You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 question

pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
baggie3Small blind15.0015.002765.00
Dutyfree28Big blind30.0045.002625.00
Your hole cards
  • K
  • J
  • K
pompeynicCall30.0075.002900.00
countyRaise135.00210.003120.00
sehjal06Fold
patmac1947Fold
baggie3Call120.00330.002645.00
Dutyfree28Call105.00435.002520.00
pompeynicCall105.00540.002795.00
Flop
  • K
baggie3Check
Dutyfree28Check
pompeynicBet540.001080.002255.00
countyCall540.001620.002580.00
baggie3Call540.002160.002105.00
Dutyfree28Call540.002700.001980.00
Turn
baggie3All-in2105.004805.000.00
Dutyfree28Fold
pompeynicCall2105.006910.00150.00
countyAll-in2580.009490.000.00
pompeynicAll-in150.009640.000.00
countyUnmatched bet325.009315.00325.00
baggie3Show
  • K
  • A
pompeynicShow
  • K
  • J
  • K
countyShow
  • A
River
countyWin highFlush to the Ace4657.504982.50
baggie3Win low7-low4507.504507.50
countyWin low8-low150.005132.50
Many thanks to @mumsie for posting an instructional video a while back about how to post a hand. I am a technical dinosaur so this is my first go.
Early stages of a £5.50 PLO8 BH.
In a four way pot, flop brings me a set of kings but two spades and a potential low,which I do not have a chance of winning. Checked to me and I pot it, I want to build the pot in case a non spade high card hits on the turn and I can go all in to put max pressure on the draws. Plus always possible I can take it down right here, I get three callers. So I am fairly sure one or possibly two are on a low draw and someone is on a flush draw .Turn brings the flush and another low card. There is an all in and a fold in front of me, usually I would fold here. my DYM history telling me to preserve chips, but I have ten outs to get the full house or hit my quads and take the high and it is always possible , although unlikely, that the player still to act and the initial all in are both holding A2 and no flush which means I get half a big pot. I decide to go all in and am called behind as well. One has the nut low the other nut flush, river is a blank and I am out.
What do people think? is it too early to put my tournament life in jeopardy, or, forgetting the result is it the correct move?
As I said I would normally have folded here and it would be great to get others perspective.

Comments

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    I like the bet on the flop. Make them pay for their draws while you have the current nuts.
    I fold on the turn.
    Someone must have a low hand so that's half the pot gone.
    Highly likely that someone has the flush.
    So if you have 10 outs, that's about 20% chance of hitting and taking half the pot.
    Assuming if it is a 7,5 or 4 that nobody hits quads v your FH.
    Not good enough for me.

Others better than me may disagree.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Hi @dragon1964 , sorry don't know your first name.
    Many thanks for being my first contributor. As I said I too would normally fold here, however I have,on more than one occasion, seen others go all in and win in this situation. Amazing how many people just play for the low in this game.
    Whilst here may I also thank you for your lovely words on another thread of mine a while ago. They were a ray of light at a dark time.
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    Agree with dragon when that turn comes it should be a fold there is just too much got you beat. One player was always going to take the low but there was a flush/run on the go also. But to be fair i can understand why you called. PL08 can be so frustrating sometimes.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    My thoughts:
    1. I would have folded this hand pre-flop.
    2. Fold on the turn.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,276
    Thanks for posting Nic as flopping top set is one of the things I really dislike with PLO8.

Agree with the others, it's a fold pre and then, as played, a fold on the turn. Folding the turn still leaves you with 2/3rds starting stack, that's plenty.

Sometimes I will pot the flop and then get a run out like you got above, other times I will slow play and then you can pretty much guarantee the board will pair and I up making about 100 chips, of course that's not true but it is how it seems (negative reinforcement etc.) Without the flush draw AND straight draw AND low draw on the flop you are in a much better position but the 4 of spades is one of quite a few really bad turns as everything gets there. Against the players in this hand there is very little chance that you are good for the high after the turn and you have no chance of the low so you are paying 2105 to hit your cards for half of a 9640 pot, that's not worth your tourney life IMO.

