You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Police State UK?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,969
Police state UK: Police AND PCSOs can fine people if they aren't wearing a mask or don't have a good reason to be out and EVERYONE at an illegal gathering faces penalties of up to £10,000 - and the rules don't expire until MARCH 31

The regulations underpinning the drastic curbs have come into effect in England after Boris Johnson said he was left with 'no choice' due to the mutant strain running rampant. The whole country has essentially been plunged into a toughened version of Tier 4, with a ban on leaving the home unless there is a specified 'essential' reason. The law states that police and PCSOs can use 'reasonable force' to make people stay indoors, or break up gatherings. The Met Police said this morning that it will be taking a harder line than before, issuing fines 'more quickly' to anyone committing 'obvious, wilful and serious breaches'. Those flouting the law on wearing masks 'can expect to be fined - not reasoned with', and people attending parties face penalties along with the organisers. Fixed penalty notices of £200 will be issued for a first offence, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £6,400. Those holding an illegal gathering of more than 30 people risk fines of £10,000. Tory MPs have been alarmed that the regulations have extended the expiry date of the tiers system from February 2 to March 31 - despite the PM claiming that the system can start to be eased from mid-February if vaccine rollout goes well. Local authorities will also keep powers to control public gatherings and specific premises in their areas until July 17, rather than January 17 as previously.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9117399/Lockdown-LAW-Boris-Johnson-set-face-MPs-ahead-vote.html

Crime commissioner calls for law change to allow officers to force entry into homes of suspected rule-breakers while Scotland Yard tells cops to 'to issue fines more quickly'

West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson said he has urged the government to give officers power of entry, to help 'enforce the new regulations more easily.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9117625/Crime-commissioner-calls-officers-force-entry-homes-suspected-rule-breakers.html

Comments

• Options
    New Covid crackdown begins: Four people are fined for 'going to McDonald's' together, officers stop CARS to quiz drivers and masked cops arrest 28 activists for 'breaking lockdown rules' during London protests

The clampdown on people leaving home without 'good reason' came as Boris Johnson (inset today) was accused of quietly extending his lockdown until March 31 as his new COVID law was published and he ducked Tory demands to guarantee 'malicious' rules are eased after his first review on February 15. Council Covid wardens were also out in force across the country as the authorities vowed to fine mask-flouters, groups of more than two people or anyone out of the house without 'good reason' at least £200 on the spot. West Midlands Police has asked for permission to force entry into homes to break up parties. Scotland Yard's constables were filmed chasing protesters through Parliament Square (main picture and right) today before putting them in handcuffs as officers were heard telling people gathering illegally: 'I'm going to issue you a fine if you don't return home'. People were pinned to the ground and cuffed - including on the plinths of the famous statues there including Mahatma Gandhi's - before being put into vans after refusing to leave Westminster. Around two miles away Met officers arrested supporters of Julian Assange as he was denied bail at Westminster Magistrates' Court this morning, including a 92-year-old man (left) and several other pensioners. The hard-line from the Metropolitan Police came as England's new lockdown laws were published and it was revealed they will be enforced until Easter. Thames Valley Police has apologised for the behaviour of an officer who they said was 'a bit keen' in handing out leaflets asking drivers 'why are you here?' as part of a crackdown on travel during lockdown in wealthy Maidenhead.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9117399/Lockdown-LAW-Boris-Johnson-set-face-MPs-ahead-vote.html
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a group from history say "Ve are only carrying out our orders!"

I understand the police are there to enforce the law. What I am against is the over zealous enforcement of laws that have removed at a stroke what it is to live in a free and open democracy.

People going for a drive in their self countained vehicle bubble should not be criminalized for staving of boredom by going for a drive.

Also does anyone else find it disgusting that the Thames Valley Police issued an apology to "wealthy" Maidenhead residents while the met chased the hoi palloy commoners through the streets of London?
  • Options
    No second chances! Police will fine people £200 the FIRST time they are caught not wearing a mask or outside without a reason

Scotland Yard revealed officers will be told to stop civilians in the street and quiz them on why they are not shut away in their homes. Anyone who cannot give a lawful excuse will be fined up to £6,400 and those caught without face coverings in necessary areas will also be slapped with an on the spot penalty notice. The ratcheting up of enforcing the rules comes as police chiefs dish out new instructions to officers in England and Wales to fine people more quickly when their breach is obvious. It comes on a day where police arrested 28 protesters for flouting restrictions in London (left and bottom right), fined four friends £800 for travelling in the same car to McDonald's (top right) and policemen pulled over motorists to check where they were going. Meanwhile Boris Johnson (inset) extended his third national lockdown until March 31 as his new Covid law was published and he ducked Tory demands to guarantee 'malicious' rules are eased after his first review on February 15. The PM had told the Commons ahead of the vote on the measure on Wednesday night he had 'no choice' but to clamp down on those flouting the rules to curb the spread of the mutant Covid strain sweeping the country. He saw off Tory rebels as the measures were passed into law in the House by 524 votes to 16, an overwhelming majority of 508.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9119981/Police-enforcing-lockdown-laws-fine-people-time-caught-not-wearing-mask.html
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    Did I miss the announcement on the news that martial law has been imposed on the nation?
  • Options
    TedsonTedson Member Posts: 60
    I watched a bit of a livestream from an anti-lockdown protest in London a couple of months ago and I was appalled. I've never seen such heavy handed policing of a peaceful protest in the UK. They appeared just to be picking off people at random. Compare that with the treatment of BLM or XR protestors.

