You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Standard £750/£1000 £22 BH Tournament shove?

CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
edited August 2020 in The Poker Clinic
Normally play the £5/£10 BHs and satted into this one. Looking for opinions on the shove. Standard stuff at this level?

Comments

• mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    CammyKaze At least you have an ace and you have to be active in these when the blinds start getting higher. It looks like you are getting to that stage when doubling up would be beneficial. You cant always wait for the pairs and the nutted hands. As long as you're image is good then you can probably go for it.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Was quite tight and looking for positions where being more aggressive pre-flop is right.

This did feel borderline at the time as I only know opponent as a good regular.

• tonyp142tonyp142 Member Posts: 33
    Hey Cammy. Think this is an interesting spot and there are lots of options.

I think I would find a fold here pre flop due to not loving any of the other options.

Why I would talk myself out of a shove!
    - Cabbaz is not very deep himself. I'd guess his raising range over a limp is going to be considerably stronger than if he did this in level 1 of the tournament with 100bb. At the start of a tournament he could do this with 55 or 98s but I'd take a lot of these hands out of his range at this stack depth. This is probably the biggest takeaway from the hand and narrows his range considerably.
    Why you could talk yourself into a shove.
    - it only really has to get past Cabbaz to work and you'll increase your chips by a third when you do. (Occasionally the sb or the first limper will sigh call with a hand like 22-77 or KQ etc but we're in okay enough shape against this and could win their bounties anyway)
    - AJo also blocks 1/2 his combos of aces and 1/4 of his combos of AK, AQ which he would call you with.
    - You cover him and can win a bounty meaning you can get it in behind and still be profitable.

Other options available.
    3-bet non all in and fold to his shove. This would look very strong and probably has a similar reward with a lower risk. He may fold the same hands to this raise as he would to a shove and you save losing your whole stack when he has the top of his range.

Calling. You will be out of position vs four players at an awkward stack depth. There will be better spots that come up than this. You currently cover all the stacks but losing a small pot here could drop you to third in chips which matters. (If you dropped to third in chips and the next hand got dealt aces against another players kings you'd miss a bounty and be kicking yourself!)

Alex

• CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for your feedback.

I guess AQ is a shove and I am gathering AJ is very borderline from your side of things?

Great breakdown on the options as well. Will have a think on them :)