If we get a K72 rainbow flop for example you are much stronger as it needs runner, runner for you to lose the high (assuming no one with a lower set quads up) and then you can barrel flop and turn to really put pressure on and/or get maximum from a lower set, someone who can't let 2 pair go, or those that are on a low only draw. I'd still not be surprised to see a 4,5 run out to lose the lot to A3xx, but he ho.

Good luck and I'll see you on the tables soon.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430

I'm not even convinced that we should be potting the flop. If we pot it & the board runs out high high no spades, great, but it rarely does, does it?

There are so many combos that can beat us, but the point is if the turn comes (almost) any low card they are freerolling us, as they can apply pressure & are at no risk. Once the flush complete on the turn we are toast unless we pair up.

We can play this completely different in a cash game or MTT, but in a DYM we gotta play it different.

PS - God bless county, the Albert Sapiani of online PLO8.
  • Options
    "We can play this completely different in a cash game or MTT, but in a DYM we gotta play it different"

@Tikay10
    But this is your favourite. A PLO8 BH.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430

"We can play this completely different in a cash game or MTT, but in a DYM we gotta play it different"

@Tikay10
    But this is your favourite. A PLO8 BH.

Lordy, my perfect nightmare, a PLO8 BH. It's like the result of an elephant & a giraffe mating.

I actually assumed it was a DYM.

I guess that changes the parameters, depending on what head value our opponents have.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    I feel I must agree with Tikay here, no need to barrel the flop with that board texture.
    Although I would suggest you would be facing a pot size bet by orig raiser.
    Fold turn, you’re hoping to hit to get half the pot.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Tikay10 said:

PS - God bless county, the Albert Sapiani of online PLO8.

Such a tough opponent, applies so much pressure when you want to see a cheap flop/turn/river 😊
    He deserved to win the £5 Hi Lo last night, but some luckbox decided to play A4C and hope for the best 😉

• Options
    Thanks guys, As I said I would normally have folded the turn, but, for some reason last night I was in the mood to hit the miracle river as seems to happen against us all the time. Of course it does not but we all think it does😉
    In the past I would not even have played the hand at all, but have played a few hands early in tournaments, as I see them played and won with by others. Might post a few more hands going forward now I know how.
  • Options
    TWRAMYEPTWRAMYEP Member Posts: 351
    The turn is a big mistake.
    Your calling for half the pot which your going to have to fill up most of the times to get anyway
  • Options
    Once we have called pre with KKJ8, which i don't like, we are surely hoping for a K high flop.
    When we hit it, do we just let everyone catch up cheaply?
    If we are not betting here, we should not be involved pre.
    And there's the answer,, I suppose.

I know there are some who like to chance it early to build a big stack so they can bully everyone and get the bounties.
    If it fails, at least they haven't wasted 2 hours for no return.
    It's just on to the next one.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,012
    Pre-flop. It's call or fold. Personally, i call.

Flop. It is min bet or half-pot. Because it is the turn that will be key here.

Turn. Fold. All day long. The only time that would be a call would be if you had less than 1000 chips left. You are risking 2100 chips. For a 20-25% chance of 3500-ish. With a player still to act.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Personally I would fold pre based on the hand and your position.

From a better position I would open raise, if you are going to play post flop with that hand then thin the field. It is not a drawing hand.

As played you flop the nuts but are so vulnerable in a multi way pot that you are damned if you do and damned if you dont bet. On balance I agree with Phil in building the pot, seeing if you can thin the field and leaving yourself plenty behind to get away if you don't like the turn.

Turn is a fold all day long.

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    VespaPX said:

My thoughts:
    1. I would have folded this hand pre-flop.
    2. Fold on the turn.

Agree with this - We're going to make a lot of non-nut, high-only hands, and the offsuit 8 is a dangler. I'd be okay with opening it from the button but I think just folding from most other seats is going to be the way to go.