You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Honda to close Swindon plant?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    It's their Civic duty.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Nothing to do with Brexit?
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606
    Honda to close Swindon, plan?

Fixed your headline
    edited February 2019
    Honda has confirmed it will close its Swindon car plant in 2021, with the loss of about 3,500 jobs.
    Honda said the move was due to global changes in the car industry and the need to launch electric vehicles, and it had nothing to do with Brexit.

A fall in demand for diesel cars and tougher emissions regulations have shaken up the car industry.

Ian Howells, senior vice-president for Honda in Europe, told the BBC: "We're seeing unprecedented change in the industry on a global scale. We have to move very swiftly to electrification of our vehicles because of demand of our customers and legislation.

"This is not a Brexit-related issue for us, it's being made on the global-related changes I've spoken about.

"We've always seen Brexit as something we'll get through, but these changes globally are something we will have to respond to. We deeply regret the impact it will have on the Swindon community."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

Honda has confirmed it will close its Swindon car plant in 2021, with the loss of about 3,500 jobs.
    Honda said the move was due to global changes in the car industry and the need to launch electric vehicles, and it had nothing to do with Brexit.

A fall in demand for diesel cars and tougher emissions regulations have shaken up the car industry.

Ian Howells, senior vice-president for Honda in Europe, told the BBC: "We're seeing unprecedented change in the industry on a global scale. We have to move very swiftly to electrification of our vehicles because of demand of our customers and legislation.

"This is not a Brexit-related issue for us, it's being made on the global-related changes I've spoken about.

"We've always seen Brexit as something we'll get through, but these changes globally are something we will have to respond to. We deeply regret the impact it will have on the Swindon community."

This of course could be absolutely true.
    Alternatively the statement may have been influenced by the Government.
    It is difficult to ignore the sudden flurry of bad news affecting the car industry.
    Other foreign companies choosing to set up in the UK, to access the EU seems unlikely.
    HAYSIE said:

It is difficult to ignore the sudden flurry of bad news affecting the car industry.
    Other foreign companies choosing to set up in the UK, to access the EU seems unlikely.
    If they said it was because of Brexit , you wouldn't question the validity , but any other reason , you do ! :D

HAYSIE said:

If they said it was because of Brexit , you wouldn't question the validity , but any other reason , you do ! :D
    Not true.

I have said on a number of occasions that Brexit would have played a part, but not been the sole reason for a particular reason.

I have also pointed to the deal that Japan has done with the EU, being a factor.

You have pointed to the excellent employment stats, yet the amount of bad news seems to be increasing, as we approach the Brexit deadline.

This of course could just be a coincidence.
    edited February 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Not true.

I have said on a number of occasions that Brexit would have played a part, but not been the sole reason for a particular reason.

I have also pointed to the deal that Japan has done with the EU, being a factor.

You have pointed to the excellent employment stats, yet the amount of bad news seems to be increasing, as we approach the Brexit deadline.

As I've already said , you are just hearing more about it ..and people tend to focus more on the news that supports their views :p

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Not true.

As I've already said , you are just hearing more about it ..and people tend to focus more on the news that supports their views :p
    Whatever your views, it is hard to ignore the increasing amount of bad employment news as we approach the March deadline.