You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The True Meaning of Easter

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
You will no doubt be told by Christians that "Jesus died for our sins".

But that's not really true, is it? I've read the book. And seen the film. Good Friday he was crucified, and by Sunday came back to life.

It's all in the marketing. Because

"Jesus gave up his weekend for our sins" doesn't have quite the same ring to it :)

Comments

• Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    That was a long time he was hung-over 😈
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,625
    I dont believe in a personal god. We all should know by now that there is overwhelming evidence to suggest we live in a computer simulation. Which means our reality likely has a programmer or programmers if you want to call that god or gods um okay. However I doubt the programmers of our reality are even focused on humans as a whole let alone individuals.

I dont believe in any religion or anything like that. To me Easter is just an excuse to take time off and take time to appreciate life and take it easy.

Its tough to strike a balance if you dont work hard and you take it easy all the time you are unlikely to have a decent life or get what you want or be able to afford much.

If you work hard all the time your unlikely to ever find much time to enjoy life because your always to busy.

The difficulty is striking the balance and I think having occasions like Easter Halloween Christmas etc gives the nice excuse to take time out once in a while.

That is what Easter is to me.

If god died for my sins he wasted his time because I am still going to gamble drink and F***
    and quite frankly I only live once so why not.

Just make sure you do more good for other people then you do harm, so that the world was a better place for having you in it and so long as that is the case do what you will so long as it doesnt hurt others without their consent (some people like BDSM). Then everything is good.
  • Options
    Tough crowd in tonight :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    TBF i feel really sorry for Jesus he went thru a rough weekend so we could have chocolate eggs ... makes me wonder if his middle name was Cadbury ..

For those who believe what is the relevance with getting eggs and being crucified and coming back to life ...

And yes i laughed when i read original post
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    edited April 2021
    Hey @Doubleme, guess what Christians drink, gamble and f***. So you are obviously well qualified to join us. I'm always available for a chat.

God already knows every sin you have already committed and also knows every sin you will commit in the future and he loves you regardless.

As for all those people who believe that there is no God all I can say is you better be right coz if you're wrong, well that's going to sting more than just a little.

As for me it's a win win. If I'm right that's great, eternal life etc, if I'm wrong well I wont even be aware of it coz I'll just be dead.

@HANSON The egg was seen as a symbol of birth / rebirth, these were often ornamental and given as a gift to represent ones own personal ressurection. Hence the saying "born again".

Have a great Easter everybody.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,367
    As for all those people who believe that there is no God all I can say is you better be right coz if you're wrong, well that's going to sting more than just a little a little.

A god who threatens to punish people for not believing in him is a bit of a egotistical jerk , I hope one day you get to manage without him.

The OP is doing a stand up routine.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

As for all those people who believe that there is no God all I can say is you better be right coz if you're wrong, well that's going to sting more than just a little a little.

A god who threatens to punish people for not believing in him is a bit of a egotistical jerk , I hope one day you get to manage without him.

The OP is doing a stand up routine.

Last 1-promise.

Good Friday at the Premier Inn.
    Jesus walks in with 2 lumps of wood and some nails.
    And asks if they can put him up for the night.

Happy Easter

Particularly to those for whom it is a religious festival
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

@Essexphil

Comedian, & 7 @ 7 winner.
  • Options

Hey @Doubleme, guess what Christians drink, gamble and f***. So you are obviously well qualified to join us. I'm always available for a chat.

God already knows every sin you have already committed and also knows every sin you will commit in the future and he loves you regardless.

As for all those people who believe that there is no God all I can say is you better be right coz if you're wrong, well that's going to sting more than just a little.

As for me it's a win win. If I'm right that's great, eternal life etc, if I'm wrong well I wont even be aware of it coz I'll just be dead.

@HANSON The egg was seen as a symbol of birth / rebirth, these were often ornamental and given as a gift to represent ones own personal ressurection. Hence the saying "born again".

Have a great Easter everybody.

You are referring to Pascals wager at first it seems a very compelling logical reason to believe in god mathematically justified and you would think it would apply to any decent poker player until you actually analyse it a bit further.

Ok for those that do not know pascals wager basically says that if you do not believe in god and you are right you gain nothing you lose nothing. If you do not believe in god and you are wrong you lose everything as you burn in **** for all eternity.
    If you believe in god and are right you gain everything and if you believe in god and are wrong you lose nothing.
    So effectively believing in god is a free roll and not believing is taking a massive unnecessary risk. effectively you are folding before any bets are placed when you could have a free flop if you choose not to believe and well you get the point.

