You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

was there enough outs to justify a call

weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancexxSmall blind 10.0010.001990.00YovkaBig blind 20.0030.001980.00lillieSit out     Your hole cardsJQ   jedinemoFold    weecheez1Call 20.0050.001940.00xxCall 10.0060.001980.00YovkaCheck    Flop  693   xxCheck    YovkaBet 60.00120.001920.00weecheez1Call 60.00180.001880.00xxCall 60.00240.001920.00Turn  8   xxCheck    YovkaBet 240.00480.001680.00weecheez1Call 240.00720.001640.00xxAll-in 1920.002640.000.00YovkaFold    weecheez1All-in 1640.004280.000.00xxUnmatched bet 40.004240.0040.00xxShow75   weecheez1ShowJQ   River  K   xxWinStraight to the 94240.00 4280.00

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    not posted for a wee while so i thought i wuold do this one from a bounty hunter this morning early in bhs i tend to take a few chances to try and get a good start was this call just to far
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited October 2017
    Raise pre, raise flop imo :)

As played would prefer calling river if we have him covered for bounty
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    In Response to Re: was there enough outs to justify a call:
    Raise pre, raise flop imo :) As played would prefer calling river if we have him covered for bounty
    Posted by Angmar2626
    Yep raise pre should have been a given when I decided to go with it. I tend to get into trouble with suited connecters because I don't play them properly 
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited October 2017
    You have so little invested and dont know what outs are actually good. It might be we have any heart, jack or queen but we could be up against a set or two pair or a bigger flush draw. With a drawing hand if we can get our money in first then we can fold out better at times. From seeing some of the hands you post you seem to take passive lines so are often calling off your money rather than putting our opponent to the test. Always raise pre, if you dont want to raise pre then you probably shouldnt be playing the hand in the first place. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    You have so little invested and dont know what outs are actually good. It might be we have any heart, jack or queen but we could be up against a set or two pair or a bigger flush draw. With a drawing hand if we can get our money in first then we can fold out better at times. From seeing some of the hands you post you seem to take passive lines so are often calling off your money rather than putting our opponent to the test. Always raise pre, if you dont want to raise pre then you probably shouldnt be playing the hand in the first place. 
    Posted by MattBates
    Thanks Matt will try and break bad habits
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    edited October 2017
    Raise pre as has been said. Gives you initative in the hand, and means we don't have to hit and win pots. If you watch the best tournament players on sky, you'll notice that they are often raising or reraising, as opposed to being passive. From the button we have a lovely hand to raise up here. Perhaps you could sample with taking the initiative more preflop and see how it goes for you instead of playing passively, like Matt says you seem to in a lot of the hands you post. Without going into too much depth, you can easily justify raising up a rough range of 54s+ 64s+ 78o+ Ax+ Kxs+ 22+ Q4s+ j7s+ k8o +q9o+ j9o, playing this deep on the button, even wider if your opponents play generally weak, i.e are passive and fit fold a lot on the flop.

It is difficult to properly analyse a hand in which we have taken a passive action preflop when we should always raise, but as played I think the play is to just call flop, we don't want to raise get it in here, and we have position so even if we miss the turn can try and take the pot vs weakness, or call and see a river. Turn we have no option but to call the pot size bet with a strong draw in position, especially as being in position we are more likely to get paid off when we hit (oop we would have to check to the raiser, or lead out and make our hand look super obvious + make our range much weaker when we have a hand we want to check, although perhaps you don't need to think this deeply at low stakes). As played when he jams its just a sigh fold, we don't have enough outs vs a hand which is always going to be 2 pairs+ imo. I think if he was going to be aggressive with a draw he would do so on the flop, and a lot of his one pair + straight draws are just calling every time.

The main takeaway it to try and be more aggressive. If you don't feel comfortable raising the range I suggested on the button, you could try out starting off tighter until you feel better about it, something like A2s + A8o + KTo + K8s+ QTo+ Q8s+ JTo + 87s+ J9s+ 44.  I would love to see the next hand you post to the tournament strategy board a hand where you tried to play it aggressively and took initative
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Raise pre as has been said. Gives you initative in the hand, and means we don't have to hit and win pots. If you watch the best tournament players on sky, you'll notice that they are often raising or reraising, as opposed to being passive. From the button we have a lovely hand to raise up here. Perhaps you could sample with taking the initiative more preflop and see how it goes for you instead of playing passively, like Matt says you seem to in a lot of the hands you post. Without going into too much depth, you can easily justify raising up a rough range of 54s+ 64s+ 78o+ Ax+ Kxs+ 22+ Q4s+ j7s+ k8o +q9o+ j9o, playing this deep on the button, even wider if your opponents play generally weak, i.e are passive and fit fold a lot on the flop. It is difficult to properly analyse a hand in which we have taken a passive action preflop when we should always raise, but as played I think the play is to just call flop, we don't want to raise get it in here, and we have position so even if we miss the turn can try and take the pot vs weakness, or call and see a river. Turn we have no option but to call the pot size bet with a strong draw in position, especially as being in position we are more likely to get paid off when we hit (oop we would have to check to the raiser, or lead out and make our hand look super obvious + make our range much weaker when we have a hand we want to check, although perhaps you don't need to think this deeply at low stakes). As played when he jams its just a sigh fold, we don't have enough outs vs a hand which is always going to be 2 pairs+ imo. I think if he was going to be aggressive with a draw he would do so on the flop, and a lot of his one pair + straight draws are just calling every time. The main takeaway it to try and be more aggressive. If you don't feel comfortable raising the range I suggested on the button, you could try out starting off tighter until you feel better about it, something like A2s + A8o + KTo + K8s+ QTo+ Q8s+ JTo + 87s+ J9s+ 44.  I would love to see the next hand you post to the tournament strategy board a hand where you tried to play it aggressively and took initative
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    gave it a try last night in the mini and had a min cash no real hands of note and went hand dead for a good hour its hard to change the way you play but i will try and keep at it