You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Daily Question, Tuesday April 21st. Is the government handling the Covid crisis well, or badly?

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,597
    The lunatics are running the asylum.

Government departments have in my experience never been good at procurement. They talk the talk but always miss the point and can't see the wood for the trees.

PPE is a good example where we apparently rejected some gowns etc from China because they did not comply or have a certificate that they did not comply with our standards.

The standards were mostly to do with ensuring that children could not choke themselves on the garment ties.

This is a pandemic ffs. Can they not see the wood for the trees?
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    You can't blame the current PM and cabinet for a lack of preparedness, but that is down to 10 years of decline in public funding and seeing pandemic prep as a soft target for fund cutting by conservatives in Government.

Testing/tracing and containment was the approach that worked elsewhere, it wasn't an option for us as we didn't have the tests available.

Countries that had suffered under MERS/SARS were better prepared (e.g. South Korea/Japan)

Economically stronger countries that hadn't underfunded their health service were better prepared (e.g Germany).

I think we were slow to implement lockdown when we had time to and pondered too long on the idea that herd immunity might be the way to go.

Luckily for Boris, Trump is getting a lot of air time which by comparison make him look proper statesman like. He was also out of action when the PPE crisis was becoming most apparent.

Matt Hancock has looked out of his depth and I expect will go as the main "fall guy".

Politically I worry that Boris will come out of this rather well and much like Cameron did in the past he will talk up the NHS and people will believe him because of his experience. I just hope that unlike under Cameron and then May the Govt does not carry on with the cuts and privatisation that put us where we are today.

My other worry is for the mental health of the nation, NHS frontline services have clearly declined, but the Mental health provision has always been worse and I fear in the coming weeks and months that will become abundantly clear to many people.

Overall I would give our current management team 5/10 but say that our response as a whole only merits 2/10 because the best options were not available and that is down to their predecessors.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,067
    Mixed bag.

"Furloughing"? Superb 21st century solution, admittedly using an 18th Century word.
    Timing of lockdown? Time will tell. Possibly a bit late in relation to mass events, otherwise good.

Care homes? Hectoring of sections of the Community? Double standards? (Like people cannot sunbathe in a park, but we can fly plenty of Romanians in to pick crops)

5/10.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,387
    No one asked me to help in the fields.

I did a bit of farm work for a couple of months in 80s.

I remember finding a old Landrover behind the cow shed.

That was a discovery.

• Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    mumsie said:

That was a discovery.

@mumsie That really was a great find. It musta been brand new as they only started making them in 1989. ;-)
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,365

Ok I'm not going to get into a political debate.

Put simply, whatever Government was in power when this pandemic struck would have faced the same problems and criticism.

As far as PPE goes you could argue that the NHS has been left woefully under equipped by the current Powerholders, but I don't remember them getting any huge amount of funds / equipment etc for the years that Blair/ Brown were in power either.

Regarding the lockdown, I'm happier that it's the right rather than the left overseeing it. I dread to think what the looney Trotskyite civil liberty brigade would have done.

As for easing the restrictions, I'd rather be in lockdown too long than lift it too soon.

6/10

Its a bit like football. We all think we can / could do a better job than the coach / manager, but in reality we cant. Which is why were not in a position to do so.

Stay safe, stay sane

Tony Blair put just about the most money ever into the NHS.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,387
    edited April 2020
    Glenelg said:

mumsie said:

That was a discovery.

@mumsie That really was a great find. It musta been brand new as they only started making them in 1989. ;-)
    LOL.
    Funnily enough, i originally wrote, 1980 ..

