You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

can we offer more tournament types please

I get that some people like these bountie hunter tournaments but it would be good to get tournaments of another format. i dont really like losing half the price pool to bounties.

why not add in some fixed limit hyper tournaments they worked on stars and I think they could work well here. a lot of casual players like to play a lot of hands and have quick action and dont like been put all in or facing big raises. so would like these games. and people like me would like to play them at these games see everyone happy.

or just some standard turbo freeze out games.

I understand if I dont like Bounty hunter tournies dont play them and i get they may be popular I am just saying it would be good to have more tournaments on offer rather than 90% of games here been bounty hunter games.

Comments

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    I do agree that hyper tournies could be successful if structured correctly.

5k starting stack and 3 min levels - think it would be popular from £1 - £22 levels for sure.

I know personally I would play every one.

That being said there is new software coming soon and I am sure this will allow for a wider variety of games, so stay patient.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited August 2018
    Doubleme said:

I get that some people like these bountie hunter tournaments but it would be good to get tournaments of another format. i dont really like losing half the price pool to bounties.

why not add in some fixed limit hyper tournaments they worked on stars and I think they could work well here. a lot of casual players like to play a lot of hands and have quick action and dont like been put all in or facing big raises. so would like these games. and people like me would like to play them at these games see everyone happy.

or just some standard turbo freeze out games.

I understand if I dont like Bounty hunter tournies dont play them and i get they may be popular I am just saying it would be good to have more tournaments on offer rather than 90% of games here been bounty hunter games.

Fixed limit anything:

A little bit of me dies when I play 8-game and FLHE comes up in the rotation. Fixed limit Hold'em hasn't been popular this millennium, so it just wouldn't have any significant interest. Sky used to have FLHE Heads Up on here, but tbh more people probs registered it by accident than people actually wanting to play Fixed Limit HU. I don't know if the most recent iteration of the Sky software even has the capability for Sky staff to set up FLHE any more, even if they wanted to.

Even though it's not my cup of tea, there is a place for FLHE in the Poker world, but I doubt Sky has the needed interest from players with its traffic levels to get any games going. The game has become pretty niche, which is a shame because it can be a valuable learning tool for NLHE while also being enjoyable to some as a game in its own right.

There is also the fact that in 2018, AI can probably play FLHE better than a human, which is also something to worry about if a site is considering spreading FLHE.

---

No limit Freezeouts:

I'd personally be okay with NLHE Turbo/Hyper freezeouts being added to the schedule - However, the problem with freezeouts (or anything really) for Sky is always going to be justifying putting it in the schedule in place of a (Turbo) BH. If a tournament is performing well on the schedule, there's very little incentive to drop that tournament from the schedule and try anything else out in its place, especially if that tournament then performs worse than the BH which a Freezeout is likely to do.

This is pretty much what has happened any time Sky have tried to reintroduce Freezeouts into the schedule over the last few years - There's an initial surge of interest for a week or two from regs in the short term wanting to get the tournament off the ground, but they soon lose interest, the tournament starts overlaying, then it goes into a spiral of lower guarantees --> less players enter as a result --> lower guarantees until the tournament has to be removed from the schedule because the site are losing too much money.

---

I do get what you're saying that not all players enjoy BHs, and finding a balance that appeals to BH and non-BH players has been an issue ever since they became a significant part of the schedule maybe 6-7 years ago now. I just find it hard to see Sky doing much about it in the circumstances, especially given past failures to reintroduce non-BHs.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,576
    Well I know that a lot of soft weak players liked hyper turbo fixed limit games because it was quick allowed them to play lots of hands and it was difficult for players to raise them out of hands because it fixed limit.
    this allowed for weak players to sometimes get lucky and scoop $300+ from a $10 buyin game but also allowed a big edge for more serious players like myself who won in the long term. everyone was happy.
    That is why I think they would work well here. I think the issue with fixed limit normally is that it takes forever and people get bored/fed up hence why fixed limit hypers work well.

that been said I would also like freeze outs and hyper turbos for No limit games as well.

In regards to AI playing better then a human you cannot make a format of anything for online strategy in which humans will beat AI long term. and I am pretty confident that if someone did make AI for the current games on offer, it would be stronger then 95%+ of the player base and that is a very conservative estimate, and it will definately get stronger/worse for the human player base over the coming years.

I dont know how but poker sites need to find a way of tracking spotting and blocking AI on the poker sites, you cant offer a game which humans will be stronger then AI. ultimately i think online poker is dead in the long term because of bots. I assure you if somehow someone could make the cast in stone guarantee that online poker will stay the way it is for the next 3/4 decades I wouldn't work I would just play online poker for money the rest of my life the fact i go for education and other work shows I really do not believe online poker has much of a future.
    I dont think altering the games due to bots is sensible or going to work. maybe some bot checking software like which of these are signs popping up occasionly might help but i think in time bots will beat that too.