You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Film/Television club - Reviews & recommendations

2»

Comments

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    Field Of Dreams- some people don't get it.

(Is this Heaven? It's Iowa.)
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Planned to watch something from the recommendations in bed last night. Settled on 'The Lost Room' which I think Tom recommended. Couldn't find it available anywhere to watch so sifted through the thread again and selected 'Fargo'. Got up to bed, coffee and ciggies glass of water in tow, all prepared, and fell asleep. Will probably start Fargo tonight.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,684
    Three billboards outside ebbing missouri outstanding film
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    If you don't mind subtitles, LA casa de papel is great,its on Netflix

Of course peaky blinders is prob the best UK series ever ( ime taking it everyone has seen it)

Rocknrolla is a very good gangster movie (few years old now)

True romance ,one of the best crime movies I've seen ( good few years old,but tarrantinos best film IMO )

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,371

Of course peaky blinders is prob the best UK series ever ( ime taking it everyone has seen it)

True romance ,one of the best crime movies I've seen ( good few years old,but tarrantinos best film IMO )

Not EVERYONE - I never watch fictional based films or TV.
  • Options

True Romance is an often underrated and overlooked film. Really enjoyed that one!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    True Romance is fantastic
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    Haven’t seen Peaky Blinders because the name of the series annoys me
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    If, like me, you enjoy viewing sophisticated thought provoking television then do yourselves a favour and watch/buy/steal Six Feet Under.

Superlative.
  • Options
    Rather bizarrely, as I am a big sci-fi fan, I only seen Stanley Kubrik's '2001 A Space Odyssey' for the first time about a week ago.

If you have never seen this it is worth a watch. A very unique film which has stood up to the test of time rather well, especially considering it was released in 1968!

It is long and there is little dialogue at times so it requires the viewer to use a little imagination. Well worth the effort though.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    If you like documentary type programmes ,the 3 I like watching at the moment are.

Hunting Hitler ( on its 3rd season I think) the evidence they are uncovering makes it look very unlikely that Hitler died in the bunker,and most prob made it to other country's.

The curse of oak island (on its 3rd or 4th season I think) if any of you have ever heard the story of the money pit you will enjoy it,basically they are hunting for treasure,but its very difficult to get at,as the people who buried it a few hundred years ago,seem to have had engineering skills
    that even today they can't work out how they done it ( if its there at all)

Gold rush (has a few seasons) about different crews of modern day gold prospectors,a lot of highs and lows on it.

They are all on the history or discovery channels.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,744
    The Night Manager, superb series.
    Peaky Blinders ( If only to watch Tom Hardy perform one of his best roles )
  • Options
    5501355013 Member Posts: 336
    I watched 'Kes' again last night, probably for about the 20th time although i have not watched it for a couple of years or so. Top quality Ken Loach film from 1969 and well worth a watch if you have not seen it. The book 'A Kestrel for a Knave' is very good too.
  • Options
    I watched the first 4 episodes of mcmafia on BBC,its a bit slow at times but a good watch all the same.
  • Options
    There's a film on sky just now,called in bruge its a few years old,some really funny bits in it.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    *BUMP*

How is the viewing going @markycash?

I am presently using up a free month's trial on Amazon Prime.

Finished the 2 series of Sneaky Pete (great watch) and have just started on Goliath (looks promising).

Any other recommendations from anyone?
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,265
    Think I,ve mentioned it before on one of these threads but its still the best film I,ve seen in the last couple of years - "The Big Short"

Its an Oscar nominated film and true story about the housing crash in 2008 and how a few wall street bankers spotted it before anyone else and gambled on it to make money. Stars Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Bradd Pitt - Enjoy
  • Options
    5501355013 Member Posts: 336
    'Step Brothers' from 2008 with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly is worth a watch for anyone who has not seen it and does not mind films a tad crude & silly. First time since 'Kingpin' way back that i have watched a film on TV and then had to buy the DVD so i could watch it again.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,832
    I miss The West Wing.
    Fantastic cast and writing, especially the first three seasons.
    Some of the one liners are so good I use them in real life.
    Plenty of thought provoking issues covered.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,336
    Just finished watching the series 'Barry' on Sky Atlantic and was quite impressed with it despite the title initially putting me off watching.