You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poker return in 2020

Comments

• Options
    nickkaynickkay Member Posts: 169
    MattBates said:

Great work firing up that last game and battling to the win!

Cheers Matt, made the days slog worthwhile, especially overcoming a 4/1 chip deficit heads up.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,051

Well done @nickkay , when the going gets tough & all that.
  • Options
    Bitterly disappointed last night. With a huge chip lead going into the 7.15 final table, played really really badly and gave zero thought to ICM in relation to chip stacks. Called off two shoves fairly light (240k stack, blinds 3k/6K), especially one with A8 against a tight Villain for 90k. After playing solid for four hours, I ant believe how badly I played the FT.

Bankroll boosted to £167.49 but we should have been locking up a top two easily. Regroup and play both deep stacks tonight and maybe fire a couple of bullets at the £3.60 directs to main.

On the whole though, finding I’m playing solid poker the last few weeks, and hopefully the good run continues.
  • Options

Good stuff @nickkay & I fancy you won't that mistake again, so in a way it was in investment.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Good stuff @nickkay & I fancy you won't that mistake again, so in a way it was in investment.

Wise words TK. Run good continues, 1/31 in a £3.60 main, will also play the mini. Someone say jackpot ;)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,647
    run golden nick
  • Options
    stokefc said:

run golden nick

Cheers pal, seen you running deep in plenty of deepstacks lately.
  • Options
    So, Thursday night, I've done the hard part and won a £3.60 sat to the main. The world is good, I obv register the mini, and I go for a shower before both start.

Obviously, hot water effects my brain as I managed to bust both in just level two. A particularly spectacular exit in the main, sees me over play Q10 on a Q high board, betting into a villain who called every street before jamming the river.

I know I'm beat. I'm wasting 75+BB on the hope I'm good. Simple fold and carry on, but oh no, somehow the devil on my shoulder is convincing me I'm good, "make the hero call" he whispers. Sure enough I time bank down and at the last min make the call. KK is good, and its obv he had a strong hand with his initial 3 bet. I know how to play deepstacks, so why am I making such an idiotic play. Bemused by my horrendous play, I could not even tell you how I busted the mini, but I'm sure it wasn't as bad as the main.

Still in my haze after the awful call, I rage bought into the £11 BH. Early on I raise IP with AJ, one caller. Flop a very healthy 10KQ rainbow. Here we go, the nights redemption is coming starting right now. I bet the flop, flat called. I'm smiling, I'm doubling up early, picking up a bounty, easy game this. Turn is a 9, meh, no bother. Then, of course to top of the evening, another 9 on the river.

After a short pause I pot bet, which is met by an instant jam. There's no way he could have a full house, I try and convince myself its a chop at worst. Dwell, timebank down, call. Villain QQ for the rivered boat. Lap top instantly shut.

Of all Thursdays woes, the one grating thing is qualifying for a main for a small sat fee and then not playing how I know I can. Obv the field is a lot tougher than the small stakes deepies I usually play, but I feel I've let myself down.

Anyway, only played the rewards freeroll last night, 58th boosted the bankroll by a gigantic £4. Deepstacks today and possibly a few vegas sats.

Balance: £146.69
  • Options

Nice post.

We all get visits from that devil from time to time.

• Options
    A week off the virtual felt, and what a week. The highlight of Lockdown has made me realise my lounge wallpaper has 117 flowers, yes, it’s god that bad. Tuesday morning the GF rings me with real panic in her voice, immediately I think something is very wrong.

GF: Nick
    ME: What? What is it? The kids ok?
    GF: There’s been a terrible accident
    ME: WHAT?!?
    GF: It’s your laptop
    ME: (confused) My laptop?
    GF: Bobby’s dropped it down the stairs and smashed the screen
    ME: Oh ffs....

In the current climate, a smashed laptop screen isn’t really a big deal, with people in far worse situations.

Limited to playing on a tablet (uncomfortable to say the least), I’ve not played this week bar the £11 5k UKOPS last night. The tablet took some getting used too, especially when you want to type a funky bet amount, but it mattered not. After getting a 16k stack quite early, I really should have run a lot deeper than I did. Alas, it’s a Friday night, it’s been a long work at week (I’m a courier), and that old swine San Miguel decided I was going to play as badly as a blind Janie Gold (remember that massive luck box?)

The only saving grace for the bankroll was picking up 3 bounties. Me drinking and playing poker are definitely long term -EV

Limited to one table (I usually play two, occasionally three), I fired up the 8 a.m £200 BH. which has been friendly to me in recent times. Nursing a small stack, I finally found spots and chips with 8 left, I’m chip leader. I raise on the button with A9, one caller. Flop 8710 rainbow.

I bet, villain calls. Turn K. Good card to rep I decide and pot bet. Villain calls with not much behind and now I’m also pot commited regardless of the river. A lowly 2 arrives, I jam, insta call with 66 and I’m on fumes. I’m not convinced the villains play Ian optimal and does he call a shove pre with 66 (he has exactly 20 bigs).

Good game: 8/81 £14.35

Quickly late reg to the 9.00 £200 BH and quickly built a stack and a few bounties. As with the way poker goes, a cruel runner runner straight smashes my flopped two pair on the first hand of the FT. 10BB I find A9 (irony) and jam. Of course I run into QQ and AA and it’s goodness night Vienna.

Sigh : 6/89 £21.05

Happy with my play even though tablet not ideal. Will prob play afternoon deep stack and try and sat into a UKOPS. Stay safe folks and keep your laptops away from 3-year-olds!

Balance: £184.02

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Hi @nickkay
    My good ladies laptop screen is broken also, our son borrowed it to do “ some stuff” and plugged it into his tv ( there’s probably a much better tech description)
    Is this a possibility?
    Always good to do battle with you in the 7:15 deep stack.
    G l mate.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Hi again
    Found the techy description-

Plug the USB-C cable into your laptop and an HDMI cable into your TV. Then plug the other end of the HDMI cable into the adapter to connect the two devices together. To finish the process, select the HDMI input on your TV.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,647
    my laptop screen has been smashed for about 5 years now i just connected it to my monitor
    gl Nick
  • Options
    Poker can be a brutal game at times, but yesterday was one of the worst days I've possibly ever had. Absolutley bricked everything all day, 8 tournaments and all to show for it was one bounty in the 5k UKOPS.

I've probably played 6 or 7 UKOPS and not had a run in any. Dejected after yesterdays dire results, I fired up the 5k UKOPS not hoping for much and promptly busted fairly early. Being a rebuy I fired another bullet and quickly got a double up. Summing up how the day went I proceeded to get it in good at least 4 to 5 times, only for the poker gods to throw out runner runner straights/flushes and rivered better two pairs.

Despite the set backs, I managed to grind up a stack and with 100 players looming left, tables were getting tight. Finding a spot with KQ with a 10BB stack, flopping a K, it all goes in. Tight villain whos sat on a 19 BB stack time banks down and eventually calls with JJ.

Turn blank, river, to sum up the day, the two outer J, gg.

If not for the UKOPS main today, I would have prob had the day off, but will play some deep stacks and try to sat into that. I surely can't run any worse.

Balance: £134.98
  • Options

Chin up @nickkay

When the going gets tough...
  • Options
    What a difference a day makes. Just finished 2/96 in the 8 am turbo BH for £70 in bounties and prize money. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.

Balance: £204.77
  • Options

...the tough get going.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

...the tough get going.

:)
  • Options
    Second final table of the day, same result finishing 2/49 in the £3.30 PLO8. Threw chip lead away, but meh.

Balance: £218.44
  • Options
    Binked a sat to the 10k £33 BH. Surely this is the first...