Well hold on what if God is actually testing peoples moral compass on whether they would follow a morally bankrupt deity just because of fear of power. and the ones who get into heaven are the ones who do not do so and the ones that burn are the ones willing to sell out.

Or maybe God is a giant pink bunny rabbit that orbits mars and those that believe in the Giant pink bunny rabbit get salvation but those that dont live in the dungeons beneath mars for all eternity. We only have until our satalites eventually spot the Giant pink Bunny rabbit and then its to late accept the Giant pink Rabbit into your heart now. Or maybe its the flying spaggetti monster or Wotang or Thor or Allah or Vishnu or JUJU monster at the bottom of the sea.

You can literally create infinite stories like this where the consequences of believing the wrong thing are infinitely negative and consequences of believing the right thing are eternal reward so the argument fails, as it can be used for infinite things.

If there truly is a creator of this universe that would send most of humanity to maximum torment for all eternity then this character is worse then Hitler and is running a regime more morally bankrupt then the ****. and I challenge anyone to actually refute that on a moral basis.

If the Abrahamic God is real and what is presented to us is accurate eg heaven and **** then I could never respect them let alone worship them. Would I be up for faking it to escape infinite torture against a power that I would have absolutely no chance of overcoming. Sure call me a coward but it would be illogical not to. However they would read my mind and know what i thought so I would be screwed anyway.

Hence if this God does exist I am better of not knowing so i can enjoy whatever time I have not burning in **** for all eternity whilst I have that time left. Instead of living in anxiety about the impending doom.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    If I was on here taking the p*** out of Allah or mocking Mohammed, you guys would all be screaming that I should be banned, calling me out as an intolerant bigot.

Yet because it's the Christian Deity in the firing line that's fine yeah. Oh well no problem I am not a woke snowflake so keep firing and like you think God's gonna **** about it?.

@Essexphil OP was funny and I got the irony, his 2nd joke wasn't funny, because it's been around since AD34 or thereabouts. Oh and before people think I can't take a joke let me say this;

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy". Great film and funny as f***.

@Doubleme I was quite enjoying your post about Pascals wager then it appeared that you suddenly went on a trip to Mongo Moon via The Clangers returning by way of Mien Kampf and the Holocaust.

Your view is of course skewed by the belief that God's wrath is somehow unfair and therefore morally wrong when in fact God's Judgement is righteous and it is we who are morally corrupt. He created us, he can pretty much do what he wants, He sent Christ Jesus so he doesn't have to condem us all to eternal damnation.

It will remain this way whilst The Devil rules the Earth and we descend ever more rapidly into Satanic degeneracy. He is slowly eroding the belief of the world with his only weapons, lies and technology, drugs and misinformation, war and famine, conspiracy and deceit, wealth and fame.

Hiding it behind a banner called personal freedom he encourages the breakdown of society, family, law and order as he whispers his manifesto into the minds of those too busy, too ambitious or too comfortable to care.

Anyway, enough of the sermon.

It's Easter Sunday. He is risen, may you all feel His touch, His love and His grace.
  • Options

If I was on here taking the p*** out of Allah or mocking Mohammed, you guys would all be screaming that I should be banned, calling me out as an intolerant bigot.

Yet because it's the Christian Deity in the firing line that's fine yeah. Oh well no problem I am not a woke snowflake so keep firing and like you think God's gonna **** about it?.

@Essexphil OP was funny and I got the irony, his 2nd joke wasn't funny, because it's been around since AD34 or thereabouts. Oh and before people think I can't take a joke let me say this;

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy". Great film and funny as f***.

@Doubleme I was quite enjoying your post about Pascals wager then it appeared that you suddenly went on a trip to Mongo Moon via The Clangers returning by way of Mien Kampf and the Holocaust.

Your view is of course skewed by the belief that God's wrath is somehow unfair and therefore morally wrong when in fact God's Judgement is righteous and it is we who are morally corrupt. He created us, he can pretty much do what he wants, He sent Christ Jesus so he doesn't have to condem us all to eternal damnation.

It will remain this way whilst The Devil rules the Earth and we descend ever more rapidly into Satanic degeneracy. He is slowly eroding the belief of the world with his only weapons, lies and technology, drugs and misinformation, war and famine, conspiracy and deceit, wealth and fame.

Hiding it behind a banner called personal freedom he encourages the breakdown of society, family, law and order as he whispers his manifesto into the minds of those too busy, too ambitious or too comfortable to care.

Anyway, enough of the sermon.

It's Easter Sunday. He is risen, may you all feel His touch, His love and His grace.

for starters absolutely not I think people should be free to criticise and ridicule every single religion and I see no reason for any religion to get special treatment. I cant speak for everyone else but I have no problem with you mocking Islam Christianity Hinduism Atheism, my belief that we live in a computer simulation or any other belief. All beliefs are just ideas and no idea should be above criticism or ridicule.

