You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,026
    Christmas plans may be torn up again with Tier 4 decision in a 'couple of days'

Millions of people’s Christmas plans may be torn up again before Friday after a top Tory warned new lockdowns could be decided in the “next couple of days”.

Robert Jenrick warned there is “rising evidence” the new coronavirus variant is spreading beyond London and the South East.

The government’s Covid operations committee will review evidence later today - and consider “whether we should take action now to try to head that off.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/christmas-plans-may-be-torn-up-again-with-tier-4-decision-in-a-couple-of-days/ar-BB1calBO?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Rinkhals said:

@HANSON agreed, pretty much nothing more than an economic blockade

Cases of the new coronavirus strain spreading rapidly in the UK have been confirmed in Denmark, Italy, Gibraltar, the Netherlands and Australia.

France and South Africa also believe they have cases of the mutation - known as VUI-202012/01 - but these have not been confirmed.

French health minister Olivier Veran said it is "entirely possible" the new variant is already circulating in France, but no cases have been officially identified yet.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the World Health Organisation's COVID-19 technical lead, confirmed nine cases in Denmark and a number of others in the Netherlands and Australia late on Sunday.

Dutch officials said they had taken a sample of coronavirus cases early this month and found evidence of the mutant strain among them.

In South Africa, a strain that appears to be very similar to the one from the UK has been found, but experts are not yet sure if it is the same.

According to data from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the UK has one of the highest capacities in the world to test for the genomes found in the new COVID variant.

Sky News economics editor Ed Conway said that it is "plausible" this means the mutant strain is already widely circulating across the globe, but Britain is best placed to detect it.
    As the new variant is spreading much faster, it is easy to see why other countries would prefer to stop travel from the UK.
    Didnt the UK do this with other countries where infections were increasing hand over fist, earlier in the year.?
    Doesnt this policy make sense?

Our experts are saying that because we are cleverer than everyone else, we have been the first country to detect the new strain.
    This may be true.
    So the argument seems to be that although other countries may have examples of the new strain, we have many more, and our numbers are increasing dramatically.
    This is why so many countries have stopped travel from the UK.

Surely if the shoe was on the other foot the French had detected the new variant, and infections were going through the roof, the general public in this country would be screaming at our politicians to close our borders with France?
    I think that a lot of the general public see that whilst France shut their borders to the U.K. (rightly so) no actions were taken regarding other countries,therefor it can be seen as more than just Covid control.
    They werent the first.

France has become the latest country to ban travel from the UK over fears of a rapidly spreading new strain of coronavirus. The country follows Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, and Belgium in imposing restrictions.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/20/france-becomes-latest-country-to-suspend-travel-from-uk-13781942/?ito=cbshare

So once the new strain gets established in other countries we can expect to see euro wide restrictions affecting other than just the U.K.
    I dont think they get 18,000 trucks and drivers per day coming in from anywhere else.
  • Options
    More than 47,000 London coronavirus cases confirmed in a week as crisis ‘out of control’

London’s Covid-19 crisis is spiralling increasingly out of control with more than 47,000 confirmed cases in a week, official figures reveal.

The data on Monday show the number of cases in the city more than doubling in a week.

The north east of the capital is the worst hotspot but cases are rising fastest in many inner London boroughs, as well as in Richmond.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/more-than-47-000-london-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-a-week-as-crisis-out-of-control/ar-BB1c6enD?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    HAYSIE said:

Christmas plans may be torn up again with Tier 4 decision in a 'couple of days'

Just one dose of this and I'll be sorted 🦠

• Options
    Oxfordshire, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk join Home Counties with 24 MILLION in Tier 4 toughest lockdown from Boxing Day, while Bristol and Cornwall both move up a level - so which tier are YOU?
    Department of Health data shows Covid infections are growing rapidly in London, the South East and East
    But the presence of a new strain of Covid-19 could extend Tier 4 out to the South West, Midlands and North
    Birmingham was spared from Tier 4 lockdown today - but new rules could be announced as soon as today
    No10's scientific advisers blame spread on a mutated form thought to be up to 70 per cent more infectious
    Deaths have also started to soar in line with the spike in cases across the three badly-hit regions, data shows
    Home Secretary Priti Patel refused to rule out national lockdown, commenting: 'Our objective is to save lives'

The Health Secretary told the remaining parts of the South East not already in the toughest level they would be in it little more than 48 hours. He broke the news in a press conference this afternoon after Sage experts revealed the coronavirus R rate in Britain linked to the new variety of Covid has risen to between 1.1 and 1.3. The outbreak of the new variant of Covid-19 is spreading fastest in London and the East of England, where the R could be as high as a shocking 1.5, and it is at least one or higher in every region of England except the North East and North West. West Sussex and the parts of East Sussex, Essex, Surrey and Hampshire not already in the top tier will enter Tier 4 from a minute past midnight on Boxing Day, with the exception of the New Forest. They will be joined by Oxfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9083061/Hancock-puts-six-million-people-Tier-4-Oxfordshire-East-Anglia-join-Home-Counties.html
  • Options
    'So we sacrifice our Christmas but they still get to enjoy theirs?' Angry Britons already living in Tier 4 share frustration after more areas get set for toughest Covid rules - but not until Boxing Day

