You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

tdym shove or fold decision

JordyAAJordyAA Member Posts: 12
edited December 2021 in Strategy
On the bubble in a turbo dym

Blinds are 150/300

UTG: 375
Button: 860
SB: 1165
BB: 3150

utg folds and im on the button with AJs, should I be shoving or folding here?

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,152
    For me its probably a fold and for what its worth Ill explain my thinking. Firstly you risk running into a small blind monster and even if he passes the bb is getting very good odds to call 560 more to win 1310 and end the comp especially as he has more than half the chips in play.

Also the small stacks gonna be all in with the blinds soon and really should have shoved this hand with any two.

I assume there will be other players who will take a completely opposite tack and talk about G.T.O and I.C.M etc and that's fine too.

If you think the hand is too strong to lay down then shoving is the only option as you could well get the bigger stacks to fold as theres no great need for them to get busy with marginal holdings. If on the other hand you feel they may call then folding's sweet too. In DYM you don't have to win to win.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    I’m shoving. If SB wins his next race we are in trouble and wishin we shoved with the AJ now lol.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    i have been a slightly losing player at TDYMs for a while, and so have been working on my game. I have been struggling to appreciate the differences between DYMs and other formats.

In almost every other format (MTTs/STTs etc, but only some Qualifiers) this is a shove. However, in a DYM, with these stack sizes, this is DEFINITELY a fold.

Short stack is going to be (effectively) all-in next hand. You and the 1165 can choose to play or pass there, and the big stack will put him all-in. You must be about 70-75% to cash at this point if you pass here.

Now let's look at your shove. SB knows that shortie will be all-in next hand, so he can afford to call with any pair and the better high hands. The BB can call with any 2, and is likely to call with his top 50% of hands. You only have A high-you are going to be about a 50% chance of being knocked out.

It's a fold. Every time.
  • Options
    JordyAAJordyAA Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2018
    Thanks everyone for the advice

I ended up shoving hoping for two folds, which would give me more of a chance if the small stack wins the next hand

Unfortunately the BB called with 10 5 and took it down hitting the 5 on the river lol

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

For me its probably a fold and for what its worth Ill explain my thinking. Firstly you risk running into a small blind monster and even if he passes the bb is getting very good odds to call 560 more to win 1310 and end the comp especially as he has more than half the chips in play.

Also the small stacks gonna be all in with the blinds soon and really should have shoved this hand with any two.

I assume there will be other players who will take a completely opposite tack and talk about G.T.O and I.C.M etc and that's fine too.

If you think the hand is too strong to lay down then shoving is the only option as you could well get the bigger stacks to fold as theres no great need for them to get busy with marginal holdings. If on the other hand you feel they may call then folding's sweet too. In DYM you don't have to win to win.

Yours in poker

Mark

Why does he risk running into a ''small blind monster''? What makes you think the sb might have AA/KK?

Think it would be a shove if the BB had a little less (or if the short stack had a little more) but it looks like you could (and did) get looked up by any 2 which isn't great for us.

As it is, think I'd prefer to take my chances that the shortie will get KO'ed in the next hand,

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2018
    Fold, it's a bit of tricky spot for some players given the strength of your hand however its survival over accumulation here. With the BB having chips and almost guaranteed to cash he/she could make a loose call just for the **** of it and KO you. As Phil mentioned you must be 75% or so to cash so why risk it for a few extra chips.

Next hand if you have a half decent hand you can limp and hope the rest limp along to get the BB out of there lessening their odds of taking it, can be a bit risky of course but find it works well most of the time as he is only going to win 1/4 of the time, at best, given he has any two vs limpers with likely better hands which could dominate. This is assuming no-one does anything silly.

It does feel weak to fold a hand like AJ but its absolutely necessary here. This is from someone who can be accused of being too aggro.
  • Options

Yours in poker

Mark

Why does he risk running into a ''small blind monster''? What makes you think the sb might have AA/KK?

