You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Arise, Sir Alistair.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Alistair Cook is to be Knighted.

Deserved, or not?

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Deserved.

As good as any Test batsman England have ever produced. Perhaps not the most exciting, but the most prized if you were the opposition.

Only downsides (for me) were that he was not a great Captain, and some of his records have been set in part because he dropped Pietersen at least a year too early.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    Essexphil said:

Deserved.

As good as any Test batsman England have ever produced. Perhaps not the most exciting, but the most prized if you were the opposition.

Only downsides (for me) were that he was not a great Captain, and some of his records have been set in part because he dropped Pietersen at least a year too early.

33 Test centuries, & an unbroken run of 159 Test matches.

Youngest player in the world to reach 6,000 Test runs, ditto 7,000, 8,000, 9,000, 10,000, 11,000 & 12,000.

• dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    Why do people get honours, just for doing their job?
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269

Why do people get honours, just for doing their job?

'Coz they're better than anyone else who has done that job at that time, and in Sport, for the amount of enjoyment they have provided for so many people imo

I agree totally with what Phil says, even though I don't follow cricket that much.... I just wish they wouldn't give the England Cricket captaincy to the best batsman .......generally they never play as well from that point on.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Thought "Knighthoods" were awarded to people that saved the Nation.
    Like "Sir Frances Drake" " Sir Walter Raleigh" ............Sir Nigel Farage. cough!