You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How Can You Play Against This?

DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

cash table 2/4p blinds my question is should i have shoved all in on turn tho i think the chancer would've still called & also what's best way of playing someone like this on low cash tables or should i just move up a level 

dtw  

BigBee705 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.98
Guv90 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.52
bassbone Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Missy375 Call   £0.04 £0.14 £3.96
bassbone Check        
DTWBANDIT Raise   £0.08 £0.22 £3.88
nitronel Call   £0.08 £0.30 £2.35
BigBee705 Call   £0.06 £0.36 £3.92
Guv90 Call   £0.04 £0.40 £4.48
Missy375 Call   £0.04 £0.44 £3.92
bassbone Call   £0.04 £0.48 £3.92
Flop

• Q

BigBee705 Check        
Guv90 Bet   £0.04 £0.52 £4.44
Missy375 Fold        
bassbone Call   £0.04 £0.56 £3.88
DTWBANDIT Raise   £0.34 £0.90 £3.54
nitronel Fold        
BigBee705 Fold        
Guv90 Call   £0.30 £1.20 £4.14
bassbone Call   £0.30 £1.50 £3.58
Turn

• A

Guv90 Bet   £0.04 £1.54 £4.10
bassbone Call   £0.04 £1.58 £3.54
DTWBANDIT Raise   £0.85 £2.43 £2.69
Guv90 Call   £0.81 £3.24 £3.29
bassbone Call   £0.81 £4.05 £2.73
River

Guv90 All-in   £3.29 £7.34 £0.00
bassbone All-in   £2.73 £10.07 £0.00
DTWBANDIT All-in   £2.69 £12.76 £0.00
Guv90 Unmatched bet   £0.56 £12.20 £0.56
Guv90 Show

bassbone Show

DTWBANDIT Show
  • Q
  • A

bassbone Win Flush to the Queen £11.59   £11.59

Comments

• Options
    pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
    edited March 2010
    fishing and poker, such a fine blend of sports!!!
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited March 2010
    I think you could have avoided this mess if you had raised more pre-flop.  I really don't see the point in the min-raise.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited March 2010
    I agree with wilhelm, i mean you put in 8p, think about it, 8p lool, thats a five pence piece, a two pence piece, and a penny, i wouldnt even bother to pick that up if i dropped it in the street lol, of course they are gonna fish at this level with minimum raises. At this level, players tend to call min raises with any two suited, any connecting cards or any pair, and just about any thing else sometimes lol.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    edited March 2010
    you suprised me DTW.are you a tourny reg cuz when i,ve played against you you seem to be a very good player,just that i thought you would,ve bin playing much higher stakes rather than playing 2/4 unless your just starting to play cash just my thoughts m8.
    as for the hand what wilhelm said but really what ever you did you probs would of been called playing low limit theres lots of players will play with any two or are just playing for fun and dont take it seriously..
  • Options
    chelschels Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2010
    dtw your call on the river is a bit crazy hun but apart from that keep up the good work
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited March 2010
    sorry to say DTW but this car crash is your own making. the 8p bet invites all these players into the pot. it's like offering them stunning odds to crack a monster. even if you had aces and showed them pre-flop then it would still be correct for these people to call and see the flop as you are charging nothing.  How can you play against this? simple - you make the meaningfull raise pre flop and then you don't get 10 -4 sooooted and 9 5 in the pot
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: How Can You Play Against This?:
    sorry to say DTW but this car crash is your own making. the 8p bet invites all these players into the pot. it's like offering them stunning odds to crack a monster. even if you had aces and showed them pre-flop then it would still be correct for these people to call and see the flop as you are charging nothing.  How can you play against this? simple - you make the meaningfull raise pre flop and then you don't get 10 -4 sooooted and 9 5 in the pot
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I bet you still would - you obviously havnt played some of these donks acesover8s ( BIG lool )
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited March 2010

The min-raise is guaranteed to elicit Callers!

When we min-raise in these spots, we are saying "go on, PLEASE, Call me". And you got your wish. 

We see a lot of "how do these donks call here?" & "you gotta laugh" type threads about such situations, Michael. But I always have the same thought, every single time.

If you Raise up with A-Q, what would you prefer to be looked up by? 9-5, or A-K?

Also, please always ask yourself WHY you are raising, what is the aim of the Raise? We raise for different, specific reasons. In this case, what was your intention? 

a) To build the pot?

b) To protect your hand?

c) To gain value?

d) To bluff?

If you ask "why am I raising here?"  every time, it helps a lot. You MUST have a reason to Raise it up, & when you have, you can then follow-through accordingly.

So, the min-raise with A-Q - was it a, b, c, or d, & if so, was a min-raise the best way to achieve that?

Have a good weekend Michael, & take care.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

many thanks for all your comments i only did a small raise as it was a tight table villain had just joined once flop was there i put my raises in imo tho i was crazy to call river just never put the person on a flush figured guv90 had 2 pair have been playing cash for 4 weeks / 2 weeks 2/4 & 2 weeks 4/8 think i will stick to 4/8 & try out 5/10

again thanks to you all for your input

dtw
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited March 2010

N1 Michael.

I can't think of many instances in a 2p 4p game where a min-raise will ever force anyone to fold.

By the bye, what was the purpose of your Raise, based on the 4 specifics I mentioned?
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited March 2010
    My advice dtw dont play this level you know it is not high enough to play.For me 5p/10p is the minimum for you.All the best dav
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think you could have avoided this mess if you had raised more pre-flop.  I really don't see the point in the min-raise.
    Posted by Wilhelm

took your advice m8 had AJ raised to 20p 5xblind  pre flop got called by 2-8 he won so it seems 2/4p cash tables are a bit like 1min roullette so in future when & if i play them i shall treat them like russian roullette  

dtw
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My advice dtw dont play this level you know it is not high enough to play.For me 5p/10p is the minimum for you.All the best dav
    Posted by dav1964

cheers m8 i think you could be right dtw
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    N1 Michael. I can't think of many instances in a 2p 4p game where a min-raise will ever force anyone to fold. By the bye, what was the purpose of your Raise, based on the 4 specifics I mentioned?
    Posted by Tikay10
        hi Tony  pre flop my thinking was to build the pot (a) as it was a tightish table  once flop was down i put a sizable raise in thought if someone was on flush draw they might call (b) when turn came i had top 2 pair so i put a bigger raise in  but should i have shoved all in

anyway am looking forward to the weekend sport & poker & a birthday beer cheers for advice m8

michael