You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Should I have made call?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
itsowen14Small blind800.00800.0065297.50
ela990Big blind1600.002400.0011982.50
Your hole cards
  • K
  • K
pokerfi208Call1600.004000.0018911.00
j99uanCall1600.005600.0037085.50
itsowen14Fold
ela990Check
Flop
  • A
ela990Check
pokerfi208Check
j99uanBet30400.0036000.006685.50
ela990Fold
pokerfi208Fold
j99uanMuck
j99uanWin5600.0012285.50
j99uanReturn30400.000.0042685.50

Comments

• Options
    pokerfi208pokerfi208 Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2019
    Hi guys I am interested what your thoughts are on this hand?? should I have gone all in?
    To give some back ground it was the last six (I think) of tournament. I went on to finish 4th, but cannot shake the feeling that the call would have been the right thing to do.
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    Pokerfi I think this hand is a raise with the blind level at 800/1600 and your stack is just under 12bb there is 1.5bb in pot before you call and your best chance of winning is by raising and trying to get it down to a heads up pot pre flop.
    If you were blind on blind sb vs bb I don't mind a call because you want some action with this hand
    The way you played it we are 3 handed to the flop and you see an ace now either opponent can have an ace or a6 or a9 or 96 we don't know we are just guessing here. You can go all in but now you may not be a favourite if you do. But you may have been a favourite if you went all in pre flop with pocket kings.
    Why do you think it's good to call here with pocket kings pre flop? What other action could you have taken ? Do you think your decision pre flop was the best?
    It looks like there 4 left when you played this hand.
    Danny
  • Options
    Hi Mcglynn, I looking back I think there were either seven or eight left in at this point, there was definitely another table running as we where merged soon after, I came fifth not fourth (not that it matters.) from memory I called as I was expecting a bet from either (or both) of the players after me, which I planned to re-raise. I thought a strong bet from me would have induced the fold, which at the time I didn't think was good. Obviously this did not come off and in hindsight I see that I played it wrong from the off. I'll be honest and say that I was to aware of how close I was to the final table, and rather out of my depth ability wise with the other players.

So you feel a strong raise pre-flop, but the way I played it folding was the best option in that spot?

Thanks a lot for the insight.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Raise pre, min is fine.

As played I ain't folding flop; you're not in bad shape against any hand pretty much. Worst case scenario would be up against a flopped flush and you've still got outs (and would a flopped flush just shove there?)
  • Options
    I think a fold is good as you progressed and got more money out of it. When you mention feeling out of your depth ability wise vs the others I think that your choice of flatting rather than raising is in a way making it even more harder. This is a hand that could get you a lot of chips if played on the front foot. You could of even raised all in pre ans still lost so I'm not saying ur decision is wrong. It's just that you are final two tables. 8/9 left and this is a hand that could double you up and put you on a decent stack at the final table.
    If you look at the sitation you are in rather than just the hand it's prob best as a raise. We all get outplayed regularly so don't look at it like you have less of a chance as others. Think about it after. Think what could be different and then when sitation comes up next time you have a better chance of making a better decision. Best regards Danny
  • Options
    One thing I did not see was that you had King of hearts on ace high flop with 3 hearts. This may be a reason to call as well. Sorry I was on phone earlier but now see it properly.
  • Options
    Thanks both of your advice, I'll try to take it on board for next time.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited January 2019
    Firstly, why are you limping? Some very accomplished players will have a limping range and will have worked on this but for now if you go with @Tikay10 rule of never limping then you wont be going too wrong. With our stack sizing I would be min raising or shoving pre and this would be the case with all hands I would play from this stack size.
    In terms of having the big hand and wanting action, with bounty hunters players are encouraged to call all ins to win your bounty so we don't need to be too sneaky and doing plays like that can raise alarm bells to other players.
    I disagree with the comment about it being a good fold as you progressed as if you use that logic then you will be folding way to much and trying to ladder up a few spots rather than playing correctly which should give you better results and a better chance of wins and top 3 finishes which is where the money is.
  • Options
    @MattBates thanks for the advice. The honest answer as to why I limped is that I was rather out of my depth skill wise, had been hammered several times prior to this and at the time (in my low experience brain) it seemed like a good way to see the flop, while giving me a chance to scare off any re-raiser with a big three bet. I was also trying to mix up my plays, so as to not become predictable. Poor, over thinking, caused by watching far to much WSOP on Youtube :D Obviously when the flop does come it puts me in a horrible spot (well at least in my head, which is why I wanted some other peoples take on it) and in hindsight I can see (I think) that short of two kings, or a king and a no ace paired board, nothing on the flop could have made a shove here better for me then pre, as he could already have the flush, AA, or a pocket pair that becomes trips.

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    On a related note using the advice I gained here I won a Head Hunter last night, so thanks all for helping to sort out my poor play :)

It shows that no ones game is beyond redemption! :D
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213
    Type your comment

On a related note using the advice I gained here I won a Head Hunter last night, so thanks all for helping to sort out my poor play :)

Congratulations, that's great news.

Worth noting we have some very helpful players here, always ready to help others.

Great stuff.
  • Options
    Very helpful indeed. It is the one thing that really surprised me to be honest, how willing to help so many people are. Almost as surprising as the seeming x-ray vision some people seem to have when I finally get an amazing hand :D
  • Options
    We have a great hand and should want to get lots of chips in with this hand rather than just be concerned with seeing a flop. With our stack size getting all in pre with a premium is an ideal spot.
    In terms of the flop being horrible, we are drawing to the nut flush so we have outs and it isn't as bad as you may of first thought.
    It is going to be a bit opponent specific (and we also need to factor in what our opponent thinks you will do) but I think it is probably a call given the range of hands our opponent can have, including worst flush draws. The fact they have shoved, and given we have the King of hearts does effect some of the hands they can have and the way they would play them.
    What you want to try and do is be the aggressor in pots, more often than not we will miss the flop so if we are the aggressor we can win with the worst hand (and get value from our good hands) rather than trying to hit ideal flops.
  • Options
    Makes a lot of sense thanks
  • Options

Well played on the win
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    edited January 2019
    Normally I would have called this...... but I'd only just got into the SPT Semi 5minutes earlier through an All-In, didn't want to lose my Tourney life so soon...... and it just felt like I was behind (to a SET 3's or poss. 7's)

What would you do?........ help please :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    AKAscottySmall blind15.0015.003530.00
    mihalyfi07Big blind30.0045.003070.00
    Your hole cards
    GSmith13Fold
    Fat5tack5Raise75.00120.002550.00
    MISTY4MECall75.00195.002850.00
    AKAscottyFold
    mihalyfi07Fold
    Flop
    Fat5tack5Bet97.50292.502452.50
    MISTY4MERaise195.00487.502655.00
    Fat5tack5Raise452.50940.002000.00
    MISTY4MECall355.001295.002300.00
    Turn
    Fat5tack5Check
    MISTY4MEBet660.001955.001640.00
    Fat5tack5All-in2000.003955.000.00
    MISTY4MEFold
    Fat5tack5Muck
    Fat5tack5Win2615.002615.00
    Fat5tack5Return1340.000.003955.00
    Sadly I didn't manage to win a 2nd seat last night..... but there's still time :)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Call you pu ssy!
  • Options
    If you take the line you have then I am calling there. Once we raise that flop and get reraised then we should fold. Not sure raising the flop is the best move but if you are doing it and you get this turn it seems to bet fold.
  • Options
    pokerfi good to hear you won a headhunter well done