You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

merenovice can you answer my wifes question

BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

i hate the way poker is shown on tv programmes always 4 kings losing to 4 aces
i was watching the exellent shameless last night when there was a poker game
liam gallagher (age 11) has cunningly slow played a straight flush to the king only to be beaten by all round cad joe (sorry dont know his surname) with a royal flush.
they both had all five cards in there hand and there were no comunity cards on the table.
my missus who has just started playing holdem on skypoker asked me what game were they playing and what were the odds of those hands coming out
i replied god knows
then thinking about it i thought if he doesnt merenovice will!

Comments

• Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    I thought the question was can you teach my husband to find the errrr...... errr.... car keys.  I can never find the car keys when i am looking!!

With no draws the chance of being dealt a royal flush are 1:649,740
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited March 2010
    In Response to merenovice can you answer my wifes question:
    i hate the way poker is shown on tv programmes always 4 kings losing to 4 aces i was watching the exellent shameless last night when there was a poker game liam gallagher (age 11) has cunningly slow played a straight flush to the king only to be beaten by all round cad joe (sorry dont know his surname) with a royal flush. they both had all five cards in there hand and there were no comunity cards on the table. my missus who has just started playing holdem on skypoker asked me what game were they playing and what were the odds of those hands coming out i replied god knows then thinking about it i thought if he doesnt merenovice will!
    Posted by BADBOY985
    The odds of this hand occuring is a 100% certainty as it was a tv programme and the cards were fixed to allow this, the odds of this happening in 'real life' where the cards are not fixed i would say are less than 100% - i hope this helps
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited March 2010
    I don't know the odds of a straight flush against a royal flush from the same deck but the game they would have been playing will be 5 card Draw i presume
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice can you answer my wifes question:
    I thought the question was can you teach my husband to find the errrr...... errr.... car keys.  I can never find the car keys when i am looking!! With no draws the chance of being dealt a royal flush are  1:649,740
    Posted by Sparce
    I'm not sure what nomenclature you're using here but I would use a colon in this context to represent a ratio, so I would say that the odds of being dealt a royal flush in 5 card draw are 1:649,739  (or 1 in 649,740).

You are 9 times more likely to get dealt a random straight flush as a royal flush so the odds of the straight flush are:
    1 in 72,193.

If the two guys are playing heads up, the odds of these two hands being dealt together are then roughly:
    1 in 4,690,400,000.

This would qualify under the description of "rare".
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited March 2010
    many thanks
    there were 5 people at the table so that probalby rates as "rather rare indeed"
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice can you answer my wifes question:
    In Response to Re: merenovice can you answer my wifes question : I'm not sure what nomenclature you're using here but I would use a colon in this context to represent a ratio, so I would say that the odds of being dealt a royal flush in 5 card draw are 1:649,739  (or 1 in 649,740). You are 9 times more likely to get dealt a random straight flush as a royal flush so the odds of the straight flush are: 1 in 72,193. If the two guys are playing heads up, the odds of these two hands being dealt together are then roughly: 1 in 4,690,400,000 . This would qualify under the description of " rare ".
    Posted by MereNovice
    One of my favourite words - I so love that. And you, sometimes.
  • Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    i am using mathematical nomenclature????
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited March 2010
    Fiddy fiddy,

happens or it doesn't!!!!

Maffs, hu needs it?!!?