You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Pretty Poor Half Hour Session.

EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,288
So I sat down to play a little poker, here's the first warning that it wasn't going to go well, then ALL the 'all in pre' hands and a sting in the tail too......

4.53 (MTT) QhQd in BB, one limper and SB makes up so I pot it and get called by the original caller, flop comes 4,J,8 with 2 hearts, I half pot bet and opp reraises all in, I call, he turns over 9h 3h. Turn is the 6h so that's me down to a short stack.

4.53 (same MTT) AsQs AIP, called by J 10, flop comes 7,8,9 so that me out of first MTT.
4.54 (DYM) AJ called by A6 AIP, board comes 96Q..5..K, so out of the first DYM
5.02 (MTT) AcQc AIP called by J 10 (again), board comes KK5..J..3 so out of second MTT
5.03 (DYM) 33 AIP called by Tommy's 99 so I have no chance he holds and I'm out of second DYM (Poor play by me btw was still 10+BB deep)
5.05 (DYM) KK AIP called by K 10 (I must stand a chance here surely?) board comes AJA..Q..7, so I lose to the straight.
5.07 (DYM) Kd3d (less than 4 BBs) AIP called by A9, board 10,8,2,8,Q so out of third DYM
5.07 (DYM) 2dJd (in BB for 150, with only 250 behind) call an AIP by KQ, flop comes A,2,10,A,4 so I win an AIP!! Actually went on to cash this one too!

5.21 (MTT) AQ AIP called by 88, flop comes 3,4,8, so out of the 3rd MTT

decided to play a little cash.....

5.23 (cash) 99 AIP on spin up table called by A7.......first card out is the A so that's a buy in gone.

In half an hour, out of 9 AIPs, of which I was ahead or dominating in 5, one was a race, and I was behind in 3, I won only one.

So I decided to call it quits and closed down went in half an hour later to check how badly I had run to find another DYM, which hadn't loaded up when I had decided to quit, had played through with me sat out, oops. My last few hands included:-

5.19 KK (sat out)
5.22 AK (sat out)
5.24 AK (sat out)
5.24 AK (sat out)
I then lose my last 100 chips with 2,10.

How's that for a kick in the teeth!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Be lucky!

Comments

• Options
    avaitlargeavaitlarge Member Posts: 2
    Just leave the poker to the next day go cry crack a beer then back next day
  • Options
    PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    It's all you can do mate - Leave, chill-out, come back later. Bad sessions are irritating but at least it was just half an hour. Yesterday I had two afternoon sessions that ran bad before coming back in the evening and managing to get back half of what I had lost.
  • Options
    @avaitlarge & @PkDevil - yup I agree with your suggestions. I now cut sessions short when I am running badly and as a consequence have hardly played any poker in the last few weeks! Variance is due to turn in my favour soon. This time next year I'll be a millionaire!
  • Options
    Enut said:

@avaitlarge & @PkDevil - yup I agree with your suggestions. I now cut sessions short when I am running badly and as a consequence have hardly played any poker in the last few weeks! Variance is due to turn in my favour soon. This time next year I'll be a millionaire!

Do you find that switching between lots of game types works for you profit-wise? Is there a type of game that makes you the most profit? I used to play Cash when I was starting but found DYMs less costly at that time. I now focus on DYMs and play the free-rolls.
  • Options
    @PkDevil that's a very good question. My most profitable games are almost certainly MTTs but due to other factors (partner who hates me playing late and me working long hours) I rarely play the later ones (main events etc).

I play recreationally only and play PLO8 a fair bit (DYMs and the occassional MTT), because they tend to be good fun and most of the players are a good laugh.

I will quite happily mix cash, MTTs, DYMs, PLO8 and Holdem all at the same time, normally 4 tables. I'm pretty sure that this is an horrendous mix 'profit' wise but, as I said I only play recreationally, so I accept that.
  • Options
    Enut said:

@PkDevil that's a very good question. My most profitable games are almost certainly MTTs but due to other factors (partner who hates me playing late and me working long hours) I rarely play the later ones (main events etc).

I play recreationally only and play PLO8 a fair bit (DYMs and the occassional MTT), because they tend to be good fun and most of the players are a good laugh.

I will quite happily mix cash, MTTs, DYMs, PLO8 and Holdem all at the same time, normally 4 tables. I'm pretty sure that this is an horrendous mix 'profit' wise but, as I said I only play recreationally, so I accept that.

That's fair enough. I don't think having a mix is a bad thing as it helps in building up experience and confidence. I have to say MTTs are not my strong-point, although perhaps I should do better in them considering my relative DYM experience.

Nothing wrong with playing recreationally, after all playing it as a bit of fun can help keep the Poker goblin of tilt away that more serious players (and gamblers) are prone to suffer from when lacking discipline.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,274
    I play on three sites. Here, Stars and Party and use each site differently. On Sky I play deepstacks small buy in B H and micro DYM. Stars is only ever deepstacks and micro "Big Tourneys" with Party being Double or nothing, micro Satellites and micro deepstacks. Ive stopped playing cash completely because I'm no good at it, but I do and heres where you all laugh at me, find that if I'm having a bad run and switching sites / games hasn't worked I can load up Stars play money (got about £5m) and just mess around trying different thing out and this often helps.

Yours in poker

Mark