You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DYM - Shove or Min Raise / Calling with PP

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 933
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hey guys,

I thought I could start this discussion. Having played many millions of hands of poker over the years, I generally play by instinct and don't totally understand or apply the correct theory/mathematical optimums in certain spots.

So with that being said. What do you think are the pros and cons of either shoving or min raising in certain spots of a tournaments, however, more specifically in DYMs in the later stages. Or calling small stacks shoves in the earlier stages with a PP?

Let me try to create hypothetical hand situations for both these scenarios;

Hand 1:

On the bubble of a DYM

Blind Level 150/300

HERO: 1800 chips [D]
Player A: 4500 chips [SB]
Player B: 1200 chips [BB]
Player C: 4500 chips

A: Posts SB 150 / new stack 4350
B: Posts BB 300 / new stack 1050
C: Folds / stack 4500
HERO cards [ATs] ??

How would you proceed in this situation? All players are of equal/average ability with zero reads. Also, the blinds increase before HEROs next BB.

Hand 2:

2nd hand of a DYM with a full table

HERO: 2000 [BB]
Player A: 800
Player B: 2000
Player C: 3230
Player D: 1990 [D]
Player E: 1980 [SB]

A All-in 800
B folds
C folds
D folds
E folds
HERO cards [22] ??

Again, all players of equal/average abilty and there are zero reads. Although, villain has just lost the majority of his stack in the first/previous hand of the tournament. Would you call in this situation knowing it is almost certainly a coin flip, or would you fold to conserve your stack for stealing blinds in the later stages?

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Your examples look like easy decisions to me.

Hand1 with those stacks it's All-in from me. Should be willing to take on BB here or get free chips and especially discourage SB from coming along.

Hand 2 easy fold. You are flipping or miles behind let the 30 chips go and wait for a better spot which you should find plenty of after just 2 hands.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Quick reads as the hand history burns my eyes.

Hand 1 Shove
    Hand 2 Fold
  • Options
    IamAll_EnIamAll_En Member Posts: 45
    Shove, fold
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Phantom66 said:

Your examples look like easy decisions to me.

Hand1 with those stacks it's All-in from me. Should be willing to take on BB here or get free chips and especially discourage SB from coming along.

Hand 2 easy fold. You are flipping or miles behind let the 30 chips go and wait for a better spot which you should find plenty of after just 2 hands.

This.
  • Options
    Thanks guy. I appreciate the input.

I would likely play those hands as suggested.

Upon reflection, maybe my example hands were not really that 'marginal'. I am not good at expressing my thoughts into words sometimes. In future, I shall be sure to take a mental of note of some of the spots I am thinking of during play and share the hand history for some thought.

Good luck at the tables.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397

Upon reflection, maybe my example hands were not really that 'marginal'. I am not good at expressing my thoughts into words sometimes. In future, I shall be sure to take a mental of note of some of the spots I am thinking of during play and share the hand history for some thought.

Good luck at the tables.

Fire in some more DYM hands and I am sure you will get a good response on the whole.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Good luck at the tables.

Fire in some more DYM hands and I am sure you will get a good response on the whole.
    Thanks a lot. I shall keep that in mind. I have never really been one for discussing hand histories, however, I am eager to improve and that is certainly one way in doing so.
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    Dazzman WIth your 1st hand of ATs you only want to play against the 900 stack of shorty but big blind is in way , not alot you can do but shove prob best. 2nd hand with 2s its still early in the game and no point in doubling up a shorty stack who took a flip. the situation says that you are in a better position to cash and outlast this guy firstly and secondly being patient and waiting for your spot is a better strategy than letting it come down to luck by turning five cards. You should not be calling big amounts of bb;s with small pp22's to 66's in early stage of game. if you do then you are kind of putting yourself at a disadvantage of swapping stacks of big risk takers early in game. DYM's are a marathon not a sprint and you just need to last.
    Thanks
    Danny GL GL
  • Options
    mcglynn07 said:

Dazzman WIth your 1st hand of ATs you only want to play against the 900 stack of shorty but big blind is in way , not alot you can do but shove prob best. 2nd hand with 2s its still early in the game and no point in doubling up a shorty stack who took a flip. the situation says that you are in a better position to cash and outlast this guy firstly and secondly being patient and waiting for your spot is a better strategy than letting it come down to luck by turning five cards. You should not be calling big amounts of bb;s with small pp22's to 66's in early stage of game. if you do then you are kind of putting yourself at a disadvantage of swapping stacks of big risk takers early in game. DYM's are a marathon not a sprint and you just need to last.
    Thanks
    Danny GL GL

Thanks for the detailed response and advice. It makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Both really clear decisions.

If you used a junk hand as hero's holding in example 1 and something like 99 in example 2 it would have made for a better discussion.
  • Options
    gregkdy82 said:

Both really clear decisions.

If you used a junk hand as hero's holding in example 1 and something like 99 in example 2 it would have made for a better discussion.

Yes, you are correct. After posting this question, I realised how easy these particular hands were.

I was intending to create a more marginal situation for a bit of discussion. And your examples seem to be a lot better fit.

How would you play your examples?
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    In the first example my pushing range would depend on how I viewed the players on the blinds so is hard to say an exact range but would be pushing most hands here.

In the second example I would probably only call with Jack's or better