You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

2 power cuts in my area cost me about £120. Do I not get any compensation? :(

AerionzAerionz Member Posts: 84
edited November 2020 in Community Help & Advice
Power cuts hardly ever happen but now there have been 2 in my area tonight and they've ruined my session, costing me about £120 in buy ins. I know the usual answer is "no we do not refund issues on your end" but this is a regional power outage, not exactly my fault! And £120 is a lot.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,618

@Aerionz

That's very unfortunate. Have you tried asking your power provider? They are to blame, after all.
  • AerionzAerionz Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2020
    @Tikay10 they apologised for the inconveience, thats it. power cuts are very rare. and its happened now so not a lot i can do.

its a real kick in the teeth to lose £120 from something completely out of your control, and get zero refund or sympathy :(

Yes, its a nasty one. I can give you some sympathy, but I'm not sure that helps much.
    @Tikay10 thanks, it helps a bit :) just wish sky poker offered some form of compensation. maybe like a free bet. imagine if someone lost their whole bankroll like this, and the response would still be the same "sorry we don't refund for issues on your end". :(
  • PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    When was your powercut?
    Aerionz said:

@Tikay10 thanks, it helps a bit :) just wish sky poker offered some form of compensation. maybe like a free bet. imagine if someone lost their whole bankroll like this, and the response would still be the same "sorry we don't refund for issues on your end". :(

@Aerionz

Well nobody should have their whole 'roll on the table in these days of Responsible Gambling, so I don't think that kite flies.

You could contact CC & see what they say, but I can't imagine any circumstance where they would refund £120 for a power cut. Once word got out think how many others would pile in.
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Aerionz said:

Power cuts hardly ever happen but now there have been 2 in my area tonight and they've ruined my session, costing me about £120 in buy ins. I know the usual answer is "no we do not refund issues on your end" but this is a regional power outage, not exactly my fault! And £120 is a lot.

Been there with power cuts (and Wi-Fi outages) in the past. Sucks when it happens to anyone, but you're not the first and you won't be the last.

"Go speak to your energy provider" is the line in these spots, but unfortunately they're useless - Inevitably the person on the other end of the line has no understanding of someone being able to make money gambling, or they'll tell you "We can't refund money that you might have lost anyway". It's still worth trying, especially if everyone working from home has changed energy/internet providers' attitudes to compensating customers losing money as a direct result of any outages, but you'll probably still get mugged off somehow.

IMO all you can do is be prepared as well as possible for when something like this happens, so that you are able to reduce the damage. Being sat back in within 5 minutes while other players blind out is just another edge you can give yourself.

I recommend having the following:
    - Spare laptop (assuming you're grinding on a PC)
    - Phone with Wi-Fi hotspot capability
    - Portable phone charger which stores at least two full phone battery charges (i.e. not the £1 portable chargers you can pick up in Poundland)

Simply make sure you've got your laptop & backup phone charger ready to go at all times, and connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot at least once before you actually need to use it in an emergency so that everything auto-connects.

If you don't have a laptop already, then it's expensive for something that you're probably not going to use much. But you don't need many power cuts/Wi-Fi dropouts before it pays for itself (particularly if your ISP likes doing scheduled maintenance at 1am on a Tuesday without telling you about it, just as you reach the final table of a main event!), and it's always there if your regular grind computer ever decides it doesn't want to work any more.
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Tikay10 said:

I can't imagine any circumstance where they would refund £120 for a power cut. Once word got out think how many others would pile in.

I'd definitely be asking about that one time my Wi-Fi dropped out in 2013 and Customer Care told me to GTFO.
    Tikay10 said:

Aerionz said:

@Aerionz

Well nobody should have their whole 'roll on the table in these days of Responsible Gambling, so I don't think that kite flies.

You could contact CC & see what they say, but I can't imagine any circumstance where they would refund £120 for a power cut. Once word got out think how many others would pile in.
    thanks. i wouldn't tell anyone the details of anything that i talked about with cc, never have done. do you know of a phone number or live chat i can contact? preferably a phone number
    EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

I can't imagine any circumstance where they would refund £120 for a power cut. Once word got out think how many others would pile in.

