You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Live Tournament Hand Last Night...

Ads2kukAds2kuk Member Posts: 582
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey guys,

Played in the £50 Freezeout at Luton last night...

Sat down with the idea to play tight and get an image of strength at the table...managed to do well and stay at around 13k till about the 3rd level in.

I look down at Pocket JJs..Blinds are 100/200...The guy under the gun raises too 600. Folds to me in mid position & flat called. Everyone else folds... The flop comes out Jc Qd 8c. Im liking this alot, he bets out a 600 again...I decided to just flat call. The turn comes a 2. He bets out 1,200. Now at this stage I put him on KKs/AAs or AQ..I re raise to 3,800. He puts on a show and then pushes for the remaining chips he had which were about 8k. I called and he turned over 9c 10c. He HIT the flop MASSIVELY! The river came a nothing card...

That pretty much ruined the rest of my tournament and I busted out about 3 levels later..

I was just wondering how everyone would play this in my position? Are people re-raise Pre Flop with position too? Are people re-raising on the flop? I just genuinely felt I had him dominated and definately didn't put him on 9 10 because of the Pre Flop raise UTG...

Be good to see what you guys think...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mabsuemabsue Member Posts: 382
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Live Tournament Hand Last Night...:
    Hey guys, Played in the £50 Freezeout at Luton last night... Sat down with the idea to play tight and get an image of strength at the table...managed to do well and stay at around 13k till about the 3rd level in. I look down at Pocket JJs..Blinds are 100/200...The guy under the gun raises too 600. Folds to me in mid position & flat called. Everyone else folds... The flop comes out Jc Qd 8c. Im liking this alot, he bets out a 600 again...I decided to just flat call. The turn comes a 2. He bets out 1,200. Now at this stage I put him on KKs/AAs or AQ..I re raise to 3,800. He puts on a show and then pushes for the remaining chips he had which were about 8k. I called and he turned over 9c 10c. He HIT the flop MASSIVELY! The river came a nothing card... That pretty much ruined the rest of my tournament and I busted out about 3 levels later.. I was just wondering how everyone would play this in my position? Are people re-raise Pre Flop with position too? Are people re-raising on the flop? I just genuinely felt I had him dominated and definately didn't put him on 9 10 because of the Pre Flop raise UTG... Be good to see what you guys think... Thanks!
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    After the flop your in a world of pain but pre flop only thing you could do is re raise to try and establish how strong he really is with that raise  utg  its a cooler after the flop tho m8  v ul
  • Options
    tikay1tikay1 Member Posts: 741
    edited March 2010

Hi Ads,

A little unlucky, but if you want to be self-critical, which I think is the way to look at these things - "could I have played it better/differently?", the clue is here.....

"....The guy under the gun raises too 600. Folds to me in mid position & flat called...."

If you re-Raise him pre, it's game over.

You had a re-draw, of course, & were probz never folding on that Flop, but when he shoved, before you Called, did you give consideration to the possibility that he might have 9-10, or Q-Q??

I hate calling all-in on Level 3 in a Live Tourney. Sit tight, be patient, & it's quite amazing how fast the front-runners will fall by the wayside.

Bit of a cooler really, "mostly" never passing on that flop, but go back to the root cause of the problem - that smooth call pre-flop, imo.
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited March 2010
    happens to me all the time.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited March 2010
    whats reads on villain.  how old? nationality? 

vs some villains i flat like you but most of the time i make it 1.8 to go.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Appreciate the feedback/comments guys...

I definately should of re-raised pre flop...I did ask him what he would of done if I did and he said "Too be honest I'm probably calling depending how much it is...it would have to be big". 

I thought for quite a while when he shoved and I did actually say at the time, I think he may have Pocket Qs....I feel I could of folded that but it was just too big to put down on the turn.

Ah well, Im sure I'll hit a big hand like that at some point!

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament Hand Last Night...:
    Hi Ads, A little unlucky, but if you want to be self-critical, which I think is the way to look at these things - "could I have played it better/differently?", the clue is here..... "....The guy under the gun raises too 600. Folds to me in mid position & flat called.. .." If you re-Raise him pre, it's game over. You had a re-draw, of course, & were probz never folding on that Flop, but when he shoved, before you Called, did you give consideration to the possibility that he might have 9-10, or Q-Q?? I hate calling all-in on Level 3 in a Live Tourney. Sit tight, be patient, & it's quite amazing how fast the front-runners will fall by the wayside. Bit of a cooler really, "mostly" never passing on that flop, but go back to the root cause of the problem - that smooth call pre-flop, imo.
    Posted by tikay1

Norrrrr this is terrible advice unless you have a read on your opponent.

