You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

** JACKPOT SYNDICATE ** HORSE WE COULD HAVE OWNED "JUMBO DAVIS" RUNS 7.55 TOWCESTER **

StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,125
Hi guys.

As some of you are aware, I was trying to get some people together to buy a horse to be trained with Harry Whittington.

When I met with Harry at Warwick for Saint Calvados's run in the Kingmaker, I told him that a few people from the Jackpot Syndicate may be interested in a small share.

Anyway a week later he called me, very excited, about a prospect he had found in Ireland that had previously just finished 2nd in a point to point race.

It was a 5 year old mare. He was very confident in the pedigree and "look" of the horse.

I thought about it, but decided it was too soon, and that whilst I would have been happy to buy a fair share of it, I was hoping to get some others involved to reduce individual costs as it would be a fun thing to do as a group.

Anyhow, I couldn't do that in time, so said to Harry that the time wasn't right just yet, which he completely understood.

Also I had my mind set on a colt/gelding.

Harry said to me that he was "sure" he could win with it and thought it was a very good buy (25,000 Euros I think) With the family connection (Gemma etc), I trust completely that he would have done his best for me/us.

Anyhow, it looks like he got it anyway for J H Henderson.

I thought it would be fun to follow this horse and it has it's first run "under rules" today at Sedgefield in the "Bumper" at 8.10pm.

I'm probably going to have a "decent" punt (Each Way) on it. (6/1 as I write this)

So it's: JUMBO DAVIS in the 8.10 Sedgefield.

If JUMBO DAVIS does well and my bets on her come off, I may well get a horse with him at a later date and if any of you are interested in having a small share, let me know.

In the meantime we can "enjoy" watching the progress of this one without any cost to us (Except any betting losses)

I've decided if it does win, I am going to put aside any winnings towards a horse purchase, maybe others would like to do the same.

If people want an idea of costs of keeping a horse in training. I think you need to look at £2K per month as an upper cost of training fees, vet, and other associated costs. (Harry's fees as he is a small trainer are very favourable compared to the bigger outfits)

So in the example above. Lets say in pounds the horse costs £20K. You'd need to set aside £200 initial cost and £20 per month for every 1% share that you may want. Which is probably achievable for most people.

Although clearly we'd need some to take bigger shares if we want to own a horse "fully" as a group.

Food for thought?

Anyway

GL JUMBO!

Comments

• MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    edited April 2018
    Great idea G.

Following this horse and it's career as a 'Virtual Owner', just to give people an idea of what fun it can be....(fingers crossed) and good luck to her and hopefully she will stay injury free. It will also show how expensive it can be too, though there is now a great programme for mares and if they win races, or finish placed in Graded races and earn 'Black Type', then there value as a broodmare (especially a well-related one) increases significantly, or could be the start of the 'STAY OR GO' Dynasty ;)

I see she has come in to 4/1 already (with the year round firm), so must be well fancied, and I remember the name of her mother's half-sister Triumph Davis, a winning staying hurdler, so she is well related, and Harry has a very good record at Sedgefield, and had a very nice horse (THE GREY ENFORCER) run very well in a Bumper yesterday so everything looks positive for a good run.

GOOD LUCK and I'm sure we will all follow this horse with great interest
  • wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,504
    Bet Confirmation - CE8288757610I - Internet
    Time of bet: 23/04/2018 13:07:23
    No.
    Selections
    Event
    Event Date
    E/W Terms
    Odds
    Result
    Jumbo Davis
    8.10 Sedgefield (Race 7)
    (Win and Each Way)
    Live Stream
    23/04/2018
    3 Places
    1/5 Odds
    10/3
    To Run

Unit Stake: 5.00 E/W Single Total Stake: 10.00
  • vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,281
    edited April 2018
    Great idea , will be fun following her

Gosh you lot must have gone hard into her 9-4 now, hate missing the value.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Non runner. Money saved B)
  • StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,125
    Guess like most Irish Pointer's, she needs cut in the ground.
    edited April 2018
    Shame I didn't know that it wasn't going to run. I could have cashed out my bets at 6/1 for a nice profit.

Although would probably get done for "insider trading" lol.

Who does that remind you of? :=)
    edited April 2018
    OK, so the ground wasn't soft enough at Sedgefield, suggesting a stern test will suit.

We are scheduled to go at Towcester today. 7.55pm.

It looks a hot affair tbh, but JUMBO DAVIS is currently available at 8/1.

I managed to get on a 9/1 with a "price boost."

There is some scheduled rain overnight and for the rest of the day, which I imagine should suit, as will the tough uphill track one would think.

We'll see.

GO JUMBO!
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,806

Graham, @StayOrGo

This was posted on Twitter last night;

Keep an eye on Jumbo Davis in the 7.55 Towcester tomorrow. I tipped her at Sedgefield earlier in the week, mainly due to Whittington's amazing record there, and she was backed from 6-1 to 2-1 before withdrawn. That could well get missed when the early prices go up later.

The author, Graham Wheldon, aka "Chompy", Tweets under the alias @Wheldon RFO, the RFO standing for Racing & Football Outlook.

Here's his Twitter feed;

https://twitter.com/GWheldonRFO

For what it's worth, I know Graham exceedingly well, he's a close friend & has been for 15 years or more. He's the best pro punter I know, & its not even close. More of a "flat race" man than NH though.

He's written a few books on Horse Racing betting, too.

He has just rejoined Racing & Football Outlook so you can read his stuff in that.

Think he was "Spotlight" on one of the racing publications for many years, too.
  • vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,281
    Got on at 7-1 he had gone down to 5-1 and now out to 7-1
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    On at 7/1 score e/w 1/5 odds
    edited April 2018
    Bit of a disappointing 5th, looked to travel OK, but didn't find much.

Judging by the money for it, I'm sure they hoped for better, but still early days.