I fully believe in freedom of speech.

If I was smart enough and had the resources to create my own simulation of intelligent self aware beings would I then have the rights to torture the beings within that simulation or would you say there was a moral imperative to treat them well?

your alleged god does not need to send himself/his son to sacrifice themselves to appease their own wrath. Thats like me holding a grudge against you but deciding to punch myself in the face so that I can forgive you. i think you would contact the men in white Coats if this was the case no?

• Options
    AHH The old "freedom of speech" chestnut eh?

Is that the same freedom of speech that doesn't allow me to swear on this forum?

That outlaws many terms for peoples colour, sexuality or race?

The same freedom under which I can be arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned?

I think you will find that in law we have no actual right to free speech, free assembly or freedom of expression?

If you really believe that you have that freedom then perhaps you need the white coat men, as this surely is the most delusional thing posted on this entire thread.

As for your atheism that's perfectly fine, you do have the right to believe in your version of the World and what drives it. Actually your computer simulation theory is not as wacky as some I've heard although Tron was an awful film.

As previously stated, you have to be right. Me, not so much. Even if I'm wrong, and I don't think I am, if all I achieve is to live my life being less of a c*** then that's a huge positive.

As a Christian I am charged with bringing Christ to people, not with bringing people to Christ. If they decide that it's not for them, that's fine, they still get my prayers, my compassion and my love.

Be happy.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636

Is that the same freedom of speech that doesn't allow me to swear on this forum?

I think you will find that in law we have no actual right to free speech, free assembly or freedom of expression?

If you really believe that you have that freedom then perhaps you need the white coat men, as this surely is the most delusional thing posted on this entire thread.

As for your atheism that's perfectly fine, you do have the right to believe in your version of the World and what drives it. Actually your computer simulation theory is not as wacky as some I've heard although Tron was an awful film.

As previously stated, you have to be right. Me, not so much. Even if I'm wrong, and I don't think I am, if all I achieve is to live my life being less of a c*** then that's a huge positive.

As a Christian I am charged with bringing Christ to people, not with bringing people to Christ. If they decide that it's not for them, that's fine, they still get my prayers, my compassion and my love.

Be happy.

disagree Tron was ace
  • Options
    @stokefc The 3D film was ok the original 80's ( I think) film was bad, the arcade game was addictive Mr Nudge up Anley duck.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041

Be happy.

Freedom of Speech seems to exist until it conflicts with Freedom of Speech.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    It's all about the eggs man.
  • Options
    We seem to be confusing quite a few things here with regard to freedom of speech. Me saying I believe in freedom of speech is not the claim that we have freedom of speech. More the claim I believe we should have freedom of speech and I believe in the values of freedom of speech.

To clarify I believe in freedom of speech except for slander, libel, abuse, direct incitement to violence.
    Obviously if someone was to falsely accuse/assert someone else of a serious wrong such as rape pedophilia murder theft etc, that I think should be punishable under the law.
    I believe we should have freedom of speech even if that means saying horrible things eg if I was to claim (I am not claiming this and do not believe this) that a certain ethnicity were less intelligent or inferior etc I believe that should be allowed. If however I was to hurl racial abuse and slurs at an individual of that Race that is abuse and I believe that should not be allowed.

If i was to make a claim that particular ethnicity were bad for society in a particular way (again I do not believe this and am not claiming this it just an example) I would say that should be allowed and should not be seen as incitement to violence. if However I directly encouraged racial violence that should not be allowed.

This is how I believe the law should be regarding freedom of speech that is not me saying I believe that is how the law is.

In regards to what is allowed and is not allowed to be said on sky forums, Sky forums are not arbiters of the law they are a private company. They run a business that they want to provide entertainment to customers and thus do not want the atmosphere spoiled by what they deem to be inappropriate for this space.

I believe in freedom of speech I believe people should have the freedom of speech to be racist vile scum, If however I owned a restaurant I would not let the likes of Britain First, Tommy Robinson or the BNP come in wave their banners and give political speeches. I would still serve them food and treat them as any other customer because I believe in liberty and people not been denied goods and services for expressing views I disagree with. However if they started to spread there vile rhetoric in my establishment and I felt it was making other potential customers uncomfortable I would kick them out.

In the same way Sky forums have the right to not allow what they deem offensive speech on their forums or chat, I think this idea gets more complicated with social media and big tech and that can be a big debate in itself.

We do not have the freedom of speech I believe we should have in this country I have thought about making a separate thread on this before.

• Options
    Good points, well made.