You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Mini UKOPS 5 - Is this a call

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Think i made a big mistake here - Not sure tho

Late in the game - 22 left - (Top 70+ paid)

My thinking was because the two shoves came from UTG and UTG+1 one of them had to be beating me

I have about 18bbs and 1 of them covered
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
MP33Small blind6000.006000.00215786.62
peanut22Big blind12000.0018000.00138341.12
Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q
All-in115609.00133609.000.00
xxxxAll-in106177.00239786.000.00
tom184Fold
CAESARTRIPFold
MP33Fold
peanut22Fold
xxxxUnmatched bet9432.00230354.009432.00
xxxxShow
xxxxShow
  • J
  • J
Flop
  • Q
  • A
Turn
  • Q
River
xxxxxWinTwo Pairs, Queens and Jacks230354.00230354.00

Comments

• MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    MP33 said:

My thinking was because the two shoves came from UTG and UTG+1 one of them had to be beating me

MP33Small blind6000.006000.00215786.62
    peanut22Big blind12000.0018000.00138341.12
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    All-in115609.00133609.000.00
    xxxxAll-in106177.00239786.000.00
    tom184Fold
    CAESARTRIPFold
    MP33Fold
    peanut22Fold
    xxxxUnmatched bet9432.00230354.009432.00
    xxxxShow
    xxxxShow
    • J
    • J
    Flop
    • Q
    • A
    Turn
    • Q
    River
    xxxxxWinTwo Pairs, Queens and Jacks230354.00230354.00
    Maybe me being tired but is this right?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,720
    edited May 2020
    @MP33 @MattBates

No, it's far from correct.

Maybe the sidepot means the HH does not come out as expected. The pot that involved MP33 was won by him with a boat, not "Two Pairs, Queens & Jacks".
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    MP33 said:

Looks like you had them both covered by quite a bit.

One of them was beating you, they both were! Think it’s a call here though for bounties.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2020
    Tikay10 said:

@MP33 @MattBates

Maybe the sidepot means the HH does not come out as expected. The pot that involved MP33 was won by him with a boat, not "Two Pairs, Queens & Jacks".

Was 2 all ins and he folded. It was the statement "I have about 18bbs and 1 of them covered" that I was querying.

I think we have to call here. I know its utg and utg+1 but not like they are getting in loads of bb. Is either looking at A10 or kq and folding? Even if we lose we still have a spinnable stack.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,720
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

@MP33 @MattBates

Was 2 all ins and he folded. It was the statement "I have about 18bbs and 1 of them covered" that I was querying.

I think we have to call here. I know its utg and utg+1 but not like they are getting in loads of bb. Is either looking at A10 or kq and folding? Even if we lose we still have a spinnable stack.
    @MattBates

Ahh, my bad, bit of a misread, sorry.
  • NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    edited May 2020
    Just going over my session in HRC and thought I'd plug this hand in too. Seemed like a fairly easy call to me.

Assuming the stack sizes are correct, since you say you only cover one but appear to cover both, then this is a reasonable call from a pure chipEV perspective.

Don't think you need to worry about the EP players being tight when they're under 10bb. Mr UTG could be jamming hands as bad as 22, A8, J9s, etc here and you're still ahead of a lot of the caller's range.
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    Cheers Guys - I was hoping someone would make me feel better and say it was a good fold

As @MattBates pointed out - I did have both covered - not just 1. (and WD on winning one of the UKOPS - i watched last few minutes HU)

Looking back now i think i bottled it - Its a leak i need to look at - spending hours building a stack and don,t want to go out - so i tighten up to much
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    NOSTRI said:

Just going over my session in HRC and thought I'd plug this hand in too. Seemed like a fairly easy call to me.

Assuming the stack sizes are correct, since you say you only cover one but appear to cover both, then this is a reasonable call from a pure chipEV perspective.

Don't think you need to worry about the EP players being tight when they're under 10bb. Mr UTG could be jamming hands as bad as 22, A8, J9s, etc here and you're still ahead of a lot of the caller's range.

Couple of questions regarding HRC if I may. I've only got the free version of ICMizer with the one free calc a day, so it's not ideal.

How much is HRC and do you recommend it? Did you manually assign the ranges for UTG and UTG+1 or does the software assign those ranges?
    waller02 said:

Couple of questions regarding HRC if I may. I've only got the free version of ICMizer with the one free calc a day, so it's not ideal.

How much is HRC and do you recommend it? Did you manually assign the ranges for UTG and UTG+1 or does the software assign those ranges?

