You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

US Open sensation - Djokovic disqualified

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119

Comments

• Options
  • Options

She went down better than Neymar.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    To rule disqualification is ridiculous. He was apologizing almost before it hit her.

I think a better ruling would of been to disqualify the line judge for wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    If memory serves me, a very young Tim Henman did the same thing at Wimbledon, and was also disqualified.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Should have used a challenge and let Hawkeye take a look
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited September 2020
    Was poor from the lineswoman. Not sure why she felt the need to make a bigger thing out of it than it already was

Looking at the reporting comments it's an auto default anyway. And the Oscar doesn't go to ....... :sweat_smile:

• Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Very disappointing that all the camera angles missed the ball actually hitting her in the face.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    Right decision for me.

The overhead camera angle shows better that he hit the ball reasonably hard & if it catches you on the throat/face unexpectedly, you'll know about it.

You just can't do what he did & he's only got himself to blame.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Suppose he was unlucky. It could have snowed instead.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    edited September 2020
    A bit surprised by the people insinuating that the line judge made a meal of it. She got hit in the throat when she least expected it, what is she supposed to do?

Just 5 minutes earlier he had shown similar petulance, perhaps if he had received a warning that time then this incident could have been avoided.

Is the disqualification harsh? Maybe, but at least it sends out a message to the rest of the players.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
  • Options
    Kygrios on Djokovic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXGhBYPqYE

Starting from 3.52 :lol:

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Getting hit in the throat by a tennis ball is not a nice experience. I've not had it but I've been on court when one of the other players was hit, he really struggled to breath for a while. Hitting a ball in anger that hits a court official is automatic disqualification, it shouldn't have taken as long to disqualify him as it did to be honest.

As a follow on apparently the lady who was hit has apparently received threats and trolling including people hoping that she soon joins her son who died in an accident a few years ago! What is the world coming to?
  • Options
    Watching the high/lowlights of the incident it did seem she was "over-egging it". Like the rest of us it's a quick judgement and sometimes not the right one so this could be seen as cruel.

The whole thing went on too long, the debating from Djokovic and the lineswoman. Disqualify him with no debate and take her off the court if she is in bother. It did look like she was playing for the cameras a little from what I saw.

The trolling and threats are disgraceful of course.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,447
    It looked more careless than malicious.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

I like the idea of instant justice (if only Football followed suit) & I won't shed any tears for him. But what troubles me is that it was most definitely NOT intentional - he was not even facing that way. He just sort of flicked the ball backwards & never even knew it had hit the linesman until she gave her Oscar winning performance.
  • Options
    Was careless and the rules were followed to the letter.

It's the aftermath is what makes it worse. Djokovic humbled himself by apologising in video, on a personal account and likely in interview.

A quick apology to the lady in person, making sure she is ok and moving on seems appropriate here.

I understand sportspeople are looked up to however the public shaming whenever they show a human side by making an error of judgement is more concerning.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

I like the idea of instant justice (if only Football followed suit) & I won't shed any tears for him. But what troubles me is that it was most definitely NOT intentional - he was not even facing that way. He just sort of flicked the ball backwards & never even knew it had hit the linesman until she gave her Oscar winning performance.
    Give him 10 attempts, a million quid for each time he could repeat the shot, and I am certain your money would be safe.

Doubt if you could get a job as a line judge if you insisted on a guarantee that you would never be hit by a ball.

It was probably unfortunate that the ball hit her in the throat, that it was a woman, and that she turned out to be a drama queen.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Line judges get hit by the ball all the time, it goes with the job. What they don't expect is to get hit by a ball out of nowhere hit in anger. The picture I have seen of her seems to show she is genuinely struggling and probably a little in shock. Striking someone in the throat is one of the most effective techniques taught in self defence.

Remember a few years ago Denis Shapovalov nearly cost the umpire his sight in one eye and his career with a ball struck in anger, he was defaulted from the Davis Cup tie immediately. Again not intentional.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Line judges get hit by the ball all the time, it goes with the job. What they don't expect is to get hit by a ball out of nowhere hit in anger. The picture I have seen of her seems to show she is genuinely struggling and probably a little in shock. Striking someone in the throat is one of the most effective techniques taught in self defence.

Remember a few years ago Denis Shapovalov nearly cost the umpire his sight in one eye and his career with a ball struck in anger, he was defaulted from the Davis Cup tie immediately. Again not intentional.

I just didnt see any anger in the way he hit the ball.