You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fame.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,508
'Fame is a sweet poison you drink of first in eager gulps. Then you come to loathe it.': Richard Burton's warning to a young Gabriel Byrne before he fell into vortex of drink and depression

It was unmistakably him. On the adjoining balcony of my Venice hotel, a large glass of amber liquid in his hand, stood Richard Burton.(inset) Jaysus. 'Mr Burton,' I said. 'Richard,' he said. From him I (pictured left Gabriel Byrne) would learn the meaning of fame. The following day, an explosion of cameras flashed on the quayside. Photographers from all over the world jostled each other to capture the actor's every move. They fell over each other, and one across the bonnet of a moving car. 'Richard!' they shouted. 'This way! Look here, Rich! Is it true you're getting back with Liz?' He was helped into a gondola, where I sat nervously waiting to rehearse our scene together. It wasn't much of a part, in truth. My role was that of Karl Ritter, patron of the composer Wagner, in a made-for-TV mini-series. It was just ten lines, but it was money and I was broke. Out of the past 18 months, I had been unemployed for 17. Richard was playing Wagner.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901039/Richard-Burton-told-Gabriel-Byrne-fame-sweet-poison-fell-drink-depression.html