You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Midweek sport, in words & photos

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,787

The weekend version of this was well received & generated some debate - exactly what this forum desperately needs - so I thought I'd give a midweek version a bash.

I chose a bad week to trial it as there's not a deal been happening, but the worst that can happen is nobody reads it or replies, & I guess I can live with that.

Off we go then.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,787

Nothing amuses & annoys in equal measure as armchair jockeys talking through their pocket after their so called "hot tip" just got beat. In many cases these armchair jockeys are middle aged, overweight & have never sat on a racehorse in their life, & yet they have the temerity & gall to judge professional jockeys, many of whom have thousands of wins to their credit.

You need to be seriously brave to be a jockey, when things go wrong they can go wrong very quickly & very badly. At Windsor on Monday Saffie Osbourne - daughter of Jamie Osbourne - was involved in a horrific fall at Windsor. Saffie is just 18 years old & weighs about 6 stone wringing wet.

The old cliche "kicked around like a rag doll" was never more fitting. Have a look for yourself at the race replay, it's around 25 seconds in;

https://www.attheraces.com/atrplayer-popup/VOD/1167895

She later Tweeted.....

Whilst we are on horse racing, one of my earliest memories of Cheltenham is the Sun Alliance Novices Chase which adopted that name in the early seventies. It's had a bunch of different names since, & now Sun Alliance (RSA more correctly these days) have pulled their sponsorship & it will get a new name. For me though it will always be the Sun Alliance, and no race at Prestbury Park was more exciting.

A list of Sun Alliance winners is a Who's Who of NH Racing - here's Bobs Worth, who went on to win a Cheltenham Gold Cup.

The greed of the Premier League truly knows no bounds.

In these difficult times for all of us they now have the affront to offer any Premier Leaguer game for "just £17.95".

The first game available under this "great offer" was Burnley & West Brom, on Monday. Karma was in fine form, as the match ended 0-0, the very first 0-0 draw in the Premier League this season.

Of course, there are some folks who actually enjoyed it. Perverts.

I enjoy watching Mesut Ozil do his thing for Arsenal, but he's not played since around March, & now he's been omitted from the Squad, so that's that, no more Ozil for the foreseeable & he will have to sit out the season playing for the stiffs.

He's got himself a curly lip of course & has been crying to the tabloids that it's all so unfair.

Meanwhile, he continues to draw his wages of around £300,000 per week. Not sure I can shed too many tears for him. £300,000 per week, can you even begin to imagine?

In Major League Baseball the World Series is currently under way.

As always, it's a best of 7, so up to 7 games will be played, each of them up to 4 hours long. Imagine having to watch 4 hour versions of Burnley v West Brom 7 times. The mind truly boggles.

This year it's between Tampa Bay & LA Dodgers & it currently stands at one game apiece.

In Game One there was an astounding double play, though I'm not convinced Victor Gonzalez knew much about the catch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzejr8AT920

The Weber Cup has been on TV - it's the Tenpin Bowling version of the Ryder Cup, one of those Matchroom made for TV things.

The big personality from the USA team is Kyle Troup. Pretty sure he's the same bloke who does The Joy of Painting.

• gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    People actually watch bowling on TV? wow

Go Rays. Would be some achievement if they won. No way should they even be the making playoffs. They have a tiny budget compared to big two in the AL East. Their .667 record in regular season was remarkable despite it only being 60 games.

I am sitting here waiting on the report of Celtics champions league game you promised @Tikay10 😂
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,004
    Tikay10 said:

I enjoy watching Mesut Ozil do his thing for Arsenal, but he's not played since around March, & now he's been omitted from the Squad, so that's that, no more Ozil for the foreseeable & he will have to sit out the season playing for the stiffs.

He's got himself a curly lip of course & has been crying to the tabloids that it's all so unfair.

Meanwhile, he continues to draw his wages of around £300,000 per week. Not sure I can shed too many tears for him. £300,000 per week, can you even begin to imagine?

Not to mention the £8 million loyalty bonus he picked up last month,nice work if you can get it.
    gregkdy82 said:

People actually watch bowling on TV? wow

Go Rays. Would be some achievement if they won. No way should they even be the making playoffs. They have a tiny budget compared to big two in the AL East. Their .667 record in regular season was remarkable despite it only being 60 games.

I am sitting here waiting on the report of Celtics champions league game you promised @Tikay10 😂

@gregkdy82

Behave, Celtic are the featured Team in today's Forum Comp.

I had planned a spoof review of a Scottish game this week just for you but so far there's only been one game, Aberdeen v Somebody & it all looked rather academical.

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    That horse racing incident looks horrible. She's lucky to be alive. It's always a nasty one when someone comes off in the middle of a group like that. Best wishes to her.
  • edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
    I used to hear constant moaning about jockeys from customers in betting shops over the years. Some day I would have loved to have strapped some of them to a race horse, and smacked it's hind quarters.

Thought the Premier League games would be £9.99 tops. Little wonder people put up with a bit of buffering, and watch on moody streams.

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Was only ever on a horse once, It was at Troon shore, never had a saddle hangin on to it's mane for dear life was shitin ma self, really scary.