You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Teams - What are they

Shelley7Shelley7 Member Posts: 128
Hi, basically I have been looking through this forum for the last couple of days, I was wondering what the whole team aspect involved? If anyone could shed some light, I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Pretty much was just a community thing on here, and there were competitions like what is now the Forum Triple Takedown where you'd be awarded points for your team based on finishing position etc.

Whole concept is pretty dead nowadays, for a number of reasons:
    1. The SPTs went away for a while, so people weren't meeting each other in real life. A few players moved away from Sky or just left the Poker world altogether. The Sky Poker TV channel also closed down which resulted in the community dropping off a bit.
    2. As the idea of teams is something that very much targeted recreational players looking for an extra way to have fun with poker, teams were full of people who lost interest in Poker over time and found other things that they enjoy. I doubt you'll see anyone at all in the orange "TKP" gear at a SPT event nowadays but 7-8 years ago there were TKP members who were regs all over the forum, and people dressed in orange anywhere you looked at an SPT.
    3. The start of Sky Poker (and Poker teams on here) caught the end of the Poker boom - I think for (particularly younger) people getting into Poker now, with Twitch/YouTube communities being a thing and recreational Poker viewing and free coaching both being far more prevalent than before, they're IMO more likely to follow a Poker streamer and join a fan community instead of wanting to join a Poker team on Sky Poker.
    4. One team leader (who I never had a problem with myself but I know plenty of people definitely grew to dislike, I won't name him) got banned for colluding with a team mate against another player who he had a personal issue with in what was supposed to be a fun £2 tournament, which hurt the whole "team" concept pretty hard. There were always minor issues with people taking the "team" thing too far, usually in the form of really petty "You said something mean about my friend who is in my team so I don't like you any more or anyone in your team" primary school nonsense, but this was the point where it got serious and Sky decided enough was enough and stopped offering team prizes for anything with a "team" element shortly thereafter - Understandably wanting to not potentially encourage a repeat of something damaging to their brand. So that took away one of the other big motives for people to be in a team.
  • Options
    Shelley7Shelley7 Member Posts: 128
    Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, I do appreciate it!

Fair play, that makes sense, most of the posts seemed to be from 4/5 years ago!
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Shelley7 said:

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, I do appreciate it!

Fair play, that makes sense, most of the posts seemed to be from 4/5 years ago!

Yeah SPT stopped at the end of 2013 for 3 years and I think team involvement has dropped off ever since that point.

You can probably still join the ones that are still left and actively recruiting if you wanted to. No harm in joining one I guess.
  • Options
    j3onoj3ono Member Posts: 2,072
    Pretty much echo Andy's views above.
    As an organiser of FTT Monday Comp we have a "Fun" team element which is and will always be welcome, with bragging points on offer each week.
    Sky still supports the comp by offering gtds for the 3 games, No Reg fee (probably the only poker anyway which is the case) and weekly/ monthly token/seat prizes.
    https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/174110/forum-triple-takedown-october-thread-sky-poker-tokens-to-won
    Feel free to join in and play.
    Rungolden
    Jon