You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Thousands of school children "went on strike" yesterday to protest about Climate Change.

On the face of it, a really good thing that some of today's youngsters really care about these things, & where genuine, massive respect to them.

I'm conflicted though, the problem I have is that a) many kids intensely dislike school & will use such things as an excuse to bunk off, & b), seems it could be the thin end of the wedge, & kids will be freerolling the system if it catches on & pseudo-striking over all sorts. And I'm really not sure that kids aged, say, 9 or 10, should have the right to "strike".

The conduct of some of the strikers - probably a minority, I really don't know - included "F*ck Thresa May" chants. Again, in a decent society, it can't be a good thing to encourage such rhetoric surely, whoever or whatever they dislike?

Comments

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Kids should be kids
    Enjoy your youth whilst you can, it doesnt last long.
    Picture says it all, encouraged by the teachers to back their cause.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Should teach the kids about this guy.

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Don't understand how these kids could be allowed to do this in term-time.
    It is half-term next week:-quite apart from the thousands who missed school without an acceptable reason, what about all the finite resources wasted in the schools they were supposed to be in?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    Essexphil said:

Don't understand how these kids could be allowed to do this in term-time.
    It is half-term next week:-quite apart from the thousands who missed school without an acceptable reason, what about all the finite resources wasted in the schools they were supposed to be in?

Good post. A good % of the world don't have access to free education (albeit tax-funded), and here we have kids spurning it so they can chant "F**k Theresa May". Chanting such rhetoric never won any argument ever.

And there's no reason why they could not have had their March during the weekend or, as you note, during half-term. Think we can safely assume it would have less attraction to them during weekends or school holidays.

I suppose you and I are a bit too old school.