You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Did I make a really bad fold?

EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
edited December 2021 in Strategy
A £10 MTT and we're down to about 14 with 10 paid, I think I was 2/3rd in chips and villain is the only player on the table who can leave me on fumes. I don't have any note on villain but he has been very loose/aggressive in my limited time on this table. I was maybe too concerned about not crashing out when I had got myself into a good position and already had 9 bounties. In hindsight and with a bit more time to think about it, I think my fold is probably horrible, but I would be interested in your opinions. FWIW a couple of orbits later I had AQ in the sb and ran it into bbs 77, which crippled me and I went out before the money anyway.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxxxSmall blind200.00200.0014952.50
EnutBig blind400.00600.0016250.00
Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q
lyonsbob06Fold
scotty77Fold
stocky15Fold
trundleFold
xxxxxCall200.00800.0014752.50
EnutRaise800.001600.0015450.00
xxxxxCall800.002400.0013952.50
Flop
  • Q
xxxxxCheck
EnutBet1800.004200.0013650.00
xxxxxAll-in13952.5018152.500.00
EnutFold
xxxxxxMuck
xxxxxxWin6000.006000.00
xxxxxxReturn12152.500.0018152.50

Comments

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    edited February 2020
    This is an incredibly nitty fold. Super duper mega nitty. What AREN'T you folding here? Just sets? A loose aggressive villain in this spot has about a trillion different combos here that you're light years ahead of.
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    IMO they frequently have a set or two pair here. Small pairs like 55/66 are all over their limp-calling range pre, along with Q6s/Q5s. Straight draws and plenty of flush draws can be too but it's hard to say if they would 3b-jam 34bb with those. If you can be confident this player will have worse top pairs or draws here then you're in great shape.

I've been watching a lot of Assassinato training videos lately and something he constantly goes back to is when weak players raise you, believe them. If you're confident it's a genuinely competent laggy player, then you should probably call.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    Snap call
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Hi Paul
    I’m calling before his chips reach the middle 😊
    Thoughts before betting?
    Things to consider before your C bet - What do I do if he raises me? What do I do if he shoves?
    The consideration of above should include his previous, the board texture, and assigned range.
    I’m a fish though 😉
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    edited February 2020
    The only excuse you could have for folding is if you didn't make it back to your computer in time after running around the room cheering with a Shearer like arm in the air.

I notice you mention about being on a bad run on another thread. I guess this is what is playing on your mind here. You convince yourself you're behind because of it. It's easily done, but you have got to try and keep it out if your mind or it ends up affecting your decision making like it has here.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    NOSTRI said:

IMO they frequently have a set or two pair here. Small pairs like 55/66 are all over their limp-calling range pre, along with Q6s/Q5s. Straight draws and plenty of flush draws can be too but it's hard to say if they would 3b-jam 34bb with those. If you can be confident this player will have worse top pairs or draws here then you're in great shape.

I've been watching a lot of Assassinato training videos lately and something he constantly goes back to is when weak players raise you, believe them. If you're confident it's a genuinely competent laggy player, then you should probably call.

Why would he rejam a set ot two pair? He would try to extract value surely.

Should be made bigger 9n his limp pre but yeah it's a snap call. If he has you he had you but you can be happy you made the long term profitable correct call
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Itsover4u said:

Why would he rejam a set ot two pair? He would try to extract value surely.

That's what he should do. I see people fast play hands like this all the time at £5 and below. Admittedly I don't know what the £11 pool is like, that's why I've raised the question of whether villain is genuinely competent or not. I think it makes a difference here. Long-term it's obviously a fine call.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,044
    You need a compelling reason to fold.

So IF you have clear notes on the player only betting like this with 2 pair or more, or IF it was 2008, it's a fold.

If not, it's a snap call.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    Thanks everyone for your comments, agreed I probably messed up here (which is why I posted it). In my defence, and in agreement with @NOSTRI, I have called in similar positions before and been shown two pair a lot, admittedly that makes his holding either 56 or the funky Q5 or Q6 but that certainly wouldn't have surprised me.

I would agree that sets shouldn't be shoved but sometimes they are, especially by poorer looser players.

Against a smaller stack I call too.

As a post script once I had lost most of my stack in a flip against the sb I had about 4 bb left when in the big blind. Villain was in the sb again (obv) and called pre. The flop came KK4 and he checked, I shoved my remaining chips in with Qx thinking that he couldn't have Ax as he would have surely jammed pre? Anyway he called with A9 and held.

Next time I play him I will have some better notes!
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    Enut said:

Thanks everyone for your comments, agreed I probably messed up here (which is why I posted it). In my defence, and in agreement with @NOSTRI, I have called in similar positions before and been shown two pair a lot, admittedly that makes his holding either 56 or the funky Q5 or Q6 but that certainly wouldn't have surprised me.

I would agree that sets shouldn't be shoved but sometimes they are, especially by poorer looser players.

Against a smaller stack I call too.

As a post script once I had lost most of my stack in a flip against the sb I had about 4 bb left when in the big blind. Villain was in the sb again (obv) and called pre. The flop came KK4 and he checked, I shoved my remaining chips in with Qx thinking that he couldn't have Ax as he would have surely jammed pre? Anyway he called with A9 and held.

Next time I play him I will have some better notes!

I agree too, you do see them turn up with random 2 pair hands here, but more often than not you are miles ahead.