr TK,
richard

Comments

• Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited February 2010
    First player to go all-in and lose is technically the first one out. Position is important, so if another player went all-in before you and lost, then they are the first to go out.
  • Options
    jamesg1987jamesg1987 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2010
    See the 'Just Curious' thread.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    Firstly, unlucky.

If you had been following the thread "Just curious" you would have seen that several intrepid scientists spent 20 seconds this morning working out that when multiple players are eliminated with the same size stack on the same hand then the players are ranked in the order that they went all-in. The last person to go all-in is deemed to have finished higher. It strikes me as a fairly arbitary rule but that's how it seems to work.

I hadn't noticed the arrival of this type of game - it sounds a wizard wheeze by SkyPoker since I guess that the games finish extremely quickly and the turnover must be amazing.

• Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    Hmmmm haven't seen this Sit n Go but forgive me for saying "what a stupid idea" - A tournament that pays last place?????? Don't get it....... don't like it........ but as per DYM's position will decide who went out first
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited February 2010

Hi Richard.

You've got me there I'm afraid, I'm not familiar with "Top & Tail", at least, not in a poker sense. The "other" Top & Tail, well, that'd be some story, but the Mods might get their ban-stick out if I Posted that......

I've had a look in the Lobby, & I cannot see one at the moment, either, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

But from what you say, logically, I'd assume that PokerTrev has nailed it. It would be pretty common for 2 or more players to go Busto first hand, so there'd have to be a way to decide who was the "losing winner", & Pokertrev's reply makes sense to me.

If in doubt, speak or write to Customer Care.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so, in theory, if you're lucky enough to be UTG on the first hand, your only move is all-in?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: top and tail:
    so, in theory, if you're lucky enough to be UTG on the first hand, your only move is all-in?
    Posted by rd1
    No - you could Fold, knowing that, assuming someone goes busto, you now only have 4 players to beat?

I think, if I may say so, it's just "novelty poker", & many peeps enjoy that sort of thing, but I don't think it stands close scrutiny as anything other than what it is - a bit of fun..
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: top and tail : No - you could Fold, knowing that, assuming someone goes busto, you now only have 4 players to beat? I think, if I may say so, it's just "novelty poker", & many peeps enjoy that sort of thing, but I don't think it stands close scrutiny as anything other than what it is - a bit of fun..
    Posted by Tikay10

How is the payout structured in these comps? How much is first compared to last?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    Posted by rd1
    Depending on the payouts (i.e. 1st relative to last) I'd say that this was a good move.
    Either you get knocked out and cash or you gain chips although possibly (but unlikely) only the blinds.
    If everyone folds after you, it is definitely then correct for the BB to call since he is guaranteed to go out first or double up (or very occasionally split the pot with you).

It seems a very "solvable" game and a little odd.
    I'd say that the person drawn UTG has a massive advantage in this type of game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i agree it is only a bit of fun, and at micro stakes level not something to be taken too seriously, but this particular tourney, which seems to not be available now, was a 50p (+10p) 6man sng with 1st and 6th both paying £1.50. no other prizes