I'd definitely be asking about that one time my Wi-Fi dropped out in 2013 and Customer Care told me to GTFO.
    thanks for the advice. disconnections and power cuts have probably cost me £300-£400 this year. that's just in buy ins, not including what i might have won if i had stayed in the tournaments. the worst part is no where refunds anything. it's just "tough, deal with it".

what did customer care tell you in 2013?
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

thanks for the advice. disconnections and power cuts have probably cost me £300-£400 this year. that's just in buy ins, not including what i might have won if i had stayed in the tournaments. the worst part is no where refunds anything. it's just "tough, deal with it".

Seems like the issue is at your end. I am sure everyone understands the frustration but I don't see why sky should be compensating when they provide the service they were meant to. If there was an issue at sky's end then I understand wanting compensation from them. It seems your frustration is aimed at the wrong party.
    edited November 2020
    MattBates said:

Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

Seems like the issue is at your end. I am sure everyone understands the frustration but I don't see why sky should be compensating when they provide the service they were meant to. If there was an issue at sky's end then I understand wanting compensation from them. It seems your frustration is aimed at the wrong party.
    thanks. do you think i should be contacting the electricity company and asking for compensation from them?
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,156
    edited November 2020
    Aerionz said:

MattBates said:

Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

thanks. do you think i should be contacting the electricity company and asking for compensation from them?
    I think they're the only place you are going to get any sort of compensation from. After all, it was down to the Power Cut that you lost money. If you had lost a freezer full of food, I'm pretty sure you could claim off them.
    However, I'm sure they will have something in their T's&C's that helps them wriggle out of paying any compensation......... but you can but try

GOOD LUCK :)
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,971
    Their Ts & Cs will exclude liability for this, I'm afraid.

No harm in contacting your electricity supplier, but your chances are somewhere between slim and nil.
    MISTY4ME said:

Aerionz said:

MattBates said:

Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

I think they're the only place you are going to get any sort of compensation from. After all, it was down to the Power Cut that you lost money. If you had lost a freezer full of food, I'm pretty sure you could claim off them.
    However, I'm sure they will have something in their T's&C's that helps them wriggle out of paying any compensation......... but you can but try

@MISTY4ME @Aerionz

If the power cut caused the loss of all the food in the freezer you would not dream of expecting compo from the supermarket who sold it to you, but that's effectively the same as asking Sky Poker for compo.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,156
    Tikay10 said:

MISTY4ME said:

Aerionz said:

MattBates said:

Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

@MISTY4ME @Aerionz

If the power cut caused the loss of all the food in the freezer you would not dream of expecting compo from the supermarket who sold it to you, but that's effectively the same as asking Sky Poker for compo.
    Exactly.

I was referring to the electric Company @Tikay10 , but as 'My Learned Friend' points out, it will be nigh on impossible
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    MISTY4ME said:

Tikay10 said:

MISTY4ME said:

Aerionz said:

MattBates said:

Aerionz said:

EvilPingu said:

Tikay10 said:

@MISTY4ME @Aerionz

Exactly.

I was referring to the electric Company @Tikay10 , but as 'My Learned Friend' points out, it will be nigh on impossible
    He’s got 2 hopes....Bob and no hope💩
    edited November 2020
    hmmm so people basically think i have no shot of getting any money refunded? i hate how this costs me around £500 each year. does anyone else lose that much from disconnections and power cuts? feels like i'm the only one.
    Aerionz said:

hmmm so people basically think i have no shot of getting any money refunded? i hate how this costs me around £500 each year. does anyone else lose that much from disconnections and power cuts? feels like i'm the only one.

@Aerionz

I doubt others lose those amounts each year as they take precautions - see the post earlier in the thread by Evil Pingu.

Power cuts are mercifully rare in the UK, unless you live in some wild out of the way spot, but one or two a year is certainly likely, so taking precautions is what most people do. Even just having a mobile phone available cuts the risk enormously.

• bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    edited November 2020
    Aerionz said:

It’s not that they don’t think you have a shot, it’s that they don’t think you are entitled to one. Why should an energy company or the national grid underwrite all activities that people use electricity for? What do you think the limit of such compensation should be? At some point you’d have to agree that it’s your responsibility to manage the risk. You could run a backup generator if you were that worried! If it’s that regular an occurrence it should simply be treated as your own operational cost, and you would then decide if it’s still worth your while playing.

Seems to me the advice to having a spare laptop and access to a mobile internet connection ready to go is the way you should be going. You could set that up for a couple of hundred and it would pay for itself if the failures are this common.