You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Accused. Trial in the Outback.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,142
Good Documentary.
Cant find a trailer.
Channel 5.
The dingo baby.

Accused: Trial in the Outback review — the dingo case and the evils of mass hysteria

Accused: Trial in the Outback
Channel 5
★★★★☆

Long before Hugh and Nicole in The Undoing, Lindy and Michael Chamberlain were starring in the real-life trial of the century. Granted, it was last century, and probably only so in Australia, but still, the case of the baby snatched by a dingo was a cause célèbre even before A Cry in the Dark, the 1988 film in which Meryl Streep went full Aussie under a black pudding-bowl hairdo.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/accused-trial-in-the-outback-review-the-dingo-case-and-the-evils-of-mass-hysteria-n3gjxr2hv

Comments

• Options
    I was watching this documentary earlier.
    In the first episode they ask a British fella to go over there to give evidence.
    They have set the trial date.
    He says he will give evidence, but only if he can watch the cricket at the same time.
    So they alter the trial date by a couple of months, just to accommodate him.
    The defendant is in jail, with no bail.
    That doesnt matter, as long as he gets to see the cricket.
    FFS, what do the rest of the world think of Brits.
    I always tell people abroad that I am Welsh.
    Its just so embarrassing.
    Cricket is more important than justice, or getting someone out of jail.
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,247
    Watched it last night,even though the events only took place back in the 1980's,the Australian judicial systems attitude seemed to be stuck in the 1880's,with the views of some of those in charge of the investigation.
  • Options
    BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,461
    @lucy4 What platform did you watch this on. Not on Netflix and not available in my area on Amazon Prime. Thanks
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,247
    Boxster said:

@lucy4 What platform did you watch this on. Not on Netflix and not available in my area on Amazon Prime. Thanks

@Boxster Channel 5
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Watched it last night,even though the events only took place back in the 1980's,the Australian judicial systems attitude seemed to be stuck in the 1880's,with the views of some of those in charge of the investigation.

Politicians wanted the case solved.
    Law enforcement decided that she was the only person they could convict.
    So they decided to convict her.
    Including the destruction of evidence that didnt fit, and neglecting their obligation for disclosure to the defence.
    Forensic evidence was adapted to suit the prosecution.
    Game over.
    Their lives were ruined.

It is a strange legal system where the husband is convicted of murder, but doesnt have to serve any time to enable him to look after the kids.
    That is except for the one born in jail.

I watched another true crime miscarriage of justice case the other day, where the lead detective said his goal was to obtain a conviction.
    Truth and justice then go out of the window.

In many of these cases it is almost impossible to get them to admit they are wrong.
    It seems very easy to get into jail, and almost impossible to get out, even if you are innocent.