What worries me is that governments and authorities don't tend to readily give up powers they've acquired during a crisis.
  • Options
    Rinkhals said:

Did I miss the announcement on the news that martial law has been imposed on the nation?
    </blockquote

I disagree with much of what this government has done, the way they have done it, in particular the timing, and the constant u-turning.
    They are the elected government.
    Many thousands of infections resulting in many thousands of deaths will be caused by those that ignore the rules.
    Less people will observe the rules if they are not rigorously enforced.
    There seems to be little point in having rules that arent enforced.
    The rules are in place to reduce the number of infections.
    This will not be possible if they are not observed by many thousands of the population.

• Options
    Tedson said:

I watched a bit of a livestream from an anti-lockdown protest in London a couple of months ago and I was appalled. I've never seen such heavy handed policing of a peaceful protest in the UK. They appeared just to be picking off people at random. Compare that with the treatment of BLM or XR protestors.

What worries me is that governments and authorities don't tend to readily give up powers they've acquired during a crisis.

Why would anyone think that having a protest in the middle of a pandemic, is a good idea?
    They should give up the powers when the crisis is all over.
    We are a low way from there.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    there would be no need for any policing at all if people followed guidelines, the reason we need any rules is down to peoples 'interpretation' of what is allowed
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,155
    Apparently its ok to break the rules if you are a "celeb" or a footballer. All you need to do is issue a grovelling apology citing a serious error of judgement and all is forgiven.

They are the ones who should be hit the hardest as they are "role models" and in the public eye. With status comes responsibility.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

there would be no need for any policing at all if people followed guidelines, the reason we need any rules is down to peoples 'interpretation' of what is allowed

Where there are rules, there always seems to be a them and us situation.
  • Options

Apparently its ok to break the rules if you are a "celeb" or a footballer. All you need to do is issue a grovelling apology citing a serious error of judgement and all is forgiven.

They are the ones who should be hit the hardest as they are "role models" and in the public eye. With status comes responsibility.

Three people are charged with assaulting police after officers entered family's home 'after being told too many people were inside'

Two police officers knocked on a door in Aberdeen at 11.20pm on Wednesday after a member of the public reported a breach of coronavirus restrictions. Gatherings are banned in the UK to ease pressure on the NHS as the number of coronavirus cases continue to rise. Footage shared online showed a police officer standing inside the hallway of a home as a woman was held back by another man. She said: 'My house. That is bullying. This is my house. Get out of my house. I did not ask you in here.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9123839/Coronavirus-Scotland-Three-people-charged-assaulting-police.html

Covid crackdown Britain: Drivers are turned away from beauty spots while police question parents with pushchairs about where they are going and FOUR cops surround man outside Tube station

Ms Patel spoke out after the Met revealed officers will be told to stop civilians and quiz them on why they are not at home and four friends were fined £800 for travelling in the same car to McDonald's.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9121471/Priti-Patel-backs-police-quizzing-people-sitting-park-benches-lockdown.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Where there are rules, there always seems to be a them and us situation.

EXCLUSIVE: Jonathan Van Tam went for a curry on same day Boris Johnson told Londoners to avoid restaurants due to Covid risk - then claimed the £21.77 meal on the taxpayer
    Jonathan Van Tam spent £21.77 on a meal at Pakhtoon Restaurant on March 16
    That same day, Boris Johnson urged all people in the UK to avoid contact
    He put pubs, clubs and non-essential travel off limits to slow the spread of Covid
    Warned Londoners to 'pay special attention' to advice and avoid restaurants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9125621/Jonathan-Van-Tam-went-curry-Boris-Johnson-told-Londoners-avoid-restaurants.html
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    "+1 social credit was deposited in your account"
    Litmus testing on behalf of government to see what they can get away with next

• Options
    Police force warns people they could be fined for breaching COVID rules if they play in the snow

A police force has come under fire after threatening people with fines for breaching coronavirus lockdown laws if they’re caught playing in the snow.

Officers from West Mercia Police issued the warning after they received reports of people throwing snowballs on Thursday night.

The Broseley and Wenlock Safer Neighbourhood Team, in Shropshire, tweeted that snowball fights would likely be in violation of the government’s tough lockdown rules, which were introduced earlier this week.

They wrote: “This is obviously not a justifiable reason to be out of your house, this behaviour is likely to result in a £200 Fixed Penalty Notice for breaking the lockdown rules.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-police-force-warns-fines-playing-snow-145709542.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Covid marshal is sacked for chasing down an innocent man, 'aggressively' searching him and threatening him with ARREST while he was on his way home from the shops

Floyd Langridge (pictured), 44, was holding his cigarette as he walked home with supplies when he says he was approached by a Covid marshal in Tonbridge, Kent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9127573/Covid-marshal-sacked-chasing-innocent-man-searching-threatening-ARREST.html
  • Options
    Police 'are told to fine Covid rule-breakers after just ONE verbal warning' as three officers 'arrest a woman for sitting on a bench' and another is surrounded for 'leaving her house more than once'

Officers in England will 'move through the gears' and charge people £200 if they think a person is flouting the restrictions and they will not go home when asked once. It comes as footage emerged showing three police officers surrounding a woman for allegedly leaving her house more than once in a day. Another four officers appear to arrest a different woman for what she claims was 'sitting on a bench' on the seafront. Meanwhile Priti Patel defended the way police have handed out fines for breaches, stressing there is a 'need for strong enforcement'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9130133/Police-told-fine-Covid-rule-breakers-just-ONE-verbal-warning.html
  • Options