You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Origin of bok?

bearacebearace Member Posts: 131
Angmar asked about this on his thread and Tikay didn't know the answer - after some extensive research (10 minutes googling lol) I found a couple of plausible theories. Copy and paste below.

The term "BOK"
« on: June 20, 2009, 21:23:07 PM »
... I know what it means (in a poker sense) ... but where does it come from?

Re: The term "BOK"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 23:44:45 PM »
"BOK" is the acronym for -

"Bearer Of Karma"

When used in this context, and should be used -

"I was a BOK for him".

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »
... this is interesting ... I did some research on this ... and will post later ...

Do you mean the below in a positive sense?

Whenever anyone has spoken of Boking in a poker sense it has been negative (Karma).

Are you the positive BOK?

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 13:28:51 PM
The term had no positive/negative associations originally, however, it has slowly become known as a purely negative term.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 14:04:52 PM »
... weird the way the human psyche works ... always heading to the negative poles ...

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 14:32:15 PM »
... this is what I found on urbandictionary.com

1. seventhbok (Did this just get clipped to bok?)

in large scale poker tournaments (World Poker Tour, World Series of Poker) the final table is made up of six players. thus, the "bubble place", i.e. missing the final table, is seventh. usually the final table in these tournament events is televised, so besides missing the prize money jump, the player also misses being on televisions (and the endorsements that come with it.)

Joe Sebok, son of poker legend Barry Greenstein, has had two WPT 7th place finishes; his friend, poker pro Gavin Smith, gave him the nickname "Seventhbok" for this feat.

03/12/07 - $ 9,600 WPT Championship Event No Limit Hold'em Bay 101 Shooting Stars, San Jose

08/25/07 - $ 9,500 No Limit Hold'em Championship Event 2007 Legends of Poker, Los Angeles
i was playing great and had a good loose-aggressive image. i picked up aces on the button and raised; the big blind called and we got it all-in on the flop. i was a big dog to his flopped set and end up going out Seventhbok

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 14:36:22 PM »
Hhmmmmm, while it "Sounds" plausible, involving Joe and his record, I think you will find this has been made up.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 14:46:11 PM »
... well not sure ... he did finish 7th in both ... final table is 6 in WPT ...

Found it hard to get any type of derivation from those who use the phrase!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 14:49:14 PM »
Yet it also refers to the WSOP as an example where they have 6 players on the final table, which is wrong as we all know, I think someone just used the convenient facts to make a good story.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 14:53:19 PM »
... the first time someone said "don"t bok me" to me ... they won ... so I am keen on the positive Karma theory ... not too keen on the Sebok one ... but interested in what others think ... or thought ...

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 14:58:20 PM »
I concur, the Karma idea "Feels" right and I am not entirely convinced with the Sebok explanation.

Comments