You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Opinions on a PLO8 HU SNG Hand please

step7step7 Member Posts: 298
edited January 2018 in The Poker Clinic
I'd appreciate points of view on this hand and my analysis early in a £10 PLO8 Heads Up SNG vs a massively winning reg who tends to play very aggressively both pre and post flop and beats me 8 out of 10 matches :/

PREFLOP
My perception of villain is aggressive and happily opens (guessing 60%PFR. Playing 80% of hands from the button), so attack his limp with a playable hi-lo hand which I'd be more prone to check back vs a more passive opponent I have more chance of outplaying post flop. (Surprised to see a playable hand of J[945] at showdown not open raised by villain). 50/50 equity going into the flop but I’m aware I could get in trouble with my low and view it more as insurance.

FLOP
Villain flops low with double gutshot to 10 and 6. With 40/60 equity I’m not in great shape as I cbet thinking my low, single gutshot to a 5 and two overs is most likely ahead and I’m liking my QT6 as straight blockers. . Villain flats, maybe cautiously with no high/moderate low and better lows possible in my hand as the PFR (53 52 5A 43 4A 3A).

I’m pretty confident villain would have bet turn and river if I had checked (they like to max. the fold equity!) and I would have had a hard time calling the river for ½ the pot after calling the turn and not improving.

TURN
I decide not to bloat the pot any further with just the low out of position, but pot control lines are always difficult vs this villain as they love to bet and not happy lows with 2 are live again. All though the board appears to have got worse for me, equities haven't changed much from 40/60.

RIVER
Villain checking behind on the turn emboldens me that my low is good and I see the K as a great bluffing card to get a flopped pair to fold, maybe even pocket 99+, so I lead out for POT hoping for a fold from villain instead of chopping.

Not sure how I feel about villain calling to half the pot with near a third of his stack in the middle holding a so-so 875 low only – I just happen to have one of the few lows (only 64 6A) he beats.

Maybe betting pot made the bluff/chop avoidance too transparent and half to two-thirds would have looked more like a value bet?

Phewed to hold for the high half of the pot in a criss-cross showdown - I fear villain's pot bashing style may have me tilted?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,521

^^^^

That's utterly fascinating.

I'm not familiar with ranges Heads Up, so it's all a bit above me, but his extremely optimistic call to get half back - at best - is not something I readily understand. Not sure I could or would ever call there.

Probably just as well I don't play HU. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Tikay.

HU ranges are wide!! Two-way hi-lo hands make up a massive part, even getting called to 3 bets (probably incorrectly).

I'm still getting a handle on limping ranges for most oppos, but think me popping pre here was a mistake. I'm only getting folds from junk I'm ahead of (maybe not terrible, even junk can hit big in this game!) and called by hands I'm 50/50 with or behind, worse being that I don't know where I stand post flop, a horrible place to be OOP vs a good player - which is exactly what happened here.

I think the river call stinks. Shocked that a massively winning player who I perceive as decent is making this play. Maybe the PLO8 HU SNG pool is so bad it doesn't take stellar play to beat it - we'll have to wait and see. My results not show that at the moment though, I'm getting crushed :/

I will definitely be looking to exploit what looks like a giant leak in this spot vs this villain in the future for sure.

If you fancy playing micro stakes HU SNG I'll see you at the tables, you can get a taste of how much fun this variant can be and how whacky ranges are :)
  • Options
    seanallenseanallen Member Posts: 114
    Did he not have 3rd nut low on river? (7432A/7532A/75432) idk? if so depending on how often you bet better lows on the turn his river call could easily be at least neutral EV.

He'll be using your frequencies to figure out his relative hand strength and making profitable percentage plays most likely. It won't be a giant leak you can exploit.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    Villian in this case, is balancing his calling range, if he can only make this play with a nut low then you would have a leak to exploit.
    As it stands you don't.
  • Options
    Yes Sean, I've read his low wrong thanks. Take the points about balanced calling range here, my gut tells me villain is calling any decent low without regard to balance, my brain tells me a double digit ROI player won't be doing this. Only one way to find out :)