You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Seeking Clarification

MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
I suppose Tikay will be the person best placed to answer this but more people besides may also know, so:

-what is the deal with the 10 seat freeroll's at 18:30 to the nightly main event? I noticed in the past that they would occasionally appear in place of the Sunday Major freeroll (nightly, at the same time) but it almost seemed to be random and I couldn't seem to find a pattern to it (I may be wrong, maybe it was on specific nights but I failed to notice) however, last week they seemed to have replaced the Sunday Major freeroll's every night (from what I could tell) but this week it seemed to be back to the Sunday Major freeroll again... until tonight. The thing is, when I checked the lobby earlier today the 18:30 freeroll was listed as the Sunday Major version, not the 10 seat to the main version. As it stands in the lobby currently, the rest of the weeks 18:30 freerolls are listed as the Sunday Major version... is this accurate? Is there a definitive schedule on these or will it chop and change? The reason I ask is that these 10 seat freerolls to the main are fantastic and are well worth acquiring the 20 points required during the day previous to gain entry to them... it would just be nice to know in advance when they are actually on.
Please advise, if you are able.

Best Answer

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    Answer ✓

Morning @MynaFrett

There is no "pattern" as such, Sky__James, who decides what that Freeroll will offer, changes the prizes as he sees fit, & I would guess he makes his decision strategically.

Whether it is 10 seats to a £33 Main, or 3 seats to the Sunday Major, the cost to Sky Poker is nigh on identical.

As a general rule, if he thinks the weekday £33 Mains are struggling with numbers, he'll do 10 seats for those. If he thinks the Sunday Major needs a bit of help, he'll do that instead. Those are not specific answers, just generalisms.

Again, just guessing, but maybe this week the Mains are doing OK, & he is worried about the Sunday Major Guarantee, as many of the Sunday Major regulars will be up at SPT Manchester. That's the sort of logic.

With the scheduled Main, Mini & other "pay to enter" Events, there is a published schedule on the Site, & a schedule of "pushes", Tweets & Social Media puffs. So changing those is a big deal, & it has to be communicated everywhere, including on this Forum.

However, the 18.30 Freeroll is exactly that - a Freeroll - & it's not widely promoted on the site, so Sky Poker are able to change it at short notice & without informing everyone. If James happens to mention a change to me via our internal comms channel - "Slack" - I generally make it known on the Forum, but he does not always do so, & I don't think he should feel obliged to, it's a dynamic equation, & always has been.

The best advice I can give if you prefer certain types of 1830 Freeroll is to check the Lobby each day. He does sometimes change it "on the day", yes, but as Registration does not open until late afternoon (16.30/1700?) nobody is being misled.

I hope that answers your question.

Answers

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,175
    I've noticed they do chop and change, but tend to be for the nightly Main at the start of the week (Mon, Tues, Wed), and then to Sunday Major rest of the week, but not always and it is random, and often changes on the day itself. If you can afford to, it's always worth getting the 20 points just to get entry 'coz it's a great Promo.
  • Options
    Thanks @MISTY4ME That's kind of what I was thinking but would be great if someone like @Tikay10 could confirm that for us...
  • Options
    Thanks for your thorough answer Tikay. That all makes sense. I appreciate that the determining factors are fluid.

The 10 seats to the main satellite really is such a draw that I would go out of my way to acquire the 20 points for the opportunity to play it but I don't bother going out of my way to get the 20 points to play the Sunday Major version... I wonder if anyone else feels the same... maybe just me being self centred in the extreme once again and nobody else really cares or notices :/

Thanks again anyway Tikay.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    MynaFrett said:

Thanks for your thorough answer Tikay. That all makes sense. I appreciate that the determining factors are fluid.

The 10 seats to the main satellite really is such a draw that I would go out of my way to acquire the 20 points for the opportunity to play it but I don't bother going out of my way to get the 20 points to play the Sunday Major version... I wonder if anyone else feels the same... maybe just me being self centred in the extreme once again and nobody else really cares or notices :/

Thanks again anyway Tikay.

Everyone is different, that's the problem, if problem it be.

It's impossible to please everyone.

Good luck tonight.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,175
    edited February 2018
    I know there are less seats on offer to the Sunday major, so they are harder to win, but the prize money on offer (usually £160-ish minimum up to £4K+ if you cash) is better. Yes you can win the Head prizes in the Main's, so more people make a bit of cash, but the Sunday major is such a great tourney that it is well worth trying for imo.
  • Options
    Thanks again Tikay. Absolutely right Misty... I should have also stated, though, that part of my preference for the 10 seat main version is that I usually play most week nights but don't always play on Sundays... me, me, me :D
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited February 2018
    I've always thought that Sky should run big-prize, monster freerolls (they could call these things "Monster Freerolls!" - note: include screamer to generate excitement) periodically, too, for earning, say, around 500-750 points daily. If the prizes were decent I'd certainly up my game, points-wise.

This may be a deeply unpopular idea, however. And I'm not sure who it would attract. Plus the fields would probably be pretty tough. In fact, the more I think about "Monster Freerolls!" the more flaws I see.

Still going to post this comment, though.
  • Options
    Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 442
    SR23 said:

I've always thought that Sky should run big-prize, monster freerolls (they could call these things "Monster Freerolls!" - note: include screamer to generate excitement) periodically, too, for earning, say, around 500-750 points daily. If the prizes were decent I'd certainly up my game, points-wise.

This may be a deeply unpopular idea, however. And I'm not sure who it would attract. Plus the fields would probably be pretty tough. In fact, the more I think about "Monster Freerolls!" the more flaws I see.

Still going to post this comment, though.

Sounds a bit like the priority freerolls that were either £1k or £2k prize pools. Only a third of priority played them though so we switched to the monthly prize draw which includes everyone.