You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

thoughts on Ch/AI the turn as 1010

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited December 2021 in Strategy
The only hands I would assume this player is 3betting me with here are premium pairs and AK.
My position against him on the flop doesn't really change, I'm still ahead of his AK and behind to any premium pair, the only thing I'd rule out here is QQ which I'm thinking would ch the flop.

When the turn card gives a 3rd heart my current strength of the hand doesn't change at all but the number of outs to go ahead has increased. If I was sitting IP I'd have opted to call see what comes on the river and decide from their whether or not to call but sitting OOP I opted to Ch/AI thinking ahead to the next street if river comes blank and he goes AI my calling odds would be 3/1 therefore I'd probably call knowing that I'm thinking if any heart was to come I could lose value from an AA or KK without a heart since they'll ch and by getting my chips in on the turn I can get maximum value from any AKo which calls and might see an AA or KK without a heart to fold.

Overall what I'm thinking is if I'm gonna call any river card which comes blank it might be best to get it all in now to gain full value from an AA or KK without a heart if my heart does hit and any AKo which might call the turn and miss the river
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
macca982Small blind150.00150.0014765.00
Zip_FlashBig blind300.00450.005060.00
Your hole cards
craigcu12Raise600.001050.0020805.00
DuesenbergRaise1800.002850.0012020.00
dazzercfcFold
macca982Fold
Zip_FlashFold
craigcu12Call1200.004050.0019605.00
Flop
  • Q
craigcu12Check
DuesenbergBet1800.005850.0010220.00
craigcu12Call1800.007650.0017805.00
Turn
craigcu12Check
DuesenbergBet3825.0011475.006395.00
craigcu12All-in17805.0029280.000.00
DuesenbergFold
craigcu12Muck
craigcu12Win15300.0015300.00
craigcu12Return13980.000.0029280.00

Comments

• Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    I really like the way you've thought about his range and the hands he might take this line with. I think this is a reasonable line to take, although I think calling turn is also valid and is probably what I would have gone with.

I like your idea that you charge hands like AK with one heart the maximum to hit their draw. (rather than letting them check back river if they miss- a lot of people wouldn't bluff river here as it seems very hard to get folds because your price is so good)
    You also can put him in an awkward situation with some value bets without a heart. (although I imagine most of those are bet calling if they are playing turn as a bet) Depending on how villain percieves you and plays, he could possibly turn up with a hand like AQ/KQ w/o a heart and find a hero fold if he thinks your never jamming the turn with a worse hand. So it functions as kind of a merge play where you can bluff vs some of his better hands and a value jam vs some of his semi bluffs. (although I don't think better hands play turn as a bet/fold super frequently, it could happen).

There will definitely be times we get the money in virtually dead too. It would be interesting to hear what @Duesenberg had if he is willing to share.

Even if people come to different conclusions, your thought process is what matters the most and if you can explain why it makes sense as a play its probably going to be reasonable. I think your thought process here is better than hands you have posted in the past so well done.
  • Options
    LnarinOOLnarinOO Member Posts: 545
    im interested to know how you have made the assumption villain has this pretty tight only nutted 3bet..?
    If this is in fact true then this allows us to play pretty much perfectly and makes our life much easier. all we need to do now is ensure when have the correct implied odds to set-mine and if we don't, simply fold vs range. on average you flop sets 1 every 8 flops you see but many factors come into play when deciding whether you have the 'correct price' to set mine..
    flopping your gin card will often win the hand BUT crucially it wont win 100% of the time, sometimes you will lose, sometimes you wont get paid all the chips you called to win and a lot of the time you can over play or just play the hand incorrectly post flop, for example you see a flop which doesnt contain your gin card but you flop an over pair and deviate from your initial plans on set mining.

in general set mining vs the strong range you describe would be profitable as your more likely going to satck your opponent should you hit your set, however that should be your only plan in this hand. stick to your read and fold every flop you dont improve, TT vs JJ-AA +AK cannot continue unimproved.

im pretty sure that villain will have a wider 3bet range, id say 99+AQ for value is standard plus any 3b bluffs for balance. This would make our decision somewhat more difficult and you would have to build ranges on villain in game to see whether they over bluff of under bluff etc. getting TT in pre for 40bb seems criminal as no worse hands should call, folding is out the question but this is where importance of knowing ppls ranges and tenancies would be how you make the correct choice here imo

• Options
    I didn't know for certain that duesenburg was tight but I assumed he would have been tighter than normal because dazzercfc had 2300 chips left, I probably should include AQ and JJ in his range as well but KQ I'm thinking would have called preventing the risk of putting too many chips in against an Ax which the short stack would shove.

