You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

RIP Pete Linton

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766
edited April 2021 in Poker Chat
I've just heard that Pete Linton has passed away. Heart attack in Mexico, apparently.

Not sure how old he was but I first met him at Gala Notts in about 2004, & he was a very young man then. Nearer 35 than 40 at a guess.

Comments

• DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    nooo. You didin't ever want him at your table, he used to be relentless. Can't have been any age.

RIP
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,626
    No age
    RIP
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 849
    edited April 2021
    I was very sad to read this. Pete was a pretty controversial figure with a massively aggressive playing style and he generally thought all other players were idiots compared with him. I do remember a night when I walked along Blackpool beech at around 11pm with masses of foam blowing in off the waves and the wind almost carrying me out to sea while I talked to Pete who was definitely very down. I've no idea why he thought I was a good person to call as we didn't speak often but I was glad that he did.

I saw somewhere that he'd died of a heart attack although elsewhere there was a suggestion he had taken his own life. Did anyone hear what actually happened?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766
    NChanning said:

I was very sad to read this. Pete was a pretty controversial figure with a massively aggressive playing style and he generally thought all other players were idiots compared with him. I do remember a night when I walked along Blackpool beech at around 11pm with masses of foam blowing in off the waves and the wind almost carrying me out to see while I talked to Pete who was definitely very down. I've no idea why he thought I was a good person to call as we didn't speak often but I was glad that he did.

I saw somewhere that he'd died of a heart attack although elsewhere there was a suggestion he had taken his own life. Did anyone hear what actually happened?

@NChanning

Your opening sentence sums up Peter better than I ever could. There were no half measures with Pete, & he enjoyed a meteoric rise to the higher stakes games. He was always either very flush or busto.

I've checked the poker media every day since he passed away & have yet to see mention, which is disappointing. So no, I've no idea how it all came to such a sad & shuddering end for a lad who was so young. I've struggled to work out his age, but he was certainly less than 40.
  • LOL_RAISELOL_RAISE Member Posts: 2,188
    Posting this on behalf of Cos.

Hi Tikay and anyone else who knew Pete,

This is Cos/Greekstein.

This post was brought to my attention by someone not within the poker world, but someone who loved Pete very much and was searching online for pictures and things written on poker sites about him when they found this topic.

They, like I were upset to see the ‘suggestion’ that he had taken his own life. Pete had his ups and downs over the years, both in poker and life but he certainly did not take his own life.

I was extremely close to Pete and can assure you all that his persona at the table, whilst often hilarious, was far different from the caring, considerate man I knew off it. I spoke to him only a few days before he passed away and have been speaking to his family every day since.

His cause of death, as disclosed to his family by the coroner in Mexico where he was traveling at the time was a heart attack. He was also found to have 2 blood clots, something which there was a history of in the family.

He was a unique character and a huge loss the game and his friends and family.

Neil please pm me and let me know where the suggestion from elsewhere came from. I’d like to put whoever was gossiping straight on this.

Many thanks
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 849
    edited April 2021
    I'm sorry if I've upset anyone . I simply saw a couple of people posting to say what a good bloke Pete was, how they were always glad to see him at tournaments they attended and how sad they were to hear the news. Later I saw them post things along the lines of it's important to talk and you should always check how people are. To be honest I can't remember exactly what I saw it just got me thinking. Like I say, didn't intend to upset anyone, sure it's a sad enough time anyway.

I would stress nobody was doing any gossiping. I simply saw a couple of people who Tweeted saying how sad it was immediately afterwards Tweeting about how it's good to talk and how suicide is a terrible thing. In the latter Tweets they didn't reference Pete at all and I have no idea if they were linking the things at all. It just looked like they were.