You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Social Media

tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
What are people's views on Social Media pro's and cons? Facebook, Twitter, etc etc.
It's a fact of 21st century life that we have 24/7 news be it 'fake' or otherwise, social media plays a huge part in this and I feel it doesn't do journalism any favours when any Tom, ****, or Harry can post any number of real or unreal stories.
The fact that the youth of today ( and most adults)are constantly on their I phones, IPads or Pc's viewing, updating, commenting on people's lives is somewhat disturbing.
How teachers cope in classrooms is beyond me if the pupils are allowed their phones in class in case of "an emergency"
The Internet is now open to any manner of disturbing images, grooming, tweeting.
I feel when I was young we had the innocence of youth which the children of today are being robbed of.
People can be unjustly tarred with all manner of accusations, once they have the finger pointed at online, the old adage of " There's no smoke without fire" seems to be the order of the day and clearing your name is nigh on impossible.
Please post comments, it would be good to see people's thoughts on this matter.

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,149
    Hi Tom,

Interesting subject this, saw last night then had stuff to do.
    Thought there would have been a few comments by now, anyway here is my take on it.

The internet has been so amazing in so many ways;
    The fact I can converse with so many diverse people across the globe still tickles me, I can access so much information so easily, it really has revolutionised how we interact with people and businesses.

Of course the very thing which is so wonderful is also at the heart of the problem you describe, the ease of information sharing, the access to people and the way in which the information can be used and manipulated.

Whether it be indoctrination, false information (either intentionally or not), the lack of privacy, peer pressure, societal pressure, targeted marketing and many, many other things.

I have two children and I see first hand how influenced they are by social media, as a parent trying to keep up to date with whatever trends is a full time job (when wasn't it though?), just as we used to hide everything 'exciting' from our parent so does this generation, when we know about it they will do something new.

I try to make sure that they get balanced (aye, ofc, sigh ;) ) view from myself and Lisa and encourage them to discuss stuff they see and read.

I find that they are indeed more Worldly wise than I was at that age, but they are still kids and do wonderfully silly 'kid' stuff so I don't think its all doom and gloom.

All that coming from a glass half empty kind of chap as well..... :)

Neil
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    tomgoodun said:

How teachers cope in classrooms is beyond me if the pupils are allowed their phones in class in case of "an emergency"

In my experience, what happens is:

If there's an emergency, or a legitimate reason for you to have your phone, then let the teacher know at the start of the lesson and they're almost always okay with it. They get grumpy if you have your phone on for a legitimate reason and you don't tell them, then you just suddenly disappear out of the classroom to take a call, understandably so. Obviously if you have an 'emergency' every lesson, they're going to tell you to stop taking the mick.

If you're just playing on your phone in class:
    In secondary school they'll just confiscate your phone, usually for the rest of the lesson. Used to be for the rest of the day when I was at school but that always created problems with "But I have to phone XYZ at lunch time" or whatever excuses that kids would come up with, or they'd just flat out refuse and hold the rest of the class up for like 5-10 minutes arguing with the teacher.

Nowadays though, they integrate phone apps into classes a lot more, and often there'll be online worksheets on a school/college's website that are self-marking (Particularly for things like maths where your answer is either right or wrong), so you can't really take a kid's phone away for the rest of the day any more because they'll say "But we always use phones for X in my next class".

Been back at College since September '16 here, having previously been to College in 2010. Teachers really aren't that bothered about phones. If you're going to sit on your phone and not work then it's your problem, not theirs, on the basis that it's your choice to come to College. League tables aren't the be all and end all any longer, although they're obviously nice to have good results in. They'll try to encourage you to do work instead, but as long as you're not distracting everyone else then they really aren't THAT bothered about it, although it becomes a problem when you're showing a YouTube video to everyone else in the back row. You'll probably get a talking to after the lesson if you're failing that class because you're on your phone the whole time though, about whether you really want to be on the course or whatever.

There's a few things that regularly get used in class on my phone, one is a graph app and teachers will often say "Load X app and plot f(x) = whatever". I suppose the idea of that is so that we're actually doing it and discovering for ourselves rather than just listening to someone talk about it, so it's more likely to go into our brain. Does help tbf.

Something called Kahoot gets used a lot too, where teacher sets up a quiz in advance and your phone is basically a remote control to select what you think the right answer is. Again, technology is there to make lessons more fun/interactive and it helps some people remember information, so might as well use it from a teacher's POV if everyone's going to have phones on them anyway.

Obviously it's pretty useful to have instant internet access for things like research as well, as it avoids the situation where there's a couple of thousand students and not enough computer rooms, or only one library. Always caused problems in secondary school when the teacher couldn't get an IT room or laptops booked, but phones get around that problem.

Overall, if someone wants to learn, then it's probably a good thing for them to have a phone in class. If they don't want to learn, then it's just a distraction. I was sat in Psychology class with my cousin doing notes for revision etc earlier today, and he was on Tinder for most of the lesson (I thought I was fussy with women until today...), like what is even the point in signing up for College and turning up for class if you're just gonna do that the entire time. Doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited December 2017
    tomgoodun said:

What are people's views on Social Media pro's and cons? Facebook, Twitter, etc etc.
    It's a fact of 21st century life that we have 24/7 news be it 'fake' or otherwise, social media plays a huge part in this and I feel it doesn't do journalism any favours when any Tom, ****, or Harry can post any number of real or unreal stories.
    The fact that the youth of today ( and most adults)are constantly on their I phones, IPads or Pc's viewing, updating, commenting on people's lives is somewhat disturbing.

Re: 1st part - Journalism has been a joke to me for as long as I can remember tbh. If the news has taught me anything, it's to fact check everything, and also to not bother reading/watching the news.

Do find it disturbing how much kids nowadays are on the internet. Got a cousin who I think is either 9 or 10 next week, pretty much impossible to get him away from his phone/tablet/TV/Xbox. Been instructed to get him a £10 gift card for GAME for his birthday, which I'll get because that's what their parents want me to get, but it's slightly tilt. He's already got about a billion games, it really doesn't help him in any way for me to put money towards yet more video games. I do understand how kids want the latest FIFA/CoD/whatever, I've been there. I just don't like contributing further towards an unhealthy balance.

Things like obesity, dyslexia and ADHD are all on the rise, in part due to kids being given TVs, phones, games etc - While there's obv other factors like increased awareness, we've definitely got a problem with how we introduce children to technology without them becoming totally addicted. Check out "Toxic Childhood" by Sue Palmer if the whole issue of kids being on phones/PCs/Games all the time is something that interests you.

I'd rather chip in twice as much towards a bike or something in the situation. Get the kid riding around outside and at least exercising and getting healthier.

Main concern for me is their physical health because they just don't get any exercise whatsoever, and there's not really anything out there on how not exercising enough as a child is going to effect an entire generation of adults. Scary to think how I was when I was that age, could just run around all day and not get tired, then compare with younger cousin and think "He'd probably be dead if you tried to get him to run around outside playing football for an hour".
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    I like your above post I live by a school that rents out there all weather football pitch every evening to five year old and up to 16 years off age, they love there football,and the school earns extra money by renting there pitch out x
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Thanks for the feedback all, I think the negatives of social media far outweigh the positives.
    When the leader one of the most nuked up countries in the world resorts to tweeting insults which could in turn lead to WW3 it's just not ' trolling' anymore.
    Agree re kids needing more excersise too, when I as a lad we used to play football/cricket pretty much all of our spare time, now I'm a picture of health in my latter years...😊