You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Political Correctness

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,378
Have we gone too far with this?
I thought the Sajid Javid cartoon was quite funny, yet a number of politicians have been accused of being racist because they retweeted it.
Are all the old Irish jokes now racist? What about Welsh people interfering with sheep jokes (there is no real proof that any of this ever happened)? Are all religious jokes now unacceptable?
What can you have a laugh about now, without feeling guilty?

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2018
    HAYSIE said:

I thought the Sajid Javid cartoon was quite funny, yet a number of politicians have been accused of being racist because they retweeted it.

Are all the old Irish jokes now racist?

What about Welsh people interfering with sheep jokes (there is no real proof that any of this ever happened)?

Are all religious jokes now unacceptable?

1) It depends on context
    2) Even if you don't consider it offensive, it's stupid in the current climate regardless
    3) It depends on context
    4) There's no real proof that it hasn't ever happened ;) Also it depends on context
    5) It depends on context
    6) It depends on context
  • Options
    EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

Are all the old Irish jokes now racist?

What about Welsh people interfering with sheep jokes (there is no real proof that any of this ever happened)?

Are all religious jokes now unacceptable?

1) It depends on context
    2) Even if you don't consider it offensive, it's stupid in the current climate regardless
    3) It depends on context
    4) There's no real proof that it hasn't ever happened ;) Also it depends on context
    5) It depends on context
    6) It depends on context
    So you think its pretty much the context then?
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
  • Options
    You cant seem to say very much these days without offending somebody.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,460
    What angers me is some pompous, middle class, usually white person getting all morally outraged on behalf of someone else. which to me is actually a form of condescending racism. its like saying "Oh you poor darling how awful you must feel let me share your angst".

One of my Church going colleagues puts it much better when he says. "I'm a 6 foot 3 16 stone black man and I'm perfectly capable of getting upset on my own behalf and don't feel happy when someone does it for me".

Does he know jokes that are racist about white people ? Yes
    Has he told me any ? Yes
    Are they funny ? Oh absolutely Yes
    Am I offended ? No because guess what, they're not a personal attack on me and most are simply a funny observation on the stereotypical white male from a black perspective.

Yours in harmony

Mark
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,323
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,460
    lucy4 said:

Wow. Theres poverty, starvation, homelessness, child exploitation, mental health issues, addiction, bigotry, hatred, intolerance and war and THIS is what upsets her?.

It's people like her who hijack political correctness for their own self serving, agenda promoting needs that turn the whole issue of P.C. into a farce.

Get a Life.

Mark
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286

^^^^

Good post.

It's getting beyond ridic now
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,744
    Yes, ‘Political correctness’ has gone too far.
    I feel that humour should be the thing that brings people together, not tear them apart.
    The key to this, is to be comfortable in your ‘own skin’, I have been made fun of in the past for being Tall, Northern, fat,thin,big feet, the way I walk, the words I use out of context..and so on., and they are just from close family 😊
    My work colleague also comes out with some crackers about my foibles, do I get offended? Of course not, just join in the fun and make light of life.
    The Edge has, on this occasion 😉 nailed it, there’s far worse things going on in the world than someone mocking my Northern roots.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2018
    lucy4 said:

"A professor of women's and gender studies"

Of course she's offended - Her whole subject matter is pretty much teaching people how to be offended and is a complete waste of everyone's time and money. Fortunately I think it's just a US thing.

Funnily enough I was watching some stuff about feminism on YouTube the other day, and came across a video by a female gender studies student at a place where these classes were to be taken at some point as part of graduation and for extra credit - She basically said that the MO in those lectures was to shut down any debate that deviated from the "group think" notion of what would probably be considered overly PC views by the vast majority of people.

She provided an example where she argued in favour of binary gender system for situations like going to a hospital and ticking a biological sex for ease of treating injury or illness to avoid any unnecessary delay in treatment, confusion/ambiguity etc, and got totally shot down for it by everyone else in the room lol.

Whole vid, "I took a gender studies course so you don't have to" (~7 minutes) is linked below for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlGSG0q-Fh4
  • Options
    ^ ugh
    The scary thing is, these ideologies being taught in schools, and to youngsters in THIS country...
    For every one well rounded individual like the girl in the video, there’s prob 10 that get brainwashed into believing the tosh that’s ‘taught’.

Bring back the 3 ‘R’s, is my thought.
  • Options
    A lot of the stuff that is not allowed today, used to be called banter.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286

A group of the boys had created "a tableau of a slave gang, with the white boys dressed as black slaves and the black boys as white slave owners".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-44107141
  • Options
    Imagine putting "Til Death Us Do Part" back on the telly today.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    HAYSIE said:

Imagine putting "Til Death Us Do Part" back on the telly today.

Or "Love Thy Neighbour"
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,368
    "Gender studies" is necessary because of the outdated values that persist in our society. A good example is in the article above. It is all too easy to focus on a "lunatic fringe" and ignore the real issues.

An older guy is in a lift in a foreign country. He makes a very English 1970s joke alluding purely to an outdated English comedy programme. He (unintentionally) offends someone. All she is hearing is some old guy talking to her about women's underwear. He has refused to apologise, and instead someone has seen fit to put it on social media, thereby increasing discomfort all round.

Is it really so difficult to apologise for upsetting someone?
  • Options
    One mans ‘outdated’ is another mans source of ‘fun’
    It’s getting all too common for people to get offended over the slightest thing.
    Think of a subject, there’s someone out there who will be “offended” by the view you or I have, freedom of speech is being eroded bit by bit.
    It’s no fun getting old, and the things we found funny back when I were a lad haven’t suddenly become ‘ not funny’ ( ofc content dependent)
    If things carry on as they are, people will be too scared to converse in public, even online the powers that be are cracking down.

Who makes judgement on offence? Is it based on how many find something offensive?
    I would hazard a guess that the old adage “ Those who shout loudest get heard” ( may be wrong but you get my drift)
    If I get offended by the word “ rabbit” why should I not get taken seriously?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,665
    What happens in a Lift.......... should stay in a Lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtZgs8k8dU
  • Options
    Apparently the latest view on Snow White, is that she didn't consent to the kiss.