Think it would be a shove if the BB had a little less (or if the short stack had a little more) but it looks like you could (and did) get looked up by any 2 which isn't great for us.

As it is, think I'd prefer to take my chances that the shortie will get KO'ed in the next hand,

Durr SB cud have AA AK AQ KK > 55 all of which are prob calling. Plus I also said that BB was getting great odds to call with any 2 which as it happens he did.

Why do you need to hijack every post I make just to criticise and mock. The points I made are valid but please feel free to continue making yourself look like a total spanner.

Yours in amusement
  • Options

Yours in poker

Mark

Durr SB cud have AA AK AQ KK > 55 all of which are prob calling. Plus I also said that BB was getting great odds to call with any 2 which as it happens he did.

Why do you need to hijack every post I make just to criticise and mock. The points I made are valid but please feel free to continue making yourself look like a total spanner.

Yours in amusement
    It was a weird first thing to say. In theory that's applicable to any hand of poker ever played when its folded to the button and they might be shoving. Very strange thing to point out.

In this hand the sb, and their holding (unless its AA/KK of which hero blocks one), is essentially irrelevant. If they are playing 'correctly' they will be folding almost everything they are dealt.

Oh and if the sb is calling with hands like 55 through 99 then that is a huge mistake. Just so you know.

Yours in education.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Before I start I need to make it clear that whilst I do ok at regular dyms, I’m pretty rubbish at turbos

I’m probably going to be shoving here at least 50% of the time. Notes will largely dictate which way I go.

With the greatest respect to Phil who is a good player I certainly don’t think that it’s a definite fold always. I also don’t subscribe to the view that as we only have Ace high we’re only 50% to win.

The sb should pass pretty much 100% of his hands and bb doesn’t have any good reasons to call.

As I said, notes are crucial here. We all know the players who will always call from the bb here and the ones that will need a strong hand to call.

It’s one of those where if weird things happens, which they do, and the short stack gets a walk next hand or trebles up, we’re kicking ourselves when we’re having to go with 94 or suchlike when it comes round to our blinds
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2018
    Jac35 said:

Before I start I need to make it clear that whilst I do ok at regular dyms, I’m pretty rubbish at turbos

I’m probably going to be shoving here at least 50% of the time. Notes will largely dictate which way I go.

With the greatest respect to Phil who is a good player I certainly don’t think that it’s a definite fold always. I also don’t subscribe to the view that as we only have Ace high we’re only 50% to win.

The sb should pass pretty much 100% of his hands and bb doesn’t have any good reasons to call.

As I said, notes are crucial here. We all know the players who will always call from the bb here and the ones that will need a strong hand to call.

It’s one of those where if weird things happens, which they do, and the short stack gets a walk next hand or trebles up, we’re kicking ourselves when we’re having to go with 94 or suchlike when it comes round to our blinds

Good to hear the other side from a seasoned DYM player.

Regarding the player trebling or doubling yeah that would suck however I still can't see a shove. Was definitely in the shove camp a while ago for the reasons you give, however seen too many dumb calls on the bubble to justify it and feels like too much of a sweat when opponent is so short. Happy to take a chance on the short stack not doubling/trebling and making the money, big stack next hand in the SB won't fold and you plus other opponent could take a shot at the almost KO next hand leaving him crippled.

AJ is obviously very strong here and vs good thinking players a shove may not be bad, Sky isn't the right site to make such a risky move unless SB and BB are well known to you.

• Options

Yours in poker

Mark

Yours in amusement
    It was a weird first thing to say. In theory that's applicable to any hand of poker ever played when its folded to the button and they might be shoving. Very strange thing to point out.

In this hand the sb, and their holding (unless its AA/KK of which hero blocks one), is essentially irrelevant. If they are playing 'correctly' they will be folding almost everything they are dealt.

Oh and if the sb is calling with hands like 55 through 99 then that is a huge mistake. Just so you know.

Yours in education.
    My dear chap, I fear that you couldn't educate an amoeba with an army of professors to assist you. In a four handed turbo where we aren't the shortstack the sb holding is completely relevant. Also relevant are the odds we give to the bb ESPECIALLY as many players (non regs) do not play correctly and don't fold most of what they're dealt.

