You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

"An abundance of caution"

124»

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Risk of suffering serious blood clot after AstraZeneca jab doubles in fortnight

New data from the Medical Healthcare products and Regulatory Agency (MHRA) show cases have risen from 79 to 168 since April 8, and deaths from 19 to 32.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/risk-suffering-serious-blood-clot-174954336.html

Let's look at what I said on 2nd April in this thread.

"An abundance of caution" in action, right there.

30 million vaccinated. Of 18.1 million checked, 30 reported problems-under 2 per million. Some of which will not have died. So a small fraction of the Germany's worst case scenario of the 4 deaths per million outlined above.

While in France- 4 times fewer people vaccinated. Scare stories running wild. 50-60,000 new cases per day. Hospitalisation at record levels. Country shutting down.

Those risk/reward figures must be a real toss-up.

If you are blinkered, or have no concept of maths.

So-the latest scare story you have quoted proclaims the risk has "doubled". Or halved, depending how you look at it. Because our predicted death rate has gone up from 1 per million to 2 per million. But still only half of the 4 per million in the German study.

Let's keep using France as the benchmark. If the 50 million or so unvaccinated French adults were all vaccinated, there might be nearly 100 deaths. Some of them would undoubtedly have pre-existing conditions.

Last month nearly 10,000 French people died. Bringing the total past 100,000. The French (unlike the UK) say how many people currently have Covid. 1.3 million. Which will logically mean an additional 10,000 deaths. And new infections running at 25-30,000 per day. Which will logically mean an additional 250 deaths. Every single day.
    I was merely pointing out that the number of blood clotting cases has increased substantially in what has seemed a short space of time.
    You consistently base your argument on either using AZ, or not vaccinating.
    There are a number of vaccines available, that dont have this side effect.
    Therefore if you based your argument on using AZ, or an alternative vaccine, it would be much more difficult to stand up.
    Blood clotting has not increased substantially. At all.

If you are the Daily Mail, and believe UK Science is better than German Science, then maybe. But I don't. And you don't.

Simple fact is 1st (German) study said could be as many as 4 deaths per million vaccines. Then a UK study suggested 1 death per million. Now another UK study suggests 2 per million. Big shock-3rd study lies roughly halfway between 1st 2 studies. Not an increase at all. Not a story at all. Unless you are on Team Scare.

Why do I base my argument on AZ or nothing? 2 reasons:-

1. That was the only basis our regulator used; and
    2. In all of the real world, outside of the UK and possibly the US, those are the choices. In the EU, in India, in Brazil. Both because there is not enough of any vaccine, and because various Governments are refusing AZ while their people die.

That is the real choice.

What is the only major risk to the UK? And more particularly, to anyone who has not had Covid?

Not AZ. A 3rd wave later this year. Not from people who had a vaccine. Any vaccine. From people who had none. Many of which have not done so because their politicians are playing politics.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,020
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Risk of suffering serious blood clot after AstraZeneca jab doubles in fortnight

New data from the Medical Healthcare products and Regulatory Agency (MHRA) show cases have risen from 79 to 168 since April 8, and deaths from 19 to 32.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/risk-suffering-serious-blood-clot-174954336.html

Let's look at what I said on 2nd April in this thread.

"An abundance of caution" in action, right there.

30 million vaccinated. Of 18.1 million checked, 30 reported problems-under 2 per million. Some of which will not have died. So a small fraction of the Germany's worst case scenario of the 4 deaths per million outlined above.

While in France- 4 times fewer people vaccinated. Scare stories running wild. 50-60,000 new cases per day. Hospitalisation at record levels. Country shutting down.

Those risk/reward figures must be a real toss-up.

If you are blinkered, or have no concept of maths.

So-the latest scare story you have quoted proclaims the risk has "doubled". Or halved, depending how you look at it. Because our predicted death rate has gone up from 1 per million to 2 per million. But still only half of the 4 per million in the German study.

Let's keep using France as the benchmark. If the 50 million or so unvaccinated French adults were all vaccinated, there might be nearly 100 deaths. Some of them would undoubtedly have pre-existing conditions.

Last month nearly 10,000 French people died. Bringing the total past 100,000. The French (unlike the UK) say how many people currently have Covid. 1.3 million. Which will logically mean an additional 10,000 deaths. And new infections running at 25-30,000 per day. Which will logically mean an additional 250 deaths. Every single day.
    I was merely pointing out that the number of blood clotting cases has increased substantially in what has seemed a short space of time.
    You consistently base your argument on either using AZ, or not vaccinating.
    There are a number of vaccines available, that dont have this side effect.
    Therefore if you based your argument on using AZ, or an alternative vaccine, it would be much more difficult to stand up.
    Blood clotting has not increased substantially. At all.