West Sussex and the parts of East Sussex, Essex, Surrey and Hampshire not already in the top tier will enter Tier 4 from a minute past midnight on Boxing Day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9083095/Covid-UK-Britons-living-Tier-4-share-frustration-Boxing-Day-rules.html
  • Options
    Hundreds of Pfizer vaccine doses delivered to GP surgery in Macclesfield are thrown away after 'refrigeration issue' as patients are told they face three week wait for jab

A batch of the coronavirus vaccine Pfizer-BioNTech, containing 975 doses, which was delivered to Waters Green Medical Centre in Macclesfield was thrown away after 'refrigeration issues'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9083373/Hundreds-Pfizer-vaccine-doses-delivered-GP-surgery-Macclesfield-thrown-away.html
  • Options
  • Options
    "Vaccine boost for millions as hospitals near breaking point" is the front page headline of the Sunday Times.

It says that as pressure intensifies on the NHS as a result of the new coronavirus variant, the jab developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca is expected to be approved for use in the UK by Thursday. The paper says it "cannot come soon enough".

In an interview, Astra Zeneca's chief executive, Pascal Soriot, says: "We think we have figured out the winning formula" to maximise the protection offered. He believes the vaccine will work against mutations of the virus, but admits further tests are needed to prove that.

The Sun on Sunday thinks the jab will be given the green light on Monday. The vaccines minister, Nadhim Zahawi, tells the paper this is down to the "heroic" efforts of everyone involved.

He says "we have seen the best of British at every stage" of its development, with world-leading scientists working around-the-clock to carry out vital research.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55456431
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Hospital Covid admissions are set to surge PAST first wave peak amid fears NHS is being 'overwhelmed' by highly infectious new strain - with ministers to decide in days if millions MORE Britons must be put in Tier 4 lockdown

Doctors fear the NHS could be quickly overwhelmed as hospital admissions surge due to the highly infectious Covid strain raging across the country. The total number of patients in hospital with the virus is likely to exceed the peak from the first wave, with 21,286 people being treated on December 22, just below the record 21,683 from April 12. The concerns come as millions more Britons face being plunged into Tier 4 this week (right), with the next tier review on December 30 amid rising infections and hospitalisations. NHS England warned that the entire health service will have to stay on its highest state of alert until at least the end of March due to an ongoing influx of patients, and hospitals have been told to free up every possible bed. The UK reported 30,501 new cases on Sunday (bottom left), with a further 316 deaths within 28 days of a positive test

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Thought I would add some personal perspective on the UK's approach to testing.

My wife and 2 kids are unwell with what (we hope) are colds. I am a little worse, with what (I hope) is a heavy cold. Not terrible, but enough to stop me playing UKOPS. All had this since 24th December. All other things being equal, it is more likely that we have colds.

My wife has asked for a Test-told she has insufficient Covid symptoms to warrant a test. And told she is not required to self-isolate.

Fair enough, you might think. Until I mention what the NHS regard as irrelevant.
    My wife works at a school. She is in a work bubble of 11 people. On the last day of term, 1 of them tested positive. Since then, at least 6 more have tested positive, 4 of which since Xmas.

Next Monday, it seems likely my wife will return to school. There are plans to mass-test pupils and teachers, but not kitchen staff.

Covid is an infectious disease. If work contacts are deemed irrelevant, then it is no wonder that infection rates are rising.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

My wife and 2 kids are unwell with what (we hope) are colds. I am a little worse, with what (I hope) is a heavy cold. Not terrible, but enough to stop me playing UKOPS. All had this since 24th December. All other things being equal, it is more likely that we have colds.

My wife has asked for a Test-told she has insufficient Covid symptoms to warrant a test. And told she is not required to self-isolate.

Fair enough, you might think. Until I mention what the NHS regard as irrelevant.
    My wife works at a school. She is in a work bubble of 11 people. On the last day of term, 1 of them tested positive. Since then, at least 6 more have tested positive, 4 of which since Xmas.

Next Monday, it seems likely my wife will return to school. There are plans to mass-test pupils and teachers, but not kitchen staff.

Covid is an infectious disease. If work contacts are deemed irrelevant, then it is no wonder that infection rates are rising.

My stepdaughter is also a teacher.
    The test and trace recently notified her that one of her contacts had tested positive.
    They notified her 8 days after the contact was made.
    They are really on the ball.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    edited December 2020
    Essexphil said:

Try signing up to the Covid -19 app by ZOE.
    If you are signed up and respond daily (only takes a few minutes) you get priority testing arrangements.

It is really useful and gives you up to date information in your area.

Also helps if everyone signed up.
  • Options