You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Did I get the sizing wrong ? (Live cash)

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,192
Hi all, so its a full ring £1-£2 game at my local Genting and ive been sat for about 90 minutes when this occurred.

Im on the button and the effective stacks are £400

s.b £1 b.b £2 utg straddle £4 player 4 call player 5 call player 6 call player 7 raise to £10 player 8 call player 9 call ME reraise to £55.

Now I did this because a raise and 3 callers in front means that my QQ needs to find out whether its good.

The blinds fold as does utg and player 4. Player 5 however tanks, starts some speech play and keeps looking at the players to act after him. He eventually calls and everyone else gets out of the way. Now at this point im confident that Im in front. Although Ive only plated the hour and a half here and a four hour session with him about two weeks previously It became apparent that he rarely limped and usually raised relatively lightly, so the fact that he didnt raise the straddle was a good indication that he hadnt got a premium holding.

Anyway the flop comes 2 4 2 rainbow and he checks. I bet £175 I put him on a draw and want him to pay the max to chase it and he tanks again before calling.

The river is another 4 and he insta shoves. OMG brain scramble !!!!. I tank whilst running the permutations of his possible holdings and eventually decide its either A K suited or A 4 suited. Now heres where Im probably going to get a hammering from you guys b ut I decide that I cant fold for whats behind and make a crying call hoping for a miracle Q.

Antway it doesnt come and he tables K 4 offsuit leaving me to go get a coffee before I attempt a reload.

Now I dont consider this a bad beat just part of the ebb and flow of cash poker, but did I make a mistake with any of my bet sizes because yes whilst we want to win big pots and have our monsters called by weak hands. Im just as happy taking down a £60 plus pot with my preflop 4 bet.

As usual I look forward to your advice / criticism.

Yours in poker.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    edited February 2019
    The second 4 came on the Turn (not the River) I presume you meant ?

Just me being a NIT :)
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    not sure how you can put him on a draw on a 242 rainbow board after 4.5 x three betting pre flop.

We have to use logic in this situation even if logic does not apply.

Reallistically his range should be 77+ ak, aq, ajs a10s

I would be getting it in at all points in the hand as really you should only be worried about aa and kk

a2 a3 a4 a5 35 36 56 should not be in his range

If we lose the hand and he has played junk to a 4.5x raise we should be smiling inside, reload and exploting him over and over again for the rest of the session
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I don't play deep cash so not sure on sizings however a couple of things stood out to me (may just be the way things are worded). You say finding out whether your qq is good. There is a load of dead money out there and we have a premium so seems like a great value spot rather than finding out where we are.
    As Itsover said it makes no sense to say he had a draw given the action or the board texture. What drawing hands (apart from having a pair and drawing to a house) are you putting our opponent on when the flop is 242 rainbow?
  • Options
    Sorry guys I should really re read my posts before submitting as it appears that i missed details out that were germane to the hand, the biggest one being that villain has in the short 5 1/2 hours of total time id played with him seemed incapable of laying down any ace. What I should have said was that at the time I figured him for a big suited ace and thought he was trying to get to another. Obviously he plays A 4 or A 2 the same way and maybe A 5.

Another thought has occurred which is, If I shove pre he really cant call. If I shove the flop does he call thinking his 2 pr are good seeing as he did call a half stack bet or do you think he folds / reraises.

Dont get me wrong. I want people calling big bets with trash but could I have played it better or differently.

Just for the record I reloaded for the max £500 and after another 6 hours finished about even for the session. Villain was probably exposed by this particular hand and got stacked 3 times in short time by the table and left about an hour after this hand.

Yours in poker

Mark
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    cant c anything wrong with ur pre flop or turn play if hes calling raises and 4 bets with that junk u want him on ur table. once in a while the any2 clowns will get lucky 8/10 u stack him
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I don't really understand why you would want to shove pre so he folds rather than make a terrible call or shove the flop so he folds rather than make another bad call. We want to get value and in doing so sometimes our opponents will outdraw us but that is just part of poker. If they are playing like they are we want to get in as many pots as possible with them and value bet big and limit bluffs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I just wanted confirmation that i played the hand correctly. Im at the stage with my live play where I now analyse big pots (both won and lost) to either eradicate mistakes that mean i lose more than i should or leave value on the table when i shouldnt.

When the consensus is that it was played correctly then Im happy.

Going back tonight for a £1 £1 250 bb buy in. Really hope hes there.

Yours in poker,

Mark