You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

10 years ago - Poker's Black Friday

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

Anyone remember what you were doing when this news broke?

Pokerstars, Full Tilt, Absolute Poker & UltimateBet were all bannered. Just like that. PokerStars soon returned, buying Full Tilt & making good player's funds, but Absolute & Ultimatebet were never seen again.

Howard Lederer & Chris Ferguson were indicted too, though amazingly, Chris Ferguson returned to poker a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Scheinberg

Comments

• WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    I distinctly remember being in the bath.
  • 68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    I remember thinking thank god I’m not a winning player.
    They can’t take away what you don’t have!!
  • IamAll_EnIamAll_En Member Posts: 45
    It was certainly a hard one to take. That's why now with instant withdrawls I take out my bankroll at the end of the day and then redeposit the following days.

Completely fine with Sky.. GG however have determined it as making too many deposits and capped me at $200 a month... I could argue the case, send the documents they need but if they aren't smart enough to take into account net deposits... Then I don't trust them with my business. :| ... Plus I'm lazy
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    I played strictly on Party at the time so it had no effect but I was active on 2p2 and the fallout over there was mental.

Isai Scheinberg did his first interview pretty much ever yesterday, which I doubt was a coincidence.
  • roddy28roddy28 Member Posts: 31
    I remember it, I was just starting in poker and had my biggest MTT score like 2 weeks before on Fulltilt 2nd in a $24 turbo for $2.1k like 3xing my roll at the time. My mum told me to take the money out of site, so I did and left like $60 on it,glad I did in-hindsight. Full tilt by far had the best poker software imo, I still think it better than any of the sites at moment.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,077
    I played about 70% of my online poker on FullTilt and had started to make regular deep runs in the $20 nightly double jackpot mtt.

Fortunately I'd withdrawn about $900 on the Tuesday leaving about $100 on account. I was playing a Friday comp at the local Grosvenor when 1 lads phone went off.

This guy has won a WSOP bracelet and about $400K for the win, and is well known in Stoke.

Turns out he had over $100K on Tilt which he couldn't get to for months and a similar sum on Stars.

OUCH.
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    edited April 2021
    WOW - 10 years ago.... that's quite scary!

I was very very new to online poker back then & had approx $5K in UBpoker (I'd just hit a bad beat jackpot sat at the cash tables for about $3.5K) I was young & naïve & didn't know about their reputation!

I managed to withdraw about $400 in tiny chunks before the site shut down completely. I remember thinking I will never ever get this money back & was sitting at $1K NL Heads up tables treating it as play money! :D

I'd completely written the money off when 6 or 7 years ago I received an email saying that I would be paid out the remaining balance I had with them. I thought it was all a scam at first! But a few weeks later I did indeed receive a cheque for about £3K <3<3<3

I played about 70% of my online poker on FullTilt and had started to make regular deep runs in the $20 nightly double jackpot mtt.

Fortunately I'd withdrawn about $900 on the Tuesday leaving about $100 on account. I was playing a Friday comp at the local Grosvenor when 1 lads phone went off.

This guy has won a WSOP bracelet and about $400K for the win, and is well known in Stoke.

Turns out he had over $100K on Tilt which he couldn't get to for months and a similar sum on Stars.

OUCH.

Wow that takes me back , I used to love that tournament . Although GG software has changed the game again ... I don't think you'll ever get software as smooth and pleasing on the eye as Full Tilt. Especially at the time pokerstars was brutal.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

Full Tilt software was the absolute GOAT.
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Had more than $1800 on full tilt that I had built up from a £30 deposit grinding the micro stakes multi table sngs. What a day that was. Left me feeling absolutely devastated. Don't keep any significant amount of money on poker sites ever since this and don't think I ever will again.

Felt like I'd had a great win when I got the money back though.

I agree Full tilt was the greatest software. Pretty sure when pokerstars bought it over and refunded everyone the full tilt software came back online again but was ran by pokerstars? I stopped playing for a few years and when I returned it seems pokerstars had a stopped running the full tilt software. what happened with that?

gregkdy82 said:

Had more than $1800 on full tilt that I had built up from a £30 deposit grinding the micro stakes multi table sngs. What a day that was. Left me feeling absolutely devastated. Don't keep any significant amount of money on poker sites ever since this and don't think I ever will again.

Felt like I'd had a great win when I got the money back though.

I agree Full tilt was the greatest software. Pretty sure when pokerstars bought it over and refunded everyone the full tilt software came back online again but was ran by pokerstars? I stopped playing for a few years and when I returned it seems pokerstars had a stopped running the full tilt software. what happened with that?

Full Tilt software still available and just runs the PS network. Software still as good as ever.

they announced its complete closure a few months back im sure
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    Ye you could still play poker on Full Tilt until a few months ago, and don't quote me on this, but I think FT has just been a Stars skin since 2016 so the software was just Stars with FT branding.
    edited April 2021
    My mistake by the sounds of it. I know I was playing on there in the last 12 months but was unaware it has since been taken down.
    Shame STARS can’t lend the FULL TILT software to Sky