You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Documentary Thread

kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,540
My love for a good documentary is second only to my son. If there's a good documentary out there I've probably seen it. It hurts me that some people might of never seen some of these awe inspiring shows so I'm going to slowly post all the best ones just to spread the word.

If anyone else knows a good one then do post it because maybe I and others haven't seen it.

First one is probably my favourite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searching_for_Sugar_Man

Don't read the wiki page before you watch the film tho. There's plenty of twists!

Watch it. Just do it. Find the time. It's available on Netflix.

Comments

• Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2019
    I love docs ...Ben fogles , " new lives in the wild " ..tuesdays 9pm c5 have been very good so far ...last weeks , ( prob available on 5 od) ..was about a very inspiring elderly woman living a fairly off grid existence in a cottage in Ireland. "Finding Escobars millions " was really good as well ..(discovery catch up )..quite like the treasure hunt theme series ..snake Island another good one.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any of them @dobiesdraw !

I'll try and watch them this week. Seen a few of the Ben Fogle ones but not that one.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,218
    One of the best Documentary series I've watched recently was 'My Fighting Season'.... I think it was on National Geographic at the beginning of last year. It shows a lot of actual live camera footage from helmet cameras of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, but there's also amazing footage from a drone strike on two Afghan snipers (now deceased!!) Defo worth watching if you like that sort of thing.

I also enjoyed 'Buried: Knights Templar and the Holy Grail' which was on the History Channel, and has been repeated recently. Fascinating series.

One of the best channels I've found for the sort of historical documentaries I like, is PBS America on SKY ch. 160.
  • Options
    Ye seen this. The bridge is a classic. It's messed up but also a must see at the same time.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

One of the best Documentary series I've watched recently was 'My Fighting Season'.... I think it was on National Geographic at the beginning of last year. It shows a lot of actual live camera footage from helmet cameras of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, but there's also amazing footage from a drone strike on two Afghan snipers (now deceased!!) Defo worth watching if you like that sort of thing.

I also enjoyed 'Buried: Knights Templar and the Holy Grail' which was on the History Channel, and has been repeated recently. Fascinating series.

One of the best channels I've found for the sort of historical documentaries I like, is PBS America on SKY ch. 160.

I don't tend to watch historical docs but my other half can't get enough and nor can her mother. Girl thing??

• Options
    Best ever crime documentary?

Making a Murderer is great but my vote goes to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line_(1988_film)

The director, Errol Morris, had made plenty of docs and most of them are worth seeing.
  • Options

I love docs ...Ben fogles , " new lives in the wild " ..tuesdays 9pm c5 have been very good so far ...last weeks , ( prob available on 5 od) ..was about a very inspiring elderly woman living a fairly off grid existence in a cottage in Ireland. "Finding Escobars millions " was really good as well ..(discovery catch up )..quite like the treasure hunt theme series ..snake Island another good one.

I watched the Ben Fogle doc last night. That woman is amazing. I don't think she'll be able to stay there too much longer tho without support. What would happen if she fell??

Still, much respect to her.
  • Options

I watched the Ben Fogle doc last night. That woman is amazing. I don't think she'll be able to stay there too much longer tho without support. What would happen if she fell??

Still, much respect to her
    Absolutely ..think they would have to drag her kicking and screaming to a home though :) Was really surprised she didn't have to have any particular special permission to bury her husband there , but a great idea to be buried where you were happy.
  • Options

MISTY4ME said:

I don't tend to watch historical docs but my other half can't get enough and nor can her mother. Girl thing??

Must be my 'feminine side' coming out :)

I've always loved History .....maybe 'coz I fancied Miss Bellamy at school ;) .... got an 'A' at O Level
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    Have searching for sugar man on my list to catch up on.

The Seven Five is a really great watch and high recommended.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

I've always loved History .....maybe 'coz I fancied Miss Bellamy at school ;) .... got an 'A' at O Level

Oh my bad. I thought you were a girl! Girl avatar and the name misty. Clint Eastwood film reference?
  • Options

Have searching for sugar man on my list to catch up on.

The Seven Five is a really great watch and high recommended.

Yep the Seven Five is amazing.
  • Options

MISTY4ME said:

Oh my bad. I thought you were a girl! Girl avatar and the name misty. Clint Eastwood film reference?

No worries..... the girl Avatar I picked 'coz TommyD had the same one and he always seemed to do OK ;)
    Misty is actually my daughter's name, and MISTY FOR ME won me quite a lot of money when she won the Irish 1000gns. (would have won me a SHEDLOAD more had she won our 1000gns and The Oaks)
    I did actually meet Clint Eastwood briefly at Pebble Beach back in the 90's..... but that's a story for another day :)
  • Options
    The prosecuters : Babes in the wood murders .
    This was on last night on BBC2 ...fascinating documentary which finally saw justice for the young girls and their families 31 years on .
  • Options
    Ye I saw that a while back. So sick that he got acquitted initially and has spent so long as a free man.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,357
    MISTY4ME said:

You've got too much time on your hands, saddo of Perranporth
  • Options
    rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    Panorama being exposed, coming very soon. :):):)
  • Options
    bbc panorama exposed 23rd Feb.
  • Options
    Great documentary on panorama on the 23rd Feb, exposing racist, homophobic and blackmail. :D:D