You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Thor Hansen

NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 863
Very sadly Thor died today, around six years after he was given just a few weeks to live and told his cancer was terminal. I'm reminded of an excellent story which will make me smile whenever I think of him...

Thor was a bit of a legend, someone who survived around poker a long time and often was "between bankrolls" and looking for a staker to put him in the next big event. One day he had got someone to put him in a $10k buy-in event and he made the final. The first prize was a million dollars which was very unusual in those days...a huge sum. A lady interviewed all of the finalists and she asked Thor what he planned to do with the money if he won. He quietly and flatly said he would probably pay off a few credit cards, mumbled something about make up and said he had a few creditors to settle with. The lady seemed to want to hear about plans to buy a Ferrari, travel the world or splash out and she pressed again. "It's a million dollars, what about the rest?" Without pausing for breath Thor replied...

"They will just have to wait a bit longer".

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,246

Very sad news, he was a giant of the game not so long ago.

RIP Thor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Hansen

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    sad news :'(
  • FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    Thor won 2 WSOP bracelets, 14 years apart. He won the $5K Stud bracelet in 1988 (a time when there were only 12 bracelet events, and of course the Main Event was Johnny CHan's second consecutive main, and featured in the movie "Rounders", and in 2002 took down a $1500 Ace-Five lowball.

His best Main Event cash was in 21st place in 1998 and his last WSOP cashes were in 2015, when he cashed five times.

He was third in the Norwegian overall money list, behind Felix Stephensen and Annette Obrestad with just under $3million recorded on Hendon Mob.