You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Stumped.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,953
The Daily Telegraph is among those to highlight how marketing spin is changing some basic terms used in cricket.

It explains that the new Hundred competition - where each side faces one-hundred balls per innings - will replace the term "wickets" with "outs".

Batsmen will be called "batters" so the word can apply to both men and women. The paper says the changes follow research that found that cricketing terminology put off a potential new audience. The Daily Mail says the plans have left cricket fans "stumped".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-56726863

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,152
    Lets be honest Cricket is just rolling over in the name of "Progress and innovation", when all it's really doing is making money and creating formats that appeal to betting markets.

Lets make it even more appealing to new audiences by making it a reality tv show complete with celebrity umpires, viewers phoning in to determine whether the batter is out and a rule whereby if you hit the ball you must run.

CRICKET HAS SOLD OUT ITS REAL FANS, THE REAL GAME AND ALL ITS HISTORY FOR MONEY.

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,023
    Proper Cricket is played over 3-5 days, not (exciting as it may be) a set number of overs/balls.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    As the second dullest sport on the planet (after F1) ANYTHING that livens cricket up \makes it almost watchable , is a step in the right direction in my book....
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,083

Unless it lasts 3 or 5 days, it's not Cricket, so they can do what they wish with this "Hundred" nonsense, which I assume is designed to appeal to the same market as darts. I cannot imagine anything worse.

Stick your Hundred where the sun don't shine.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,023
    edited April 2021
    There's no time for this type of commentary in 'fast cricket'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04R0FRmATlo
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,152
    Tikay10 said:

Unless it lasts 3 or 5 days, it's not Cricket, so they can do what they wish with this "Hundred" nonsense, which I assume is designed to appeal to the same market as darts. I cannot imagine anything worse.

Stick your Hundred where the sun don't shine.

Absolutely agree @Tikay10.

I think the attraction will stem from the gambling markets that this will generate, much like the IPL in India.

Imagine sitting in front of the live broadcast, you know there's going to be 100 balls max per innings, but no traditional overs and bowlers can bowl their allotted balls in one continuous spell.

So every ball of the 200 match total has the ability to be a dot, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, wicket, nb, wide, bye, leg bye.

Every wicket max 20 can be bowled, caught, LBW, run out, stumped or hit wicket.

You have your computer or laptop open on your fave bookie site and with a beer in hand bet 10p on the outcome of each ball and 50p on the method of the next dismissal.

Massive fun for a £30 max loss, and you don't even need to pick a winner or an over / under or a batters score etc in fact you don't have to know anything about the game to enjoy it or get a buzz.

It'll be like a live fruit machine, choose your stake and click.

Mug punters will love it and we know it's mug punters who drive bookmakers to continually offer no value with zero liquidity markets and huge over rounds.

The bookies will push the markets on tv, the audience will grow and the broadcasters can ramp up the advertising revenue as the viewing figures get bigger.

Who loses? Well cricket loses in the long run, the problem is by the time the game realises it, it will be too late.