You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brighton sack Hughton

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811

Feels a little harsh to me, but Football Management is a tough gig. Still, they get well paid, & in most cases, their contract gets fully paid up, so he'll get 2 years greengages for sitting at home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48251716

Comments

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    Yeah seems very harsh. He kept them up which would have been their main objective at the beginning of the season.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Thought this was interesting. "He is the seventh Premier League manager to be sacked this season."
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811
    MattBates said:

Thought this was interesting. "He is the seventh Premier League manager to be sacked this season."

Might be another later, Warnock is meeting his Chairman today.

The pay is good but the job security sucks, 7 out of 20 is not good.
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    I have admired my South coast neighbour, fighting back from the brink, playing in a greyhound stadium whilst fighting bureaucracy to get a new ground. Coming back up through the leagues, achieving promotion to the premier league and staying there.
    Today I have lost my admiration. I know they had a dismal run, three wins out of the last twenty three games, but, Hughton simply deserves better imo. The chairman seems to have forgotten how he got them there and kept them there two years in a row. I agree some of the signings have not been great, I am not sure if Hughton was 100% responsible for those. However you can only sign a certain level of player on certain salary levels. Have they forgotten the size of club they are? The Chairman said he was worried that the bad run put their status at risk, maybe, I say maybe, at a business level it might seem right, a long run of bad results requires some changes for sure, but I would rather keep the man in charge, a man proven at that club, a man who, in many ways, has overachieved in the past, and help him rather than sack him.
    You now are basically gambling that another manager , who will probably want to bring his own back room staff , bringing more cost to the club, can turn things around.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Tikay10 said:
    I would love it if Benitez was approached to take on this project, if only to give Mike Ashley the two fingered salute for his appalling treatment, vis a vis funding the team, of a great tactician; sadly underrated by Chelsea fans......
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,981
    I've always liked Chris Hughton.

Not the most naturally talented footballer, but gave it his all, every game. The sort of player you love when he is playing for your team, and perhaps underrate if he does not.

As a Manager, he has been mistreated in the past, particularly at Newcastle. This time? Sorry, think he had to go-since the turn of the year they have been awful. But I really hope he does well in his next job.
    Hughton for Cardiff, when there is the next 'mutual parting by agreement'?

This is quite revealing.......

Net Spends since June 2016 (£)

Man City: 343m
    Man Utd: 310m
    Chelsea: 203m
    Everton: 160m
    Arsenal: 148m
    Brighton: 130m
    Wolves: 124m
    West Ham: 112m
    Bourn: 104m
    Fulham: 101m
    Palace: 85m
    Hudd: 81m
    Leic: 76m
    LFC: 73m
    Burnley: 49m
    Watford: 41m
    Spurs: 31m
    Newcastle: 4m
    Southampton: -10m
    This puts Liverpool’s recent improvement into perspective! ( selling Coutinho being the major £ factor)

When Brighton get £100m(?) per season for staying in the Premier league, still could be considered a great return!
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2019
    Timing of results can be quite key for managers. You could have the same points but be under threat due to runs of results. If you overperform at start of season then underperform rather than look at the overall points for the season people concentrate on the bad run and assume it will continue.

Being realistic about where you side sits in the league is very hard both for fans and the board and unrealistic expectations lead to lots of managers getting the sack.
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    Mmm I suppose when you look at those figures then you can understand why they sacked him. I guess they would be looking at how teams like Wolves have performed this season and see no reason why they shouldn't be doing the same.
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    Madness for me.

Where exactly do Brighton expect to be??

Survival, & a run to the semi finals of the FA Cup seems like a successful season to me!
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Tikay10 said:

This is quite revealing.......

Net Spends since June 2016 (£)

Man City: 343m
    Man Utd: 310m
    Chelsea: 203m
    Everton: 160m
    Arsenal: 148m
    Brighton: 130m
    Wolves: 124m
    West Ham: 112m
    Bourn: 104m
    Fulham: 101m
    Palace: 85m
    Hudd: 81m
    Leic: 76m
    LFC: 73m
    Burnley: 49m
    Watford: 41m
    Spurs: 31m
    Newcastle: 4m
    Southampton: -10m

Thats unbelievable.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,981
    You know the world has gone mad when Fulham spent £100million to make their team worse...
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Up the road here Rangers spent roughly £11m on transfers and they get called the big spenders, its a joke.