On benifit I might of had at the time of this semi bluff is alot of my recent statements involve me saying I struggle to bet when behind which might have increased the proability of pulling this semi bluff.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Hi Craig

Thanks for posting in my diary and for the nudge - I hadn't spotted this.

Firstly, I have to agree with LnarinOO in that the majority of good players will have a wider 3bet range here than you assumed I had (I'm not suggesting you should think of me as good by the way!). Whilst I will of course have all the value hands that you mentioned, I am a great believer in balancing ranges so I will sometimes be 3betting hands like A5s, A4s, 76s and 65s in this exact situation too. Also, the fact that dazzercfc has a very short stack and is still left to act has no impact on my 3betting range here. Whilst I'd be expecting him to be open shoving pretty wide, facing an utg open and an mp 3bet before him will mean he is forced to have a much tighter range to continue (even off of a 7-8bb stack).

My play in this hand is very much influenced by my view on you as a player. I consider you to be rather tight (perhaps a little too tight if I'm being honest) so I expect your utg opening range to be pretty strong. I expect you to be 4betting me with AA, KK, AKs and most likley AKo and QQ too here. Your flatting range to my 3bet I'd imagine would be something like 88-JJ, AQo/s, AJs, KQs and possibly ATs, QJs and JTs. Although the Q on the flop is a pretty good card for your range, there is still much of your (perceived) flatting range which is going to be in a tough spot facing sustained pressure. I had AcKh which although I'd missed with, contained some significant blockers and still had some reasonable equity on favourable turns/rivers. Firstly, holding the AK made it far less likely you were trapping me with AA/KK. It also removes a number of AQ and KQs combos from your range. Holding Kh was significant too as it makes a it fair bit less likely you have a flush draw and also gives me a backdoor draw to the second nut flush. I double barrel here for all of those reasons (as well as the fact that AQ, QQ, KK, and AA are still very much part of my perceived range) with intention of getting you off all your hands like TT (especially as I think you're on the tight side and won't be looking me up lightly). When you raise the turn I'm putting you on AQ at worst so even with my flush draw and over cards I'm forced to fold given those odds, ICM considerations, and the fact that I may be drawing dead.

Am pretty surprised to see you had TT here so well played sir!
  • Options
    adsthepro7adsthepro7 Member Posts: 264
    Love hearing the thought process from both players here, not something you get very often with these hands.

Some really good insightful stuff and wp by both 👍
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I can be rather tight that's true alot of that comes from my poker background. I've spent along time sharing tables with limpers, trappers and fish, working out their hand range takes a long time and when the table is filled with them it's a nightmare.

Being able to put you on a hand range, knowing you will value bet a wide range of hands and knowing you will think very well about my own hand range is what allowed me to play this 1010.

A regular nl10p cash player was surprised to see what I was holding in my hand on one occasion yesterday, the reason I played that hand was again because the player himself has aggression in him, think of his strength, what my overall range is and respect my bets.

Playing players like yourself is what helps me to make improvements on a looser and more balanced game, I've still got some learning to do with this but my cash game over the last few days is showing signs of improvement already.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    I’d be interested to flip this and put ourselves in Duesenburgs shoes if he has a different holding and another 5k chips.
    What’s our play to Craig’s shove if we have AQ (no heart) and AQ (A hearts)?
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Jac35 said:

I’d be interested to flip this and put ourselves in Duesenburgs shoes if he has a different holding and another 5k chips.

Well, given that I now know that Craig is actually a range merging high level thinking lag and not the straightforward nitreg I'd first suspected, I'm calling in both cases :).
  • Options

Jac35 said:

Well, given that I now know that Craig is actually a range merging high level thinking lag and not the straightforward nitreg I'd first suspected, I'm calling in both cases :).
    Time for you to change game style, making you fold will be hard and you'll have a very wide hand range, you were a reg now you'll be a rec calling station, Oh no what will I do they have a great time against my LAG :o