If you are the Daily Mail, and believe UK Science is better than German Science, then maybe. But I don't. And you don't.

Simple fact is 1st (German) study said could be as many as 4 deaths per million vaccines. Then a UK study suggested 1 death per million. Now another UK study suggests 2 per million. Big shock-3rd study lies roughly halfway between 1st 2 studies. Not an increase at all. Not a story at all. Unless you are on Team Scare.

Why do I base my argument on AZ or nothing? 2 reasons:-

1. That was the only basis our regulator used; and
    2. In all of the real world, outside of the UK and possibly the US, those are the choices. In the EU, in India, in Brazil. Both because there is not enough of any vaccine, and because various Governments are refusing AZ while their people die.

That is the real choice.

What is the only major risk to the UK? And more particularly, to anyone who has not had Covid?

Not AZ. A 3rd wave later this year. Not from people who had a vaccine. Any vaccine. From people who had none. Many of which have not done so because their politicians are playing politics.
    For those that have lost a close friend, or family member, I dont suppose any of this matters very much.
    I suppose the odds, and who said what, are probably irrelevant to them.
  • Options
    The patients who blame their tinnitis on Covid jab: At least 1,500 people complain that they developed ringing in the ears after their vaccine

At least 1,500 people have so far complained to the MHRA, through its yellow-card system for reporting feared side-effects, that they have developed tinnitus, ringing in the ears, after their jab

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9513973/At-1-500-people-complain-developed-ringing-ears-vaccine.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

The patients who blame their tinnitis on Covid jab: At least 1,500 people complain that they developed ringing in the ears after their vaccine

At least 1,500 people have so far complained to the MHRA, through its yellow-card system for reporting feared side-effects, that they have developed tinnitus, ringing in the ears, after their jab

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9513973/At-1-500-people-complain-developed-ringing-ears-vaccine.html

There are always going to be small numbers of people with adverse reactions to any drug. There are also going to be people with undiagnosed conditions that blame the jab. Much like the MMR jab.

This data seems a bit premature. Tinnitus for how long? Why is it equally prevalent amongst Pfizer/AZ patients? Any relevant Scientist will tell you that incidences over 1 in 10,000 will have been correctly identified by now.

I think the solution is obvious.

Stop reading the Daily Mail....
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    I do wonder if Tony just reads a headline and decides to put it up on a forum because it looks bad on the UK and AZ and Pfizer in this case ... it does say in the article there is no scientific evidence to this claim ..

Who are you trying to convince that the AZ vaccine is bad for there health the UK or are you siding with the EU and there mixed messages
  • Options
    HANSON said:

I do wonder if Tony just reads a headline and decides to put it up on a forum because it looks bad on the UK and AZ and Pfizer in this case ... it does say in the article there is no scientific evidence to this claim ..

Who are you trying to convince that the AZ vaccine is bad for there health the UK or are you siding with the EU and there mixed messages

I have had an AZ first dose.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

There are always going to be small numbers of people with adverse reactions to any drug. There are also going to be people with undiagnosed conditions that blame the jab. Much like the MMR jab.

This data seems a bit premature. Tinnitus for how long? Why is it equally prevalent amongst Pfizer/AZ patients? Any relevant Scientist will tell you that incidences over 1 in 10,000 will have been correctly identified by now.

I regularly post articles that I think will be debated.

I dont really think that the source matters that much, providing it is reasonably reliable.

Many of the articles that I post from The Mail are very concise, as this one was.

I doubt that the claim that a number of people have reported this possible side effect is untrue.

Everything else can be debated.

Besides which, posting anything that points a finger at AZ, in respect of any possible wrongdoing, is guaranteed to get a response from you.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I regularly post articles that I think will be debated.

I dont really think that the source matters that much, providing it is reasonably reliable.

Many of the articles that I post from The Mail are very concise, as this one was.

I doubt that the claim that a number of people have reported this possible side effect is untrue.

Everything else can be debated.

Besides which, posting anything that points a finger at AZ, in respect of any possible wrongdoing, is guaranteed to get a response from you.
    True.

We've both had an AZ jab, which may well have saved our lives.

I am grateful. You clearly are not. That is your prerogative.
  • Options
    HANSON said:

I start many threads that have nothing to do with the UK looking bad.

I would like to think that I am on the side of fairness, rather than the EU.

I have made my opinions about AZ deliveries to the EU clear on another thread.

I have also made my opinion regarding the AZ blood clotting side effects clear on this thread.

Just to write this off as small numbers, and low percentages, will give no succour to the close friends, and family that have died from the blood clots, however small a number.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
  • Options