You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Any thoughts on this hand?

Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
edited October 2017 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Card4Life Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £20.98
Sheee Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £13.54
  Your hole cards
  • K

penn Fold     
nalotofdet Fold     
xxxxx         Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £19.40
Tamzay Fold     
Card4Life Raise  £2.30 £3.20 £18.68
Sheee Fold     
xxxxx       Call  £1.80 £5.00 £17.60
Flop

Card4Life Check     
xxxxx           Check     
Turn

Card4Life Bet  £3.75 £8.75 £14.93
xxxxx          Call  £3.75 £12.50 £13.85
River

• K

Card4Life Check     
xxxxx          All-in  £13.85 £26.35 £0.00
Card4Life Call  £13.85 £40.20 £1.08
Card4Life Show
  • K

xxxxx           Show

xxxxx           Win Three 10s £38.40  £38.40

Comments

• Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2017

All I knew about villain was that he was pretty tight and fairly passive ..... but this info was the last time I played against him ......which was months ago.

Many thanks peeps!!

• stretch83stretch83 Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Any thoughts on this hand?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Card4Life Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £20.98 Sheee Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £13.54   Your hole cards K 7       penn Fold         nalotofdet Fold         xxxxx         Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.40 Tamzay Fold         Card4Life Raise   £2.30 £3.20 £18.68 Sheee Fold         xxxxx       Call   £1.80 £5.00 £17.60 Flop     2 6 8       Card4Life Check         xxxxx           Check         Turn     10       Card4Life Bet   £3.75 £8.75 £14.93 xxxxx          Call   £3.75 £12.50 £13.85 River     K       Card4Life Check         xxxxx          All-in   £13.85 £26.35 £0.00 Card4Life Call   £13.85 £40.20 £1.08 Card4Life Show K 7       xxxxx           Show 10 10       xxxxx           Win Three 10s £38.40   £38.40
    Posted by Card4Life

Hi Cardforlife,

Thanks for posting the hand history.

You really shouldn't have entered the pot pre-flop with King 7 suited Under the gun, especially when facing a pre-flop raise from someone that has position on you.

You also seem to have made good notes on the player being tight so you should respect their raises a little more.

Anyway you have raised a made a massive over-bet and have faced a call.  This should really send alarm bells ringing, remember the old adage you have to have a stronger hand to call then to raise.  I think you could have made the raise smaller if you wanted to raise, and a raise is better than calling I suppose as gives you a chance to take the pot down pre because you certainly don't want to be playing this hand out of position.

When the flop does not really improve your hand you should really be check/folding however as you have overbet you have a fair bit invested in the pot and I think this is what has led you to trying to take the pot down.

The turn improves your hand slightly needing a 9 to complete the straight however you only have 7 outs assuming a pair of kings are good which is about 14% chance to improve your hand.  

When the River comes and improves your hand to Kings you are in a world of pain, I think you just have to go with the hand at this stage, but remember you shouldn't really have got this far and have paid the price of playing a weak holding.  Kings with a weak kicker is usually a hand most would want to check/call with however the all-in potentially makes better hands fold however it is just so unlikely that you are good here the way the hand has played out.

I would recommend looking at some pre-flop charts for hands that you should be playing pre, and then some charts for facing pre-flop raises and start evaulating your hand strength and re-evaulating on each street.

• hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited October 2017
    You're trying to sell a story and so should be c-betting this flop.

6d is a pretty important card and potentially gives us leverage to take an aggressive line on a number of different turn cards (any diamond, any 4, any 5, any 9)

As played I think after checking flop then betting turn (and being called) its an easy check/fold on river, unlikely a tight passive villain will be taking off with worse or trying to steal, and there are no real missed draws you can hero call off.

• The--DonThe--Don Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2017
    I'm not sure I'd be doing much 3bet bluffing out of position vs players I thought were tight/passive and given that read, I think folding pre-flop would make most sense.

If you want to have a 3bet bluff range vs this player, I'd pick some bigger SC's rather than something that isn't connected and lacks playability post flop.

As played, I think cbetting the flop, rather than giving up would be better. We don't have any SD value but can definitely get folds from some better hands. We can barrel turn diamonds 5's and 9's too.

When he calls the turn, he has to have some kind of showdown value a huge amount of the time. So, when he jams the river, I can't see enough potential bluffs in his range to call down.

The player type you described doesn't turn made hands into bluffs here, so I think we can strongly consider folding.
  • Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2017
    Many thanks for your insights all ,

very much appreciated and well thought out , pretty much a botch job from the start :D

Thanks again for your assistance !

• FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, agree with some of what the others have said. 3betting seems unneccassary, you even provide a good reason as to not doing so, player in question is tight and opening ep. As played we should certainly cbet, there are a lot of good turns for us and we can but a lot of his overcards in tough situations on the flop, and some of his overpairs 99 tt jj in tough spots on certain runouts. I don't hate a turn bet as played, if you think he just folds high cards, I think we could make it smaller if we're targetting just those hands. On the end its just an easy check fold, he isn't going to find many bluffs here, probably not any, and never value bets worse, all his weaker showdown stuff is just gonna check. I would much rather jam for thin value from  99 JTs JJ QQ type hands, but this would be extremely thin, and I think check fold is just better
  • weedgiweedgi Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2017
    if your going to 3bet here i would cont bet the flop nearlly almost

as played i  check fold river   ,tight pasv players dont jam/bluff rvrs light much , not really any draws missed 

wish you would play this bad vs me lol     
  • LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited October 2017
    In Response to Any thoughts on this hand?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Card4Life Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £20.98 Sheee Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £13.54   Your hole cards K 7       penn Fold         nalotofdet Fold         xxxxx         Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.40 Tamzay Fold         Card4Life Raise   £2.30 £3.20 £18.68 Sheee Fold         xxxxx       Call   £1.80 £5.00 £17.60 Flop     2 6 8       Card4Life Check         xxxxx           Check         Turn     10       Card4Life Bet   £3.75 £8.75 £14.93 xxxxx          Call   £3.75 £12.50 £13.85 River     K       Card4Life Check         xxxxx          All-in   £13.85 £26.35 £0.00 Card4Life Call   £13.85 £40.20 £1.08 Card4Life Show K 7       xxxxx           Show 10 10       xxxxx           Win Three 10s £38.40   £38.40
    Posted by Card4Life

So you decided to get funky with the k7 aka the Henrik Larsson.

I like your style.

As for the hand...It's a board villain is going to call a lot of c bets on, so giving ups absolutely fine. 

Don't really love the turn bet, it's also a massive bet! If you were going to bet, bet flop.

Once you've checked flop probably just check fold turn. Otr, as played, x fold to his slight overbet jam, he's not betting this with k8 or even kq right, so very happy folding here.