Then a quick google check, to find 1989.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,082
    Overall I think the situation is being handled quite well given the scale of the problems being faced.Yes they've made mistakes but they've also implemented some good measures.There will always be individuals/organisations who won't pass up the opportunity to condemn the authorities for whatever decisions are made.A concern to me is how some of the big businesses have behaved and treated it's employees/customers during this time.Also the actions of some members of the public leaves a lot to be desired,so overall I'd rate the government 7/10. A bit more of this attitude would not go amiss either.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Nurse, 51, died alone in his flat while in quarantine after his calls to NHS 111 went unanswered and feared he contracted coronavirus from treating patient while not wearing PPE, his family say

The body of chemotherapy nurse Donald Suelto, 51, was found by police at his home in London on April 7 following concerns for his welfare. He had been in isolation with suspected Covid-19 symptoms.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,160
    I think @Phantom66 summed it up well.
    They were far too slow to act and too incompetent or uncaring to act properly subsequently, anyone thinking they are doing a good job needs to pull their head from the sand.
    The press are giving them far too easy a ride, when you have someone like Piers Morgan asking the most pertinent questions you know something is wrong.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,222
    HAYSIE said:

Nurse, 51, died alone in his flat while in quarantine after his calls to NHS 111 went unanswered and feared he contracted coronavirus from treating patient while not wearing PPE, his family say

The body of chemotherapy nurse Donald Suelto, 51, was found by police at his home in London on April 7 following concerns for his welfare. He had been in isolation with suspected Covid-19 symptoms.

Well thanks for another heartbreak story

I already refuse to watch the news or read the papers with the exception of the daily briefing because frankly I have no more tears left, my compassion is depleted and my heart breaks daily.

In fact I'm probably one sad song away from deep throating a shotgun.

Why don't I, well firstly I know that for every heartbreak there is a joyous victory. Yes courageous people are sacrificing their lives to save others and almost as a testament to that self sacrifice people are overcoming and recovering from this awful disease.

Secondly, I hang on to this from Romans 8 v38-39.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the past nor the future, nor any powers, neither height or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I shall continue to pray for you all.

Stay safe, stay sane

Mark

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Beastie Boys, Reading 1998.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,222
    SR23 said:

Beastie Boys, Reading 1998.

Bit random but hey," you gotta fight for your right. To Oatcakes"
  • Options
    edited April 2020

HAYSIE said:

Well thanks for another heartbreak story

I already refuse to watch the news or read the papers with the exception of the daily briefing because frankly I have no more tears left, my compassion is depleted and my heart breaks daily.

In fact I'm probably one sad song away from deep throating a shotgun.

Why don't I, well firstly I know that for every heartbreak there is a joyous victory. Yes courageous people are sacrificing their lives to save others and almost as a testament to that self sacrifice people are overcoming and recovering from this awful disease.

Secondly, I hang on to this from Romans 8 v38-39.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the past nor the future, nor any powers, neither height or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I shall continue to pray for you all.

Stay safe, stay sane

Mark

I think that one small post completely sums it up.
    A courageous person cut off in their prime, while helping others, and let down by a lack of protective equipment, and phones that were unanswered.
    Unfortunately he will be only one of many.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,032
    Not enough ex-military in the Government.
    They are the experts in planning and logistics.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    @HAYSIE

Great post.

@Tikay10

I hope it's a given that we should be doing better than Mumbai, Bangladesh and refugee camps. Our NHS, healthcare and frontline workers in all sectors have been horribly let down and suffered needlessly.

Especially considering the lengthy forewarning we had, from both China and our near neighbours in Europe, this government really need to be held accountable for their actions.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924
    JingleMa said:

@HAYSIE

Great post.

@Tikay10

I hope it's a given that we should be doing better than Mumbai, Bangladesh and refugee camps. Our NHS, healthcare and frontline workers in all sectors have been horribly let down and suffered needlessly.

Especially considering the lengthy forewarning we had, from both China and our near neighbours in Europe, this government really need to be held accountable for their actions.

@JingleMa

Well yes, but my point was, I suppose, spare a thought for those who are so much worse off than we are. If the virus were to take hold in those places, the death toll does not bear thinking about.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    Yes appreciate that Tikay.

Just want the negligence this government have shown towards ppe, frontline workers and the failure to shut down major events like Cheltenham, Crufts, Liverpool vs Atletico etc when all the evidence was already there from Italy and Spain to be accounted for.
  • Options