You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Interesting spot in DYM

Thoughts here guys?
Mayhem357 Small blind 25.00 25.00 1530.00
gunman71 Big blind 50.00 75.00 2715.00
Your hole cards
chadw33 Fold
Denjays1 Raise 100.00 175.00 1560.00
scottyjohn Fold
johnw600 Fold
Mayhem357 Call 75.00 250.00 1455.00
gunman71 Call 50.00 300.00 2665.00
Flop
Mayhem357 Check
gunman71 Check
Denjays1 Bet 200.00 500.00 1360.00
Mayhem357 Raise 550.00 1050.00 905.00
gunman71 Raise 1325.00 2375.00 1340.00
Denjays1 All-in 1360.00 3735.00 0.00
Mayhem357 All-in 905.00 4640.00 0.00

Opener I feel has a fairly wide opening range here including higher pairs and decent aces, given blinds and my stack size re-raising pre-flop isn't great unless I go big. I check, opener continues which is fairly standard but here I decide to 3 bet as I feel I can stack over pairs and smaller sets. To my surprise BB now jams on me. I don't have any real notes but given action I have to assume his range is 6-7, 8-8, 5-5 heavy with a few random open ended straight draws , maybe 8-9 being over valued or over pairs thrown in, opener then calls the shove which to me tells me he has most likely an over pair or potentially 5-5 (I don't see him betting 200 with 8-8 on this flop.

If my ranges are right I'm 65% favourite here, original opener is likely in terrible shape with around 6% equity and BB is around 30%. Given blind level though I am wondering whether I should stack off here, I think almost certainly as I only have 1000 behind and pot odds are great needing only 25% equity.

Anyone see this differently? If it helps I'm only winning reg at the table so have big edge even with 1000 chips behind at this stage.

Comments

• Options
    SJspanky1SJspanky1 Member Posts: 620
    Same as you I'd go with this hand versus 2 unknowns. It is what it is if one them rocks up with the flopped straight(which is what happened, right?😢)
  • Options
    Mayhem357Mayhem357 Member Posts: 87
    Yeah I try not to be too results orientated but opener held K-K and BB had 6-7 for the straight. I felt I played the hand correctly but it's a spot where the math means I need to call but the play of my opponents screams this is a cooler.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Is only 1 hand we lose to and we still have outs v that hand and against worse sets we have opponent crushed. We are good against draws and crush overplayed 2pair type hands. DYMs are a format where we can make big laydowns but folding here would be overkill.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,667

When I'm in this spot I have the awful habit of thinking "what hands have me beat here?", & of course 6-7 would spring to mind immediately.

He does not have to have it though, & even if he has, we still have plenty of outs.

I think we had to go with it. Whether it was proven to be right or wrong is, as you note, irrelevant - the correct play was to go with it. (IMO)

If the same spot came up 1,000 times, I think we'd come out ahead if we called every time, as he does not always have the 6-7.

I'm glad you posted this, please post more as & when they crop up.

I got in a weird spot in a Live Tourney recently (SPT Grand Final), & if I'm brave enough, I'll post that later today. One of those "I know I'm behind but......" spots.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

When I'm in this spot I have the awful habit of thinking "what hands have me beat here?", & of course 6-7 would spring to mind immediately.

He does not have to have it though, & even if he has, we still have plenty of outs.

I think we had to go with it. Whether it was proven to be right or wrong is, as you note, irrelevant - the correct play was to go with it. (IMO)

If the same spot came up 1,000 times, I think we'd come out ahead if we called every time, as he does not always have the 6-7.

I'm glad you posted this, please post more as & when they crop up.

I got in a weird spot in a Live Tourney recently (SPT Grand Final), & if I'm brave enough, I'll post that later today. One of those "I know I'm behind but......" spots.

@Tikay10 Post it and I will try and get some people to post some views. Lets make the poker clinic great again!
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited December 2018
    Never, ever folding here especially with top set. Pot odds and opponent ranges are in your favour big time.

On the flop I prefer a check-raise all-in compared to a small check-raise for 3 main reasons:-

1. Big overpairs that call a small check-raise will call an all-in. I guess there maybe hands they have that would call a small check-raise but not a shove however this point is outweighed by the next two points.....

2. A check-raise shove looks weaker than a small check-raise. The check-raise screams "monster". Opponent could put you on pair plus draw combos or smaller overpairs with a shove.

3. You could get a call on the flop and a see a 6, 7 or a T pop off on the turn and kill any further chips going in.