You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A Long Hard Look

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
Do you ever find that for some unfathomable reason your game has suddenly gone to pieces ?. Well mine certainly has and its a nightmare.

Online which I've always been honest about is cheap fun that I play because its there, I may as well just log onto a table / comp and give the other players the entry fee or half a dozen buy ins.

Live though its a total disaster both tourney and cash games as it seems that I'm playing face up every hand whilst walking into traps, failing to pick off bluffs, and generally being the sucker that everyone spots in the first 20 minutes at the table.

Now whilst poker players like to talk about variance run bad and suchlike it is I feel more a case of me just losing my identity as a player. Id always played a kind of Negranau esque small ball until you hit it game but after a long, open and brutally honest discussion about my game with people i trust. Its official. I'm playing like a complete spewy donk, playing way too much of my range, overvaluing my holdings, undervaluing my opponents ranges , calling off, chasing action and stubbornly believing my flopped top 2 are good when its obvs my opponent has flopped a straight etc.

So what to do about it. Well first its going to be out with the assumption that I can play this game. I mean when theres a cheer and a rush to get on the reserve lists when you walk into a card room you know thats not a good sign. So first off its back to the training vids, preflop charts and solvers etc and get some solid strategy in place to start from.

Secondly, it would appear that i need to play the same style of game whether online or live instead of playing in different ways as its been questioned whether i can actually employ 2 separate strategies ( it would appear from the state of my game that i cant)

Finally to have some level of accountability for my game. So as of the first of March i will be doing a £100 - £1,000 challenge here on Sky playing only £2.30 - £5.50 tourneys and sng and 02 - 04 nl cash. Whilst playing 1 live tourney and 1 live cash session each week.

So I look forward to your encouragement, criticism, advice and anything else you feel may be germane to the mission.

Yours in poker

Mark

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,350
    edited February 2019
    Hi Mark ,

Good luck with this challenge.

What times will you be playing 02-04 cash?

I wonder if playing sit and go's and cash at the same time will result in the different playing requirements bleeding over into each other.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
    Thanks mumsie.

Online I shall probably not play the cash and the s n gs at the same time tbh. I'm kinda leaning toward playing mtts and s n gs at the same time and then probably switching to 02 -04nl after the 23-15 deepstack has finished.

I would also aim to play cash during the traditional luchbreak slot of midday to say 2.15.

I cant play between 5pm and 11pm Thur Fri sat Sun as this is when I work which is a shame coz Im sure that thats when the easier money is up for grabs.

Live will be a comp Mon or Wed and cash 1 session between Thur night - Sat night which would be after work and also be buy in and player dependent as to begin with Im going to be underrolled for the live cash so that may get put on the burner for a while.

The bankrolls for each will be separate obviously

As Ive said itll all start March 1st because frankly to start any sooner would just be madness. I need this 2 week break to just go right back to basics. At least now Ive realised that ive got more leaks than a greek ferry I can start to do something about it and tbh admitting it was my fault was probably the hardest part.

Went back to school on my opening hands and ranges last night. OMG. No wonder my games gone to rats. If the rest of the models are the same and I fear thats going to be the case then im surprised I still have any clothes on my back.

Yours in poker .

Mark
  • Options
    MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168
    I Know your pain !!!! fell out of love with the game after all the meddling and tinkering changing the winning style i had into a losing game so after a 7 year sabattical im back leaks and all but im going back to what worked for me rather than what worked for others i think ultimately what went wrong i got new strats and overused them and forgot about what worked for me
    Good luck with your quest i wlll be on MTT'S and Cash low limits
    If MasoniReef 2 outers ya sorry