You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DILLIAN WHYTE VS ALEXANDER POVETKIN

CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
Weigh-in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jO4o8dGqmo

Not sure how many boxing fans are in the forums however there is a HW Title Eliminator later.

First thoughts are how small Povetkin looks. Weighing in at 16st I would say is very light for him.

D Whyte on the other hand is looking great. Based on this and without looking at the odds I would be shocked to see a Povetkin win. D Whyte will be hungry as he has been publically marginalised in the HW division and is in the top 3/4 at the moment imo.

Think he could give Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua a good fight.

Great time for British HW boxing. Lets hope he does the business and gets his shot which would be richly deserved given the ugly politics in the boxing world.

Povetkin is no slouch, only two losses on this record to Joshua and Klitschko however he is 41 now I believe while Whyte is 31 or so. Age should show here and hunger will win over experience.

Looking forward to see how Whyte performs.

Comments

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Should be a great fight. Dillian needs to win this to then face Fury or wilder and Povetkin needs to win this to relight his career. I think it will be a close fight.

I do think whyte will win though. But Povetkin wont go down without a very good fight.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Povetkin is a good test for Whyte and is the right opponent to see where Dillian is at.

It's great match-making.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I want to know what @kapowblamz recommends betting on.

I quite fancy sticking some on Povetkin and a few rounds to win. If i was doing rounds it would be rounds 7-9, 8-10 or something similar.
  • Options
    Can't rule out Povetkin, he is vastly experienced and a good operator. The best of the rest.

Still shocked at how light looking he is. Looks about a stone minimum too light to me. Maybe he is looking at speed for this fight, not looked much into the camps or build up.

If I was a betting man would be looking for a fast start for Whyte however can't see Povetkin getting KO'd early. Povetkin is a tough nut to crack and a stayer so would look at later rounds for Whyte to take him or a UD.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,038
    edited August 2020
    Whyte was quite poor in his last fight but I think that was more to do with the standard of the other fighter as he was always doing enough to win the fight.

My money would be on a Whyte KO tonight, late in the fight.

As far as where Whyte stands in the heavyweight division, I think Fury would wipe the floor with him but a rematch with Joshua would be very interesting as he is a far better fighter than he was when they first met.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,539
    I think Whyte by knockout.

Statistically 40 year olds do really really bad against 32 year olds. Whyte is basically in his absolute prime. There's a good chance Whyte just pounds the **** out of him, or he might wait for Povetkin to gas a bit and then bring down the hammer.

If I had to pull the trigger I'd say Whyte 7,8,9.

That said, I'm not betting it.
  • Options
    Whyte price is steaming. It's looking like a lock. I hope someone got a good price earlier, if you picked him.
  • Options
    Taylor lost that fight, again. Given the decision, again. How one judge can have her winning by 5 rounds is ridiculous. It's the only fault with boxing, there is always the risk of some really poor decisions (a bit like my poker).
  • Options
    Her opponent took it so well. Almost too well.

Can't trust the judges, its a dirty sport in a lot of ways. Went off boxing for a few years because of it.
  • Options
    3 rounds in. 3 to Dillian I reckon.

Very good performance so far. Povetkin looked to have had a big deep breathe coming out for the 4th.

Very impressed with Whyte so far.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

3 rounds in. 3 to Dillian I reckon.

Very good performance so far. Povetkin looked to have had a big deep breathe coming out for the 4th.

Very impressed with Whyte so far.

Lights out
  • Options
    OMG!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

OMG!!!!!!!!

I was literally saying the same to my mate. Give Whyte his title shot, Povetkin should retire, too old etc. Then bang, goodnight.

Mugged us both off haha.
  • Options
    That was a punch from the gods. Where the **** did that come from?

Povetkin looked done at the end of the 4th round and looked like he would be lucky to last a round or 2. Can't believe that!
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

That was a punch from the gods. Where the **** did that come from?

Povetkin looked done at the end of the 4th round and looked like he would be lucky to last a round or 2. Can't believe that!

That's heavyweight boxing
  • Options
    That was ridiculous. Price on Povetkin was through the roof going into that round and then boom. I was feeling terrible for not betting it and then that happens.
  • Options
    Always a chance of that I guess.

Had overlooked Povetkin a bit. Lesser fighters would have thrown in the towel and gave up at end of the 4th.

Povetkin can't fighter Tyson or Joshua so it's a rematch at the end of the year more than likely.

If Whyte loses again then it's hard to see him fighting one of the big two at any point. I do think Whyte moves on from this with some reflection and wins the rematch.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Cammykaze said:

OMG!!!!!!!!

I was literally saying the same to my mate. Give Whyte his title shot, Povetkin should retire, too old etc. Then bang, goodnight.

Mugged us both off haha.
    That's why the heavyweight division is the king of the divisions. Felt for Whyte after such a masterful display in the previous rounds. Looked so comfortable as well.

Just coming to now :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2020

That was ridiculous. Price on Povetkin was through the roof going into that round and then boom. I was feeling terrible for not betting it and then that happens.

What was the price then? I wanted to look but didn't get chance.
  • Options
    At one point you could get 35/1. It was probably a lot higher at times.

Apparently they will fight again before the end of the year.