How would the advice been if thread went along the lines

UTG open I 3 bet jacks and he moves in. everyone will say fold. 

if once hero folded he gets shown TT did we play bad/give bad advice?

Flat calling is perfect and the phrase, 'the flop comes QJ8 which I like'  is awesome and really made me laugh.

IMO you played the hand perfectly flat calling preflop as to 3 bet would be over rep our hand. Once the flop comes down I also like how you played it. Just because villain had the nuts this time doesn't mean that we didn't play the hand well it is just a cooler.

Now that you have seen that he is willing to raise with such speculative hands under the gun you would in future be willing to do one of two things in this situation- re raise pre flop having already decided if you are going with your hand (if you're not then it's a bad idea to re-raise in the first place) or to put  a raise in on alot of flops that are good for your hand. Until you have this sort of information though the preflop action should pretty much always be a flat call.

If you were to say in your initial hand explanation that villain was a loosey goosey and just got it in with 65s preflop, being the one who called then you could look to play your jacks differently.
  • Options
    saskia2110saskia2110 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    HAD A FEW BAD  EXPERIENCES WITH JJ  LAST NITE  PLAYED THEM ALL DIFFRENTLY  LOST MOST OF THEM  TIKAY S  RIGHT  GET THEM IN EARLY   ONLY  GOING  TO GET CALLED  WITH  JJ  OR HIGHER  ANOTHER GRAND  IS FREE BLIND ROUND   TAKE IT  YOUR A MILKER   WITH NO BALLS   GET THEM CHIPS IN  EARLY  AND REAP REWARDS L.O.L.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament Hand Last Night... : Norrrrr this is terrible advice unless you have a read on your opponent. How would the advice been if thread went along the lines UTG open I 3 bet jacks and he moves in. everyone will say fold.  if once hero folded he gets shown TT did we play bad/give bad advice? Flat calling is perfect and the phrase, 'the flop comes QJ8 which I like'   is awesome and really made me laugh. IMO you played the hand perfectly flat calling preflop as to 3 bet would be over rep our hand. Once the flop comes down I also like how you played it. Just because villain had the nuts this time doesn't mean that we didn't play the hand well it is just a cooler. Now that you have seen that he is willing to raise with such speculative hands under the gun you would in future be willing to do one of two things in this situation- re raise pre flop having already decided if you are going with your hand (if you're not then it's a bad idea to re-raise in the first place) or to put  a raise in on alot of flops that are good for your hand. Until you have this sort of information though the preflop action should pretty much always be a flat call. If you were to say in your initial hand explanation that villain was a loosey goosey and just got it in with 65s preflop, being the one who called then you could look to play your jacks differently.
    Posted by beaneh
    Beaneh - I KNOW the Villain very well, he's a Luton League regular, he told me the story today. He'll raise with ATC every hand, & snap-fold to any resistance. He's a Premiership spewer, Pop him pre every time, he's the value, next case.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    HAD A FEW BAD  EXPERIENCES WITH JJ  LAST NITE  PLAYED THEM ALL DIFFRENTLY  LOST MOST OF THEM  TIKAY S  RIGHT  GET THEM IN EARLY   ONLY  GOING  TO GET CALLED  WITH  JJ  OR HIGHER  ANOTHER GRAND  IS FREE BLIND ROUND   TAKE IT  YOUR A MILKER   WITH NO BALLS   GET THEM CHIPS IN  EARLY  AND REAP REWARDS L.O.L.
    Posted by saskia2110
    Against this particular Villain, this is always my line. We cannot assign a range to him, so we get no reads on the Flop, he can have anything. Kill the hand, move on.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament Hand Last Night... : Beaneh - I KNOW the Villain very well, he's a Luton League regular, he told me the story today. He'll raise with ATC every hand, & snap-fold to any resistance. He's a Premiership spewer, Pop him pre every time, he's the value, next case.
    Posted by tikay1

Okies was saying in regards to someone we have no reads on as was the information given; you want to call because you'll get in such terrible spots when when they continue and pretty much regardless of how they continue. 

Sets are fun but you can't beat soooted :-) 
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah well it's good to know the hand had a big effect on his tournament (Like it did on mine haha)...You know how he got on in the end Tikay? I stayed around till final table and saw he was stacked quite nice because he hit Trip 10s against my mates QQs.
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2010
    9-10 clubs, my fav hand. was it me? lol
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    9-10 clubs, my fav hand. was it me? lol
    Posted by hurst05
    If you was at Luton last night and beat JJs with it then, yes it was ;) Lol.