You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Swog's MTT Diary

SwogSwog Member Posts: 482
edited July 2020 in Poker Chat
Hello All,

Many may have seen me on the MTT tables over the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd introduce myself and create a Forum Diary as I enter my 4th week of grinding. I don't expect this thread to be in any way interesting but it will certainly keep me focused on the tables. I will aim to update on progress once a week.

Introduction
I'm a 27 year old tax advisor living in Telford, Shropshire (originally from Widnes, Cheshire). Since graduating in Mathematics at The University of Manchester, I've been in and around finance roles until more recently I fell into a commercial property tax advisory role which I'm loving! I'm very much a numbers man, so poker has always been a natural interest to me. I've not really taken poker too seriously until recently in the hope that I can make a worthwhile side income. In truth, as long as I continue to enjoy playing poker anything above 0% ROI should be seen as positive.

Short and Long Term Goals
I will be aiming to play 5 evenings a week, but this may be affected by an imminent return to the office and with lockdown restrictions being lifted there will certainly be distractions where beer is concerned :#

I typically look to play a daily schedule that has an average buy in of no more than 1% of my current bankroll. So far, my first 2 weeks consisted of a mix £2.20 and £5.50 whereas week 3 saw a promotion to £11 tournaments (with some £2.20 tournaments being dropped from the schedule).

Starting bankroll = c.£150
Current bankroll = £694.53

If and when I reach a £1k bankroll, I would like to start withdrawing 10-20% of my weekly total buy in (irrespective of results) and a "commission" of profit in excess (if any). This will help me stay focused on volume, without becoming results orientated, whilst hopefully continuing to grow the bankroll with the view to progressing to £22+ MTTs before Christmas. The longer term goal would be to build a sufficient bankroll that could play any MTT schedule on Sky Poker, but there will certainly be a lot of hard work and studying before I get anywhere near that.

Outside of poker, I am currently saving towards a house deposit for my first home. Any withdrawal I make from Sky Poker will either go towards accelerating that house deposit process or to treat me and the missus (I think she will deserve something for her patience!)

Results (so far)

Week 1
MTT Played = 67
Total Buy Ins = £223.30
Avg BI = £3.33
Total Winnings = £602.33
Total Profit = £379.03
ROI% = 169.7%

Week 2
MTT Played = 82
Total Buy Ins = £325.90
Avg BI = £3.97
Total Winnings = £480.64
Total Profit = £154.74
ROI% = 47.5%

Week 3
MTT Played = 60
Total Buy Ins = £365.70
Avg BI = £6.10
Total Winnings = £385.84
Total Profit = £20.14
ROI% = 5.5%

Comments

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Hi Swog. Best of luck at the tables and with reaching your goals.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Day 1 of Week 4

My first daily schedule of week 4 as follows:

(those not highlighted may or may not be played)

Monday schedules are likely to be a slightly lower average buy in than a typical day due to the 3 FTT Tournaments that I like to play.

As an example of how a typical days results will look, please see below for Saturday 4th July:

MTT Played = 10
    Total Buy Ins = £60.20
    Avg BI = £6.02
    Total Winnings = £124.25
    Total Profit = £64.05
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

Hi Swog. Best of luck at the tables and with reaching your goals.

Thanks Myna, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    Results 06/07/2020:

We ran well in a couple of tournaments but ran into trouble when it mattered close to the bubble. We did take 13th and 15th place finishes in two of the FTT tournaments, so fingers crossed that qualifies for something.

MTT Played = 10
    Total Buy Ins = £55.60
    Avg BI = £4.63
    Total Winnings = £26.91
    Total Profit = -£28.69

Start Bankroll = c.£150
    Current Bankroll = £668.14

We are likely to be on tomorrow to chase the dragon again :smile:
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2020
    Spreadsheet format looks very nice!

Do you use formulas for the Avg BI/Sums etc?

Something to play with, my spreadsheet is basic to say the least. :)

GL at the tables and enjoy the diarying!

Cammy

• Options
    Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Thanks Cammy

Yes, I use pivot tables, SumIfs, CountIfs, etc within the spreadsheet.

It's probably a little bit overkill, and a basic spreadsheet would be fine. The important thing is playing good poker on the tables :smiley:

Having said that, I'd be happy to share my spreadsheet with you, if it helps you with ideas, etc :)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We go into Day 2 of week 4 with the following schedule:

(again those not highlighted may or not be played subject to how deep I run the others)

I have dropped a couple of turbos from the schedule (7 at 7 and the Reload Rebuy BH) and brought back some slower paced £2.20s.

Total Buy Ins = £55
    Avg BI (Inc. Freerolls) = £3.93
    Avg BI (not Inc. Freerolls) = £5.00

Good luck on the tables :)
  • Options
    Swog said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Thanks Cammy

Yes, I use pivot tables, SumIfs, CountIfs, etc within the spreadsheet.