Your continued arrogance that only your opinion counts ( I gave mine but stated that others could have an opposite and justified view) really does mark you out as someone for whom debate and dialogue are anathema and can only lead me to deduce that your mind is like a soup dish. Capable of holding a small amount of anything whilst being susceptible to the inconvenience that the slightest jarring will cause the contents to spill out and become irrevocably lost.

Of course this is only an opinion, which is open to rebuke and rebuff from those who take a diametrically opposing summation in your defence. In the meantime keep on sucking on life's lemons, whilst the rest of us enjoy a refreshing lemonade.

Yours in Mirth
  • Options

Yours in poker

Mark

Yours in amusement

Yours in education.
    My dear chap, I fear that you couldn't educate an amoeba with an army of professors to assist you. In a four handed turbo where we aren't the shortstack the sb holding is completely relevant. Also relevant are the odds we give to the bb ESPECIALLY as many players (non regs) do not play correctly and don't fold most of what they're dealt.

Your continued arrogance that only your opinion counts ( I gave mine but stated that others could have an opposite and justified view) really does mark you out as someone for whom debate and dialogue are anathema and can only lead me to deduce that your mind is like a soup dish. Capable of holding a small amount of anything whilst being susceptible to the inconvenience that the slightest jarring will cause the contents to spill out and become irrevocably lost.

Of course this is only an opinion, which is open to rebuke and rebuff from those who take a diametrically opposing summation in your defence. In the meantime keep on sucking on life's lemons, whilst the rest of us enjoy a refreshing lemonade.

Yours in Mirth
    In this example, with these stack sizes, the sb is pretty much irrelevant. They should be folding almost everything to a shove, so we don't need to concern ourselves with their holding, even if for some strange reason we think they might 'wake up with a monster'.

And I repeat, if the sb is calling in this spot with hands as weak as 55 then they are making a huge mistake.

The only stacks that matter in this hand are ours, the bb and the shortie.

Glad you're putting that Thesaurus you got for Christmas to good use.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    I played turbo DYMs a lot when grinding for one of the past promo's I won but not my usual game.

Anyway, I think the crux of this boils down to the BB. We are short, but we have just enough chips to make it so that a good BB player should not be calling here with any 2. In fact, his range for calling if he's good should be tight - something like AJ+, KQs and 55/66+

Yeh, they might be getting the right price to call but that completely neglects ICM. They don't need to risk even 560 chips when the shorty is all in next hand with any 2. If they lose and then the shorty doubles up, they're now in a much worse position then had they just folded.
  • Options
    Mayhem357Mayhem357 Member Posts: 87
    I am with Jac and Ivanovic here, totally dependant upon BB i.e. how likely he/she is to call and how likely they are to put the short stack all in. If I think a fold is more than likely I shove, if I feel he/she calls wide but will fold the SB then it's a tough choice but I probably shove as I prefer to go out that way rather than blinding out. Now if BB is aggro then I am folding more often than not.,
  • Options
    JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    Yep this depends on the big blind's playing preference...

A solid winning DYM player shouldn't be calling you from the big blind with anything less than 66/77+ and AK/AK/AJ/KQ.

So if it was a solid reg i shove.

If BB is a fish then you could fold.

Notes and styles of the players involved are important here before making a final decision.
  • Options
    robtimrobtim Member Posts: 17
    Almost always a fold for me. I could name a few winning regs that would be calling in the BB pretty wide with those pot odds, and that stack size. I think its usually better to give the short stack a chance to blind out.
  • Options
    SuperAyr25SuperAyr25 Member Posts: 37
    Fold every time dont put yourself at risk let the short stack be all in first i understand you might not get a better hand but the point is to stay out of all ins with a guy with one blind.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Clear fold
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    gregkdy82 said:

Clear fold

Really?

I think there are decent arguments put forward above for both options
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    edited October 2019