You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Ex Poker Player beats the bookies using drones at race meetings

BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,461
Interesting read. He won some good money at live poker and moved on to the drones.

https://wired.co.uk/article/horse-racing-drone?fbclid=IwAR3j8zKfa-AgovNDbE_Ipw3XfweHPHHRPZm22Pj71Zn-WIbOWmZK1j8raQU

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766

Ahh, Mr McCool I assume.
  • BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,461
    Tikay10 said:

Ahh, Mr McCool I assume.

Correct, I don't know him. You come across him @Tikay10 ?

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766
    Boxster said:

Tikay10 said:

Ahh, Mr McCool I assume.

Correct, I don't know him. You come across him @Tikay10 ?

Yes, many many times. Quite the character, but underneath everything he is an animal lover.

We first met at Gala Notts in around 2005, then he fell out with me (& most others), only to later get back on side.

If he ever writes a book it'll be a best-seller.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,626
    You've got to admire him anything to get an edge and the will to beat the bookie
    Great read
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited November 2021
    And its perfectly legal apparantly just like courtsiding at Tennis

the Commission explains on its website. “We do not consider it necessary to intervene to prevent some players using technology to gain an advantage in terms of speed of information, provided it is clear to all players that this can be done.”

The Gambling Commission also looked at the use of access to real-time data and footage, and what it called “courtsiding” – transmitting live information from spectators at sporting events about key moments in races or matches – and decided it wasn’t cheating. They did, however, clarify that “The practice may […] breach the entry terms and conditions of a tournament.”

EDIT - Went to the snooker a cpl of years back and there was someone sat in front of us with his laptop blatantly placing bets on Betfair Exchange. Wouldn,t think was allowed
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,586
    If it is such a problem you would surely expect the bookmakers to do the same?
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,121
    It will end up just like card counting or arbing. As @MP33 points out. Whilst not illegal in law, venues will eject you and then ban you for breaching terms and conditions of entry.

As for bookies doing the same, its a question of resources. In the case of courtsiding they would need somebody at every single tennis match where there is a market with phone access to the traders and even then it would be down to how fast those traders reacted to the point and adjusted the markets.

Arbing is still possible, but it requires hours of trawling odds comparison sites and the requirement to spot it quickly before others do and the price shifts. Also if a bookie or betting company suspects you're arbing wave bye bye to your funds and your account.

Trading prices (Scalping) is legal on exchanges and for the most part the service provider doesn't mind as firstly it's not their money and secondly they make a commission from all your successful trades, but be aware that for every Caan Berry there are many who lose money.

Bookmakers already have it pretty much their own way almost to a point where betting its becoming a restrictive practice with what little chance punters have being strangled by over round markets, artificial prices, hidden rules and the ubiquitous "policy breach".
    In fact the only certainty is that if you win big your account will eventually be closed or restricted to £1 singles, 10p accas and 5p patents, yankees etc.

Oh and finally, If you're fortunate enough to find an edge over a bookie, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. The second you go public on social media etc you lose your edge and let the bookie catch up which is never a good idea.

Happy punting