It's probably a little bit overkill, and a basic spreadsheet would be fine. The important thing is playing good poker on the tables :smiley:

Having said that, I'd be happy to share my spreadsheet with you, if it helps you with ideas, etc :)
    As a tax advisor is it overkill enough ;)

Had a semi-fruitful time in IT for about 10 years so with my background type I may "have a play with it 1st" :)

Cammy
  • Options
    cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    Very best of luck with this. Having a quick look at your schedule, I'm sure we will run into each other on the tables soon :)
  • Options
    lfccarllfccarl Member Posts: 1,489
    best of luck swog
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good luck with this Swog, I'll be following.

I must commend your level of planning and organisation with regards to your sessions. The first word that tends to come out of my mouth after logging in to the Sky client is "err", so perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book for some more consistency!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Thank you for the best wishes, all.

Week 4 did not get off to a good start; being £124 down I decided to take Friday off! It so happened to be my girlfriend's birthday too!

It must have done the world of good as Saturday was my 3rd best session since starting the grind a month ago.

Day 5, Week 4 Session Results (11/07/2020):

6 ITMs, 3 FTs, and 1 Win saw me recoup some of the week's losses and one of my best sessions for a while. It can be really demoralising whilst going through a short downswing, but the day off seems to have really helped focus myself on tonight's session.

MTT Played = 13
    Total Buy Ins = £62.70
    Avg BI = £4.82
    Total Winnings = £166.47
    Total Profit = +103.77

Week 4 Results (w/c 6th July 2020):

I did say that I would stick to poker 5 days a week, so I am going to force myself to stay off the tables tomorrow. Even though I do like to play the Major Mini.

MTT Played = 65
    Total Buy Ins = £286.83
    Avg BI = £4.41
    Total Winnings = £266.27
    Total Profit = -£20.56

Results so far:

Start Bankroll = c.£80
    Current Bankroll = £675.40
  • Options
    That's a cracking session Swog, well done. It is always nice when you can nip those downturns in the bud before they turn into legitimate downswings, not only for the bankroll but for the confidence and motivation levels too.

Nice progress.
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

That's a cracking session Swog, well done. It is always nice when you can nip those downturns in the bud before they turn into legitimate downswings, not only for the bankroll but for the confidence and motivation levels too.

Nice progress.

Thanks @MynaFrett. How did you fare last night?

It was really nice to share the latter stages of the Mega Stack with you (I think it was the Mega Stack anyway). I recall it being a fairly tough couple of final tables!

I don’t have that much experience on the tables (I think I’m <500 MTTs lifetime), so those experiences tend to be an eye-opener!

I would have been forced to drop the £11s had last night’s session followed recent trend in order to keep the Avg BI with 1% of Bankroll; which would have been a real shame given the playing experiences in tougher fields.

• Options
    Yea, it was the Mega Stack. I ended up 4th and was a bit disappointed at the time but it did contribute to a decently profitable session (not as decent as yours, mind) so can't be too down about it.

I see what you mean about the potential negative consequences of having to drop the £11 games. I actually made the decision about a year ago that I was going to take the maximum volume minimum ABI approach and so decided to drop anything over a $7.50 buy-in. This reduces the amount of time/likelihood of sharing tables with multiple good players but that lack of regular sparring with competent players could well have a negative impact on mine/yours/anyone's game.
  • Options
    As an update, we did in fact take Sunday off to enjoy some lovely weather for the first time in a while!

Week 5 Day 1 (13/07/2020)

Week 5 got off to a good start with deep runs in FTT1 and FTT3; finishing 11th and 1st respectively. This is our second tournament win in as many sessions.

We dropped the £11 BIs for the first time in a while, as I felt shot taking and multitabling may not be a good combination. This is not saying they're off the schedule completely, but if I'm at max capacity in terms of tables, I'm likely to decline the higher stake buy ins.

I also decided to withdraw some of my bankroll and hold it within a recently-opened easy access savings account, rather than leave it all on Sky. For the purposes of this thread: current bankroll = money in savings + money on Sky.

MTT Played = 11
    Total Buy Ins = £33.60 (lowest for a long time!)
    Avg BI = £3.05
    Total Winnings = £79.80
    Total Profit = +46.20

Start Bankroll = £82.90
    Current Bankroll = £723.90
  • Options
    Great work in 5 weeks.....
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We managed to make 5 days at the tables, albeit at reduced volume. I am now in the office 3/4 days a week and grinding the poker 5 days a week might be difficult going forward.

Week 5 Results (w/c 13th July 2020):

We started the week well with a FTT2 win and the 2nd place token awards for the week. We had a really tough end to the week. However, in our final tournament of the week we were left with 1BB and had already written up my 6th placed finish for £17 and an overall loss for the week.

We then entered god mode and took down the tournament for £82!!

MTT Played = 47
    Total Buy Ins = £164.20
    Avg BI = £3.49
    Total Winnings = £192.59
    Total Profit = +£28.39

Results so far:

Start Bankroll = c.£80
    Current Bankroll = £702.79
  • Options
    Figures looking very healthy. The AVG BI and ROI is most pleasing :smiley:

Very nice work Swog.
  • Options
    Thanks @Cammykaze for your kind words! It is really appreciated!

I have dropped the £11s from the schedule last week but hopefully bring them back in the not so distant future.

How is your poker going at the moment?