It's $5-10/month depending on how much you're willing to pay upfront. It's cheaper than ICMIZER, which runs $8-18. ICMIZER is obviously a lot nicer looking but I find HRC much more intuitive to use and the UI more readable. ICMIZER is probably the most actively developed at this point though and has some nice quality of life features. I can't remember the last time HRC had a substantial update.

I decided to go for HRC primarily on the basis that they have a Mac app and it's nice to support Mac developers when none of the most useful poker tools have Mac apps.

Both apps automatically assign ranges based on equilibrium calculations but you can also modify them manually and re-run the sims or assign your own.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    NOSTRI said:

waller02 said:

It's $5-10/month depending on how much you're willing to pay upfront. It's cheaper than ICMIZER, which runs $8-18. ICMIZER is obviously a lot nicer looking but I find HRC much more intuitive to use and the UI more readable. ICMIZER is probably the most actively developed at this point though and has some nice quality of life features. I can't remember the last time HRC had a substantial update.

I decided to go for HRC primarily on the basis that they have a Mac app and it's nice to support Mac developers when none of the most useful poker tools have Mac apps.

Both apps automatically assign ranges based on equilibrium calculations but you can also modify them manually and re-run the sims or assign your own.
    Tell me Nozzer...will it stop me making dikhed calls?
    Only you have that power, I'm afraid.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    NOSTRI said:

Only you have that power, I'm afraid.

That will be no then...thanks nozzer! 👹
  • Bunksy88Bunksy88 Member Posts: 4
    MP33 said:

Cheers Guys - I was hoping someone would make me feel better and say it was a good fold

As @MattBates pointed out - I did have both covered - not just 1. (and WD on winning one of the UKOPS - i watched last few minutes HU)

Looking back now i think i bottled it - Its a leak i need to look at - spending hours building a stack and don,t want to go out - so i tighten up to much

New to the forum here - but you're not on your own! I've found myself doing this in recent weeks, I was looking at how many were left, pay-outs and waiting for big hands but in turn bleeding chips.

I see why you've done it - but as the more experienced guys above have put. I think you have to call with having the chips.
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited May 2020
    I was on the FT in a recent deepstake B/H on the BB with AQ. An UTG min-raise before me and a SB shove. I thought of this post and that I should call, but I couldn't bring myself to hit the call button.

In this case I was covered by both players, so I think that is a key difference as I could bust and cannot win any bounties. Plus laddering was worth a few quid.

Was that enough to make the fold correct?
    eddiesun26Small blind40000.0040000.00741728.60
    Phantom66Big blind80000.00120000.00647550.10
    Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A
    Taximan1Raise160000.00280000.002630880.95
    elvisg1972Fold
    RhettinihoFold
    superb00bFold
    eddiesun26All-in741728.601021728.600.00
    Phantom66Fold
    Taximan1Call621728.601643457.202009152.35
    eddiesun26Show
    • K
    • K
    Taximan1Show
    • A
    Flop
    • A
    Turn
    River
    Taximan1WinPair of Aces1643457.203652609.55
    Think you have a call here.

SB has <10bb so could be shoving stupidly wide. UTG will be opening a lot you're ahead of and calling very wide when there are two bounties to win. I think AQo is a pretty easy call when you stand to triple up.

It makes a difference that we don't cover anyone, so should call off a little tighter probably. But it makes more of a difference that UTG is going to call off with just about any two.

Presumably you're close to last so ICM isn't as much of a concern I don't think.
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    With 2 players all-in with similar stacks and no bounties available, I think I take the ladder with AQo there Phantom. Not sure what would be correct though.
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    MP33 I think this is a call you have to make.
    Pro's
    1) You cover both stacks who are sub 10bb.
    2) You still have a stack if you lose and you have to win your flips in tourneys and
    be very lucky.
    3) You would still have equity in the hand and you could take out two people and have a stack that could final table
    4) YOU have cashed and could make it a much bigger payday.
    Con's
    1) Poker player in you sees the Shove and snap call in front of you and sees extreme strength in these plays that AQs cant handle and must be behind. Its not always the way but when we have cashed sometimes we play more conservatively.
    2)Suddenly we have a 240K pot in front of us and our stack is 215K and we have both stacks covered and a very playable hand. Poker dictates that when the pots are at their biggest we should be trying our very hardest to win it but survival instincts swerve us the other way which is not the right mindset.

It is tough but at least you are looking back and seeing what could be different next time and what other options and thought processes are available to you.

Good luck
    Danny